I don’t even know what to do at this point...

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve currently took a hang on sump off my tank as it was not running how I intended... now I’m getting algae which I think is from a recycle. I’m not really sure how to approach this in the most efficient manner. Water changes? Bacteria? Vacuuming it out? Urchins? I have some sand dollars and a conch in the sandbed right now but I’m not sure how to deal with the rocks or lessen algae on the glass. Any suggestions? Every time I look at my tank the algae just dampens my spirit.
F234428A-8978-41F3-902B-E117B11DB896.jpeg
2AC5AFA7-C52A-4BF7-9C36-C258294BE5E0.jpeg
857AFC95-6EEA-42FB-A157-ED1600D9409D.jpeg

melanotaenia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any blue leg hermits? Blue legs will take care of algae on the rocks, but you have to siphon out the long strands of it, anything left over they will pick off. How big is your tank? I have a 34 gallon and have about 30-40 of them.

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was algae growing in the sump? If so when you you removed the sump the algae started growing in your display. Algae grows like crazy in my sump but won’t grow in my display except a fine film on the glass I will scrap off every week or so

OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any blue leg hermits? Blue legs will take care of algae on the rocks, but you have to siphon out the long strands of it, anything left over they will pick off. How big is your tank? I have a 34 gallon and have about 30-40 of them.
I have a forty gallon and seven hermits at the most

OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was algae growing in the sump? If so when you you removed the sump the algae started growing in your display. Algae grows like crazy in my sump but won’t grow in my display except a fine film on the glass I will scrap off every week or so
It was... is there anyway I can lessen this algae growth?

Lizbeli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your algae looks pretty minimal. I have the same problem right now after my refugium light burnt out. Now hair algae is preferring to grow in my display. Don't sweat it! Rather have hair algae than anything else.

Your options include: adding more clean up crew. Tuxedo urchins are very good for algae. But they are work horses and you may have to feed them once in a while once your tank is spotless.. hand pick the algae and increase the amount of snails to take care of the short strands. More water changes to lower phosphates. Try making a better place for algae to grow (sounds like you were trying this with your hob sump) maybe you needed stronger lighting or a longer photoperiod in there.

OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your algae looks pretty minimal. I have the same problem right now after my refugium light burnt out. Now hair algae is preferring to grow in my display. Don't sweat it! Rather have hair algae than anything else.

Your options include: adding more clean up crew. Tuxedo urchins are very good for algae. But they are work horses and you may have to feed them once in a while once your tank is spotless.. hand pick the algae and increase the amount of snails to take care of the short strands. More water changes to lower phosphates. Try making a better place for algae to grow (sounds like you were trying this with your hob sump) maybe you needed stronger lighting or a longer photoperiod in there.
Thanks for the information! Yeah I had a sump under my display that used a vacuum to pull water down and that went horrendous. So I removed it. I might look at HOB sumps though Since I’ve never really heard of those...

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Reduce white light intensity on tank. Also is tank at or near a window?
Add cleanup crew: 4 of each- Turbo , astrea, nassarius, trochus and nerite snails and about 8 blue leg hermit crabs.

Lizbeli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the information! Yeah I had a sump under my display that used a vacuum to pull water down and that went horrendous. So I removed it. I might look at HOB sumps though Since I’ve never really heard of those...

Not sure what you were looking to spend. Take a look at some hob refugiums- like the CPR Aquatic Fuge

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tang, two clowns, chalk bass. (I know once the tang gets big I’ll have to move her) and that’s it. Ever few days I put in a few pellets and make sure everyone gets one or two.
:eek: pretty light feeding schedule.
surprised the tang isn't doing supplemental feeding on the algae.
tiger conchs work well for me on keeping the sand bed clean.

Neuel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does Vibrant and weekly if not twice weekly h2o changes. Till it's cleared up. Shouldn't take to long.

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tang, two clowns, chalk bass. (I know once the tang gets big I’ll have to move her) and that’s it. Ever few days I put in a few pellets and make sure everyone gets one or two.

Algae aside, feed your fish. “A few pellets every few days” won’t cut it. These aren’t large constrictors you can feed once a quarter.

OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:eek: pretty light feeding schedule.
surprised the tang isn't doing supplemental feeding on the algae.
tiger conchs work well for me on keeping the sand bed clean.
Maybe should I cut back on feeding so she eats algae? Or continue as I am. Also yeah I have a large Florida Fighting Conch the size of my palm

OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae aside, feed your fish. “A few pellets every few days” won’t cut it. These aren’t large constrictors you can feed once a quarter.
I skip every other day and feed them a good bit, typically until they stop swimming at the surface wanting more food. I also feed the nems and corals that I can feed once or twice a month and they get a real good bite of shrimp then. I’m not starving my fish. They’re nice size and have weight to them. One of the clownfish is a bit overweight.

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ever few days I put in a few pellets and make sure everyone gets one or two.
I skip every other day and feed them a good bit, typically until they stop swimming at the surface wanting more food.

there is a difference between “getting one or two every few days” and “I feed them until they are no longer hungry.”

OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is a difference between “getting one or two every few days” and “I feed them until they are no longer hungry.”
All they need is a few pellets each, then they’re good. Bro I asked about algae problems not feeding critique XD

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back