I cant catch this yellow tang! Help!

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This fish is way too smart.

First i tried leaving a big net in the tank for a week and putting food in it and he never came near it.

I've been starving the tank now and only putting food in a fish trap and he wont go in. I have literally had times when both of my other tangs are in there and could be caught but never the yellow.

Ive also considered hitting it with some bright light in the middle of the night to daze it but of course he sleeps in the back behind my rock structure.

Im not against using fishing line and hook but hes so skittish and im not sure how to avoid hooking all of my other fish before him.

Ugh i dont know what else to try, help!

OP
OP
xxkenny90xx

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20200630_203530_HDR.jpg

OP
OP
xxkenny90xx

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tiny hook w/ a treat like you said already. Pinch the barb down or file it off. Don't rip it's lip pulling it out.

Ya this is the direction im leaning. Do you know what size hook would work? I have a feeling I wont have that size in my tackle box.. Have you done this successfully before? I already have someone that wants to pick him up so I dont want to damage him

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs are usually easy to trap with a fish trap.

If not, the high and dry method works well for tangs. How big is the tank?

OP
OP
xxkenny90xx

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
High and dry?? Tank is 112 gallon with tons of rock and hiding places.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening,

The last trick I have in my arsenal is boxing him in. I keep some plastic screening around. The stuff you can sometimes find at craft stores used for knitting and needlepoint. It is somewhat stiff but also has holes. I use it for tons of things. In past I have gotten a size big enough to start slowly section off the tank until I section him off into a corner. Basically a temporary wall in the tank.

this is an example. Allows you to cut down his area.

OP
OP
xxkenny90xx

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the smallest hook i have, I feel like it's still too big, what do you think?
20200708_175458_HDR.jpg

OP
OP
xxkenny90xx

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening,

The last trick I have in my arsenal is boxing him in. I keep some plastic screening around. The stuff you can sometimes find at craft stores used for knitting and needlepoint. It is somewhat stiff but also has holes. I use it for tons of things. In past I have gotten a size big enough to start slowly section off the tank until I section him off into a corner. Basically a temporary wall in the tank.

this is an example. Allows you to cut down his area.

Oooh i like this idea! Im getting a bit impatient as I've been try to catch it for 2 weeks but I think I'll give this a shot before I use the hook method. All I have on hand is egg crate, is that fine or is the stuff you linked somehow better?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
High and dry?? Tank is 112 gallon with tons of rock and hiding places.

You drain the tank, leaving a few inches in the bottom. Then you can easily catch it.

Then pump the water back in. It really isn't as bad as it sounds. With a couple rubbermaids and a largish pump, it doesn't take very long.

I have caught damsels, wrasses, and blennies with a hook. I don't like the hook for the tang.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used the glass from my living room tables before, use it as a trap on the corner of the tank and since it’s glass it usually doesn’t know it’s trapped in and then scoop with a net. Otherwise drain the tank. Tangs are no fun catching in larger tanks for sure!

jazzfisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck! I have a mated pair of scissor tail dartfish I need to catch (getting too big for my tank) . Does the fish trap seem to work otherwise- where did you get it?

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the stuff I use because it is flexible. You can fasten sheets together to make it the dimensions of the tank. The egg crate is too stiff. Gotta be carefull around coral and stuff. Also with the flexible stuff I can kind of guide the fish . Maim thing is watch those rock and coral. That’s is where the plastic mesh is a bit more forgiving.

Just keep cutting down the tank section by section until he is in the corner.

grisha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try 8” section of 6” of pvc pipe on the sand bottom near rick structure. Put small rocks in it.
Teach fish to hide there when you “try catching” it. In few days wait for tang to go in and close both ends with large nets

OP
OP
xxkenny90xx

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It works great! Almost all of my other fish go into it all the time. Its just an acclimation box that baited and tyed some fishing line to the door so i can pull it closed when the fish enters

OP
OP
xxkenny90xx

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It works great! Almost all of my other fish go into it all the time. Its just an acclimation box that baited and tyed some fishing line to the door so i can pull it closed when the fish enters
Good luck! I have a mated pair of scissor tail dartfish I need to catch (getting too big for my tank) . Does the fish trap seem to work otherwise- where did you get it?

OP
OP
xxkenny90xx

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You drain the tank, leaving a few inches in the bottom. Then you can easily catch it.

Then pump the water back in. It really isn't as bad as it sounds. With a couple rubbermaids and a largish pump, it doesn't take very long.

I have caught damsels, wrasses, and blennies with a hook. I don't like the hook for the tang.

Ah gotcha. I have my doubts because he runs to the back of the tank at the first sign of trouble but this seems easy so I'll give this a shot first thing!

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lay a big nylon curtain on the sand. Wait until hes comfortable with it. Then scoop him up.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 34.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 23.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 21 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back