I can't tighten my bulkheads

Mikeneedsahobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could cut the pipe just above the union stubs. Make a pvc wrench then glue on replacement union stubs.

Or cut a bit higher and use a coupler and keep the union stubs.

Mikeneedsahobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or make a pvc pipe wrench liked homer said. Split it in half. Put around your pipe and use a clamp to hold it together while you tighten the nut.

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You MIGHT be able to get just enough bite on the bulkhead nuts with a pair of narrow-jawed 12" or 16" tongue and groove pliers to snug them down a quarter-turn:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-16-in-Groove-Joint-Pliers-48066/203300076

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Crescent-12-in-V-Jaw-Tongue-and-Groove-Pliers-RT412CV/205034464

ANOTHER option would be to get an old flathead screwdriver, place it against the ridge of the nut, and tap it with a hammer. The screwdriver blade will dig into the plastic, creating a indent where it can get a 'bite', causing the nut to turn as you tap the screwdriver with the hammer.

The only example I photos I have is where I did the same to remove a nut on a motorcycle engine when I didn't have the right sized socket for it.
Here is the divet left by the screwdriver blade:
divet.jpg

And here the screwdriver blade is resting in the divet:
w driver.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Benoit Martin

Benoit Martin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Benoit Martin

Benoit Martin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just realized that the 2 bulkheads that seem to leak the most are the ones that have the main drain and the return which have heavier piping
I did not put any support for the piping so it might be twisting the bulkheads because of the weight.
The pipes are not very long but do you think that this may be a reason for the leaking? I will add support either way to be safe but that would help explain the leak
a230cab59ed7ce03679af26a7b3e2fc7.jpg

OP
OP
Benoit Martin

Benoit Martin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, decision made, biting the bullet, it's the right thing to do... Going to cut off the pipes, move the tank, cut the hole bigger, and put everything back together.

Thank you all for the suggestions and advice. I will post some updates on the progress and final result

Awesome Dennis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not just pick up the tank and prop it up just enough to get the pliers in between the tank and plywood. You can get channel lock in and snug it up and set everything back down?

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, decision made, biting the bullet, it's the right thing to do... Going to cut off the pipes, move the tank, cut the hole bigger, and put everything back together.

Thank you all for the suggestions and advice. I will post some updates on the progress and final result

Excellent decision. The right thing to do and glad you're doing so. You will appreciate it later down the line.

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news, no leaks and water is flowing.

Thanks again for all the great suggestions and advice and did steering me in the right direction. Bulkheads are now accessible for servicing.

43c57fa71b194eeb7d750375ebf56ae1.jpg
3b256c6d436f3b578c49c901ad2e524d.jpg

Looks so much better and now no worries. :)

Great decision and well worth the time.

Back