I believe I am entering the uglies NTS

Majkman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like any new parent I am worried about my babies. I believe I am just entering a ugly stage ( and I have no Tylenol), and I am looking for confirmation on what I should be doing. As of now I am letting the inverts look after things but I am wondering what I should be doing for example lowering lighting times, water changes or medicine needed. Just a worried noob trying not to panic and figure out what is best.
20231207_122315.jpg
20231207_122335.jpg

OP
OP
M

Majkman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the tank?

I don't see anything to worry about.
roughly... 3 months old and as you can tell, I am ignorant with just enough knowledge to be a pain to all involved. and although I keep reading , it never ends . People keep replacing comments with more comments . LOL
THANK YOU Since there are few Salt people here, any confirmation is comforting. Since all parameters are within a tolerance level I will continue my journey

danimal1211

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It appears to be diatoms (normal). They will go away after a couple weeks once silicates have been consumed. As long as you have good source water (not tap) it’ll be a one time thing.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks like a happy reef to me, with a scattering of, agreed with danimal, normal diatoms. Those happen, and are harmless.

Most reefs will have some sort of ugly stage at some point. If that does happen, what you should do is very simple: almost nothing. Evaluate whether you have enough cleanup crew, make sure your nutrients are good (not too high, not too low), and let it be.

Pest algae tends to surge over the new real estate of clean surfaces, which in a newer, less stable tank causes the ugly stage, but it'll fade out and be replaced by beneficial algae over time. Just keep conditions as good as you would always keep them and let the tank figure out its balance.

OP
OP
M

Majkman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It appears to be diatoms (normal). They will go away after a couple weeks once silicates have been consumed. As long as you have good source water (not tap) it’ll be a one time thing.
that is exactly what I thought diatoms ( just wanted confirmation) I am using a RODI water source and hoping it is one time ;-)

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agree everything looks fine for this age tank, don't sweat it! Be patient and enjoy the process.

OP
OP
M

Majkman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a happy reef to me, with a scattering of, agreed with danimal, normal diatoms. Those happen, and are harmless.

Most reefs will have some sort of ugly stage at some point. If that does happen, what you should do is very simple: almost nothing. Evaluate whether you have enough cleanup crew, make sure your nutrients are good (not too high, not too low), and let it be.

Pest algae tends to surge over the new real estate of clean surfaces, which in a newer, less stable tank causes the ugly stage, but it'll fade out and be replaced by beneficial algae over time. Just keep conditions as good as you would always keep them and let the tank figure out its balance.
You make it sound so simple... comes with experience I believe

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you for that ... But what does "Be patient" mean ;-D
It basically means more will happen in your/ aquriam setup, you need to be patient to allow cycle/ algae blooms, different stages in your aquarium will happen so you need to be 'patient' to allow this to happen

The more you want to intervene will only cause more problems for you in the future.

Be patient, let your aquarium establish itself

OP
OP
M

Majkman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice ! I can’t see movement in the water. Do you have good surface agitation ? This will help your tank and inhabitants.
The Right side has the HOB overflow box Half way down I have a 600 gph circulation pump .The left side has a return pump just below surface level running about 400 GPH . I have been thinking about a wave pump for the surface and sending circulation pump to stir the bottom . Not sure if I might be going to overkill

OP
OP
M

Majkman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It basically means more will happen in your/ aquriam setup, you need to be patient to allow cycle/ algae blooms, different stages in your aquarium will happen so you need to be 'patient' to allow this to happen

The more you want to intervene will only cause more problems for you in the future.

Be patient, let your aquarium establish itself
LOL I know what you were saying , but to quote a song from Queen " I want it all, I want it now"
Thank you for the positive reinforcement to maintain my patience

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 41 31.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.8%
Back