I can't tighten my bulkheads

Benoit Martin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I messed up pretty bad and I need ideas to try to recover.

I am in the middle of a build involving a 120G SCA tank and a DIY stand. When I did my first water test last weekend I had some major leaks on all 3 bulkheads underneath the tank. I have only hand tighten them and I suspect it's not right enough

The problem I am facing is that the nut part of the bulkheads are receded in the holes I made in the stand's top 3/4 plywood. The bulkheads are a little over 2 inches in diameter and I made the whole 3 inches so I only have barely half an inch all around the nut to grab it.
To make matter worse, I have already glued my pipe and one side of a union on each bulkheads so I can't take them out.

I have tried many sizes and shapes of plyers, but none of them fit in the holes of the plywood or give me enough grip to turn.

I'm going to try and be creative tomorrow to build some tool but I'm not very confident I'll build something that works considering the lack of space.

Any ideas are welcome and don't hesitate to call me an idiot to get myself in this situation in the first place [emoji39]

Thank you!

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Maybe you can try one of these.
Screenshot_20190119-065851_Google.jpeg

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Obvious now I imagine, but you always need to give yourself plenty of access space around the bulkheads should they require servicing. If you can remove some of the encroaching plywood, that’d be a good start.

Even hand tight, bulkheads should not have ‘major’ leaks so I’d suspect you installed them incorrectly (like having the gasket on the wrong side). You might be able to make a wrench out of a piece of PVC. I did this once before concluding it was easier to just make the cutout bigger in the stand.

Last edited:

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another tool idea....adjustable vice grips:

Adjustable Vice Grips.jpg

As far as the installation of the bulkhead, regardless of what side the nut is on, the gasket always....ALWAYS...goes on the flange side.

OP
OP
Benoit Martin

Benoit Martin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually hand tight works just fine. Can you show us a picture? Sometimes getting a look can help with a solution :)
Hand tighten definitely did not work so there's got to be something else wrong which really worries me now.
That's what it looks like.
3f4f7ae03bda393eff4075e37cd6780b.jpg
0cd78d848337b2bfd985fc92903c92eb.jpg
39ff187c5152a01def8ff2184d0b197d.jpg

OP
OP
Benoit Martin

Benoit Martin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Benoit Martin

Benoit Martin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also make sure where everything seats against the glass is clean...no debris and no glass burrs...
I'll have to figure out a way to do that because the overflow is 2 feet deep. It's hard to get to the bottom, my arms are too short

OP
OP
Benoit Martin

Benoit Martin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Obvious now I imagine, but you always need to give yourself plenty of access space around the bulkheads should they require servicing. If you can remove some of the encroaching plywood, that’d be a good start.

Even hand tight, bulkheads should not have ‘major’ leaks so I’d suspect you installed them incorrectly (like having the gasket on the wrong side). You might be able to make a wrench out of a piece of PVC. I did this once before concluding it was easier to just make the cutout bigger in the stand.
You have no idea how many times I said "I should have" [emoji4]

I was worried about the integrity of the stand and didn't to have a big cutout but that clearly the wrong decision. I guess I was over thinking it again.

I thought about removing some of the plywood but haven't done it yet because it makes me nervous to chisel away so close to the glass

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Maybe I'm missing something but why don't you just unscrew the bulkheads and lift the tank off the stand. You can then tighten them up and cut the hole bigger at the same time. Not sure but by the pics it looks like the bulkheads can fit through the holes.

OP
OP
Benoit Martin

Benoit Martin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I'm missing something but why don't you just unscrew the bulkheads and lift the tank off the stand. You can then tighten them up and cut the hole bigger at the same time. Not sure but by the pics it looks like the bulkheads can fit through the holes.
Tank is over 200lbs and nobody in the house can help me to move it. I'd have to bribe some friends to come over and help me. I was hoping to avoid going through the trouble of moving the tank but I have been considering it since this morning

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wish I was closer. I am following because I'll be setting up the same tank in a few months and I'm trying to figure out as many things as possible. Moving it now and making the cutout bigger will cause less grief in the future! Good luck![emoji4]

Protein Skimmers – Are They Really Necessary?

• YES

Votes: 14 50.0%
  • NO

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back