I can’t keep alkalinity and PH under control

takey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was hoping someone could shed some advice on this problem! I’m in the process of upgrading to a 30gal tank from a nano tank I had and so far the tank is cycled but I’ve been having a hard time keeping alk and PH up. There is nothing in the tank except for a couple rocks transferred from my old tank and some cured dry rock. Right now my ph is at 7.64 using a probe and cross checked with Red Sea test, alk is at 7.7 DKH using a Hannah checker and Red Sea test and calcium is at 454 ppm with a Hannah checker. I’ve been adding bicarb to increase alk and PH since I didn’t see any difference when using carbonate. I tried the aeration test and the outdoor cup increased to 7.86 and the indoor cup increased to 7.78. After dosing bicarb the alk and ph rise to 7.9 alk and then drop back down to the previous level the next day. I’m guessing the cycle is using up the available alkalinity which is dropping the ph but anyone have any advice oh how to keep alk at around 8.5 and ph around 8?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was hoping someone could shed some advice on this problem! I’m in the process of upgrading to a 30gal tank from a nano tank I had and so far the tank is cycled but I’ve been having a hard time keeping alk and PH up. There is nothing in the tank except for a couple rocks transferred from my old tank and some cured dry rock. Right now my ph is at 7.64 using a probe and cross checked with Red Sea test, alk is at 7.7 DKH using a Hannah checker and Red Sea test and calcium is at 454 ppm with a Hannah checker. I’ve been adding bicarb to increase alk and PH since I didn’t see any difference when using carbonate. I tried the aeration test and the outdoor cup increased to 7.86 and the indoor cup increased to 7.78. After dosing bicarb the alk and ph rise to 7.9 alk and then drop back down to the previous level the next day. I’m guessing the cycle is using up the available alkalinity which is dropping the ph but anyone have any advice oh how to keep alk at around 8.5 and ph around 8?
I would stop doing anything. Let it settle - unless you're seeing problems with your tank. My guess is that your probe is wrong. I would stop doing anything. Wait 3 days - re-measure at the end. Second your pH is around 8. And I would say - stop measuring. Don't be obsessive The numbers you're seeking are not magic. Many people with similar numbers are successful

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back