I believe I am entering the uglies NTS

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Right side has the HOB overflow box Half way down I have a 600 gph circulation pump .The left side has a return pump just below surface level running about 400 GPH . I have been thinking about a wave pump for the surface and sending circulation pump to stir the bottom . Not sure if I might be going to overkill
As long as you can see good movement agitation at the surface, you’re okay. To achieve this you need a pump that’s aimed at the surface or some other equipment that disturbs surface.

OP
OP
M

Majkman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you can see good movement agitation at the surface, you’re okay. To achieve this you need a pump that’s aimed at the surface or some other equipment that disturbs surface.
Keep in touch I believe the 22' depth may need another surface agitator

OP
OP
M

Majkman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our tanks are at about the same age :)

What are your nitrate and phosphate levels?
Since it has been a few days I just redid those tests using API kit (which is why I stated earlier within parameters)
NO3 --- 0
PO4---- .25 -.75 I am thinking .25 but hint of blue

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
To correct low nutrients, make sure you're feeding enough (minimum of once daily, ideally smaller meals twice a day or more), and lower your export. Reduce or remove chemical filter media, and reduce water changes.

Most tanks will do well with phos at 0.03 or higher and nitrates somewhere between 5-20. Higher nitrates may be fine depending on the corals. API test kits are notoriously difficult to read, so you may want to invest in something better at some point.

And the good news is, it really is that simple! The ugly stage is no big deal- it just looks bad. As long as you keep an eye out and make sure no cyano or hair algae grows over/onto corals (which can be pretty easily prevented by manual spot-cleaning if you see it), it won't hurt anything.

OP
OP
M

Majkman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To correct low nutrients, make sure you're feeding enough (minimum of once daily, ideally smaller meals twice a day or more), and lower your export. Reduce or remove chemical filter media, and reduce water changes.

Most tanks will do well with phos at 0.03 or higher and nitrates somewhere between 5-20. Higher nitrates may be fine depending on the corals. API test kits are notoriously difficult to read, so you may want to invest in something better at some point.

And the good news is, it really is that simple! The ugly stage is no big deal- it just looks bad. As long as you keep an eye out and make sure no cyano or hair algae grows over/onto corals (which can be pretty easily prevented by manual spot-cleaning if you see it), it won't hurt anything.
Feeding coral and fish min 2x Day I will turn off skimmer for a bit and maybe small ammonia doses until I can boost the nitrates. Thank you for the guidance

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 49 25.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 62 32.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.1%
Back