I can't be the only one.

rich524

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was lucky enough to come along a ad for a stack of tropical fish hobbyist all from the 80's. Im super excited to have acquired them and its super cool looking back to the ad's from b4 i was born. Is anyone else as giddy about cherishing a piece of time and old school aquarium hobbyist and how they used to do things and even the difference places that were in the industry. Yeppers im a nerd for the hobby and im ok with that!

16812543898862098097556720514072.jpg

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I can feel the desire to look at the publications from the 80’s , and I do have them but the only difference is they weren’t before I was born :cool: The hobby today is way more sophisticated then it was back then . A lot more knowledge as well as clubs like this which we didn’t have back then . We had clubs but we had to go somewhere to meet up with people or attend shows which their weren’t as many but then the internet wasn’t around either. The equipment and the way the standards have changed and in what little knowledge was available back then . Enjoy your reads:cool:

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it's always nostalgic getting old school aquarists info and stories
And for me it’s a reminder of how older I’m getting lol!!! But I know what you mean . Every once in a while I’ll dig through a old book or magazine and flip through the articles and check out the advertising which may seem hard to believe some are still around selling . Fun stuff :cool:

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always get a kick out of the difference in pricing !!! Ouch!! :astonished-face: :cool:
Of course the price difference in just the last couple years is staggering as well .

OP
OP
rich524

rich524

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always get a kick out of the difference in pricing !!! Ouch!! :astonished-face: :cool:
Everyone in the coral hobby just needs to stop being greedy and to more p2p trading instead of just driving the price up cause you happened upon success and unobtanium doesn't me only a select couple should get rich off of. Eventually it may go down but i won't hold my breath. I will just continue to help others if and when i can. Or marine life in general. I will probably hear **** for this but meh. Reefing should be available loved and cherished by Everyone.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone in the coral hobby just needs to stop being greedy and to more p2p trading instead of just driving the price up cause you happened upon success and unobtanium doesn't me only a select couple should get rich off of. Eventually it may go down but i won't hold my breath. I will just continue to help others if and when i can. Or marine life in general. I will probably hear **** for this but meh. Reefing should be available loved and cherished by Everyone.
Everything is susceptible to price gouging . Demand equals higher prices . As soon as or if demand goes down prices will fall .

scottkoji

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was lucky enough to come along a ad for a stack of tropical fish hobbyist all from the 80's. Im super excited to have acquired them and its super cool looking back to the ad's from b4 i was born. Is anyone else as giddy about cherishing a piece of time and old school aquarium hobbyist and how they used to do things and even the difference places that were in the industry. Yeppers im a nerd for the hobby and im ok with that!

16812543898862098097556720514072.jpg
No, you're not the only one. This is awesome.

OP
OP
rich524

rich524

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything is susceptible to price gouging . Demand equals higher prices . As soon as or if demand goes down prices will fall .
I have seen so many things die or go to the brink of death at my not so local petco. The price is to high and they don't have experience to keep everything till it sells . It's so sad.

OP
OP
rich524

rich524

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any ads from this guy? I think he had full page ads "stacked to the ceiling reef filter sale". I bought some blue bio balls from him back in the 80s, back when you filled out a form and sent a personal check.
20230411_203637~2.jpg
Not yet but now u kinda got me hoping i do find 1 just to see.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s too funny but I actually used to breed and raise discus back in the day and met jack Wattley a few times . I did buy a couple of his turquoise . He later got interested in poisonous frogs from South America . His strains are still alive today . If I remember correctly their is a guy that he trained or had working with him who took over the biz . I’m sure if you google it you’ll find him and his operation which he used to allow people in by appointment.

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find all old ads to be kinda neat. Gives you a good feel for how truly relative everything is in terms of ideas/societal norms. Slightly more depressing is how fleeting most things really are.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would want to read the troubleshooting section and compare to today's knowledge

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 81 44.8%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 83 45.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 17 9.4%
Back