I Did’t Know!

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Dinoflagellates​

Dinoflagellates are the other primary form of large phytoplankton with about 2,000 species. Unlike diatoms, dinoflagellates are mobile through the use of a flagella. Also unlike diatoms, they do not have an external skeleton made of silica, however they are protected by cellulose. dinoflagellate - Ceratocorys sp.Dinoflagellates are typically solitary and do not form chains like diatoms. Like the diatom they reproduce through fission. Once divided, each half retains half of the original cellulose armor and replaces the missing half to form a new whole. Some dinoflagellates can produce toxins that are released into seawater. When there are large blooms, a phenomenon known as red tide occurs. In some cases increased levels of dinoflagellate toxin may cause other marine life to die. The symbiotic algae found in many corals, or zooxanthellae, are actually a non-mobile species of dinoflagellate. Dinoflagellates have strong bioluminescence and have been a source of fascination for sailors and other mariners as their ships pass through waves which become lit up by these organisms at night. See also “What are dinoflagellates?”

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering what I know about Sponge Bob’s diet. I think sponges eat dinos.

Other may - but I do not have insight in this. But in general - if there is living or new organic matter - there is probably some organism that have learned to get the needed carbon from them.

In my case - I believe that my corals and water movement function as a living filter for all free swimming organisms

Sincerely Lasse
“In my case - I believe that my corals and water movement function as a living filter for all free swimming organisms”

@Lasse

Lets expand corals to include diverse filter feeders:

https://www.coris.noaa.gov/activities/resourceCD/resources/sponge_lp.pdf
This does not detail what marine sponges capture, but it is good science on how sponges process carbon in marine food webs.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

A Multi-Species Investigation of Sponges’ Filtering Activity towards Marine Microalgae

Chronic discharge of surplus organic matter is a typical side effect of fish aquaculture, occasionally leading to coastal eutrophication and excessive phytoplankton growth. Owing to their innate filter-feeding capacity, marine sponges could mitigate environmental ...
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
This gets into what sponges remove from the marine “food web”.
Sponges (Porifera), the oldest extant filter-feeding macroinvertebrates [7], have recently been viewed as promising candidates for IMTA scenarios [8,9] due to their capability to filter large volumes of water [10,11,12] and retain microorganisms or other particles of various sizes, ranging from 0.1 to 50 μm [13,14,15], with high efficiency (75–99%) [11,14,16,17]. Having developed intricate patterns of symbiotic associations with microbial communities, sponges are among the most diverse and complex holobionts in the marine environment [18] and possess unique feeding mechanisms. Associated microbiomes render sponges capable of distinct nutritional strategies that extend beyond the standard heterotrophy described above. Hence, depending on the species and environmental parameters, sponges can benefit from photosynthesis [17], or feed on dissolved organic matter (DOM) [19]. In addition to these appealing characteristics, sponges do sustain a “gold mine” of bioactive compounds with pharmaceutical [20] and cosmetic potential [21], while the biomass of some species can be exploited for the production of bath sponges [22]. By offering several valorization opportunities, cultivation of sponges can become an extra source of profit for fish farmers and, thus, their inclusion in IMTA systems is rather tempting

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think sponges eat dinos.
I haven't been able to find any info indicating that they eat dinoflagellates (which is actually kind of surprising to me), but they do eat diatoms, bacteria, and even viruses.*

*Sources (for virus feeding/removal - the diatoms and bacteria I can show in other papers if wanted):

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ISpeakForTheSeas

Nothing about what sponges process surprises me anymore.

@Paul B

@Timfish

@Lasse

Note that dinoflaggelets are considered large or nano plankton. Also note that nano plankton are a substantial part of this Mediterranean sponge diet.

This is one species of sponge and what it removed from water column.

Natural diet and grazing rate of the temperate sponge Dysidea avara (Demospongiae, Dendroceratida) throughout an annual cycle

Natural diet and grazing rate of the temperate sponge Dysidea avara(Demospongiae, Dendroceratida) throughout an annual cycle​

Marta Ribes*, Rafel Coma, Josep-Maria Gili​

Institut de Ciències del Mar (CSIC), Passeig Joan de Borbó s/n, E-08039 Barcelona, Spain
*E-mail: [email protected]
ABSTRACT: Sponges are one of the major invertebrate groups inhabiting hard-bottom communities worldwide. In this study, we measured in situ rates of grazing on DOC (dissolved organic carbon), POC (particulate organic carbon), and pico-, nano- and microplankton for the common temperate sponge Dysidea avara throughout a yearly cycle. The natural diet of the species was highly heterogeneous and included procaryotes (heterotrophic bacteria, Prochlorococcus sp., Synechococcussp.) and eucaryotes (protozoa, phytoplankton, and ciliates) ranging in size from 0.5 ± 0.3 (heterotrophic bacteria) to 70 ± 0.3 µm (pennate diatoms). Procaryotic cell clearance rates were higher than those for the other groups, suggesting a higher grazing efficiency upon these prey types. Specific clearance rates showed a pattern of decrease with sponge size increase, although they did not vary with prey concentration or with temperature. Overall, procaryotes contributed 74 ± 14% of the total ingested carbon, pico- and nanoeucaryotes contributed 11 ± 3%, and phytoplankton contributed 11 ± 10%. Therefore, Dysidea avara obtained 85% of its ingested carbon from the fraction smaller than 5 µm and 15% from the fraction larger than 5 µm. However, the partial contributions of the different groups varied seasonally, following the planktonic composition of the water column. During winter, phytoplankton was an important component of the total uptake (26%), whereas during the rest of the year it contributed less than 7% of the total uptake. The capacity of this sponge to feed on a broad size range of prey allowed it to maintain rather constant food uptake throughout the year. These results show the importance of particle type (size) for selective uptake in sponges, as well as the relevance of phytoplankton in the sponge diet. This trophic plasticity may represent an advantage for the species because it attenuates the effects of seasonal fluctuations in the planktonic community. This plasticity in trophic ecology may be one of the main factors contributing to the worldwide abundance and distribution of sponges despite large spatial and temporal variations in food sources.

KEY WORDS: Suspension feeding · Natural diet · Grazing rate · Prey selection · Sponges · Dysidea avara · Mediterranean Sea

Patrick

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My biggest takeaway from the summar/conclusion:

Sponges are excellant parasite predators especially considering that sponges can assimilate a wide size range of prey, including ICH & Dinoflagellates.

“The capacity of this sponge to feed on a broad size range of prey allowed it to maintain rather constant food uptake throughout the year. These results show the importance of particle type (size) for selective uptake in sponges, as well as the relevance of phytoplankton in the sponge diet. This trophic plasticity may represent an advantage for the species because it attenuates the effects of seasonal fluctuations in the planktonic community. This plasticity in trophic ecology may be one of the main factors contributing to the worldwide abundance and distribution of sponges despite large spatial and temporal variations in food sources.“

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Considering what I know about Sponge Bob’s diet. I think sponges eat dinos.

“In my case - I believe that my corals and water movement function as a living filter for all free swimming organisms”

@Lasse

Lets expand corals to include diverse filter feeders:

https://www.coris.noaa.gov/activities/resourceCD/resources/sponge_lp.pdf
This does not detail what marine sponges capture, but it is good science on how sponges process carbon in marine food webs.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

A Multi-Species Investigation of Sponges’ Filtering Activity towards Marine Microalgae

Chronic discharge of surplus organic matter is a typical side effect of fish aquaculture, occasionally leading to coastal eutrophication and excessive phytoplankton growth. Owing to their innate filter-feeding capacity, marine sponges could mitigate environmental ...
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
This gets into what sponges remove from the marine “food web”.
Sponges (Porifera), the oldest extant filter-feeding macroinvertebrates [7], have recently been viewed as promising candidates for IMTA scenarios [8,9] due to their capability to filter large volumes of water [10,11,12] and retain microorganisms or other particles of various sizes, ranging from 0.1 to 50 μm [13,14,15], with high efficiency (75–99%) [11,14,16,17]. Having developed intricate patterns of symbiotic associations with microbial communities, sponges are among the most diverse and complex holobionts in the marine environment [18] and possess unique feeding mechanisms. Associated microbiomes render sponges capable of distinct nutritional strategies that extend beyond the standard heterotrophy described above. Hence, depending on the species and environmental parameters, sponges can benefit from photosynthesis [17], or feed on dissolved organic matter (DOM) [19]. In addition to these appealing characteristics, sponges do sustain a “gold mine” of bioactive compounds with pharmaceutical [20] and cosmetic potential [21], while the biomass of some species can be exploited for the production of bath sponges [22]. By offering several valorization opportunities, cultivation of sponges can become an extra source of profit for fish farmers and, thus, their inclusion in IMTA systems is rather tempting

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“The symbiotic algae found in many corals, or zooxanthellae, are actually a non-mobile species of dinoflagellate. Dinoflagellates have strong bioluminescence and have been a source of fascination for sailors and other mariners as their ships pass through waves which become lit up by these organisms“

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back