I can't tell if this algae means my tank is healthy or unhealthy?

Jhbard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20240314_145800.jpg
20240314_145750.jpg
not sure about the bubbles at the top of my tank either bad thing?
20240314_145740.jpg

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
part of the uglies. in your previous thread it was suggested to cut lights to reduce this from occurring. i see you chose not to.

the bubbles are likely cyano or dino's.

time to add a clean up crew; nerite snails, cerith snails, trochus snails, astraea snails(both regular and ninja star). the only crabs i would ever put in my tank are: pitho crab, scarlet reef hermit crab, and dwarf blue legged hermit crab. you can also add copepods to help seed the tank and help clean it up

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like some green hair algae is growing. Healthy tank. Get some snails and a few hermit crabs to help keep that lawn mowed until you have corals and fish. Just dont kill it with chemicals

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Normal. A lack of algae in mature tanks just means there’s enough in the tank eating it, or too little real estate to grow it
in OP's case, he doesn't have a mature tank. yet. he cycled it not long ago.

looking at the pictures again, i can see that there isn't enough surface agitation. there is too much foam on the surface of the water, indicating you're not pulling out nutrients fast enough meaning your algae and nutrients are going to subsequently continue getting worse unless a skimmer or improved level of filtration is added

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

looking at the pictures again, i can see that there isn't enough surface agitation. there is too much foam on the surface of the water, indicating you're not pulling out nutrients fast enough meaning your algae and nutrients are going to subsequently continue getting worse unless a skimmer or improved level of filtration is added
Agree, I don't see any powerhead in the tank.

krollins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like some green hair algae is growing. Healthy tank. Get some snails and a few hermit crabs to help keep that lawn mowed until you have corals and fish. Just dont kill it with chemicals
I think the might be GHA. An urchin is more effective to remove it.

OP
OP
Jhbard

Jhbard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

First saltwater tank lots of dumb Decisions 2.5 gallon with a 10 gallon hang on back filter I don't know if I have a enough space for a better filter or a skimmer I do daily water changes could macroalgae help?

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
First saltwater tank lots of dumb Decisions 2.5 gallon with a 10 gallon hang on back filter I don't know if I have a enough space for a better filter or a skimmer I do daily water changes could macroalgae help?
pico/nano tanks are probably more challenging to keep than say a 20G or bigger.

macro algae can help, but really you need inverts in there to help with anything that is growing that you can't see. look into the icecap and tunze nano skimmers or get a second 10g HOB filter for mroe water agitation

OP
OP
Jhbard

Jhbard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pico/nano tanks are probably more challenging to keep than say a 20G or bigger.

macro algae can help, but really you need inverts in there to help with anything that is growing that you can't see. look into the icecap and tunze nano skimmers or get a second 10g HOB filter for mroe water agitation
Thank you this is just what I needed to hear.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using rodi water in those changes?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get premixed saltwater from my LFS it's very cheap there.
Most likely your problem… invest in your own so you know it’s pure.. Amazon sells a little Ro buddy that hooks to a sink for like $50 or something

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 44 81.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.6%
Back