I.D. Blue algae growing in refugium

parker11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have a 50 gallon low boy with a 30 gallon refugium. The tank has been running for a little over two months. All has been well thus far (knocks on wood), but I just noticed these blue spots forming on the rock in the refugium. The tank was started with rock that had been previously used in other tanks but dried out for months, possibly even years before using in this tank. I found some blue hypnea at my LFS around a month ago that seems to be doing pretty good, if anything it’s lost abit of its coloration. But I think that’s due to lack of light exposure because it happens more on the bottom. The lighting is an Ai refugium light, I can post my settings if that would help.

I looked up blue spots in reef tanks for a while and all I could find was blue coral one algae and sponges. This is my second reef tank, and my other already has coraline so I’m familiar with the process of it forming. This came on way too quick to be coralline in my opinion, I don’t think the tank is mature enough. The other thing I saw was sponges but I’ve seen those in my other tank and it doesn’t resemble any of the ones I’ve seen. The photo I attached is with the lights off and my phone flash on. But when the my AI Fug light is on it looks even more blue than it does on these pics. Just want to make sure it isn’t anything bad because it almost looks like mold hahaha. I can also post pictures with the lights on tomorrow. Any experience or advice is appreciated, thank you!

FAB2E4B2-F5F3-495F-8883-0AFA05961C9D.jpeg

OP
OP
P

parker11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have a 50 gallon low boy with a 30 gallon refugium. The tank has been running for a little over two months. All has been well thus far (knocks on wood), but I just noticed these blue spots forming on the rock in the refugium. The tank was started with rock that had been previously used in other tanks but dried out for months, possibly even years before using in this tank. I found some blue hypnea at my LFS around a month ago that seems to be doing pretty good, if anything it’s lost abit of its coloration. But I think that’s due to lack of light exposure because it happens more on the bottom. The lighting is an Ai refugium light, I can post my settings if that would help.

I looked up blue spots in reef tanks for a while and all I could find was blue coral one algae and sponges. This is my second reef tank, and my other already has coraline so I’m familiar with the process of it forming. This came on way too quick to be coralline in my opinion, I don’t think the tank is mature enough. The other thing I saw was sponges but I’ve seen those in my other tank and it doesn’t resemble any of the ones I’ve seen. The photo I attached is with the lights off and my phone flash on. But when the my AI Fug light is on it looks even more blue than it does on these pics. Just want to make sure it isn’t anything bad because it almost looks like mold hahaha. I can also post pictures with the lights on tomorrow. Any experience or advice is appreciated, thank you!

FAB2E4B2-F5F3-495F-8883-0AFA05961C9D.jpeg Here’s another photo

Attachments

• 2601F7BD-624C-46F6-A298-7C678C7F6227.jpeg
    2601F7BD-624C-46F6-A298-7C678C7F6227.jpeg
    242 KB · Views: 34

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look up blue hypnea

OP
OP
P

parker11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a photo under red light

Attachments

• 67DDED5D-550F-4F5A-9BEE-8139D8C33EF2.jpeg
    67DDED5D-550F-4F5A-9BEE-8139D8C33EF2.jpeg
    248.6 KB · Views: 22

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 55 30.9%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 47 26.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 36 20.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back