IMG_1057.JPG
IMG_1056.JPG
a octopus but what is he

Jd120988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id agree with tripdad, it does look just like an aptasia I'd burn the house down and start from scratch.

OP
OP
Bob Escher

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It kind of looks like an aptasia. When looking thru the glass does it look like it has attached it's foot to the glass? If so, kill it with extreme prejudice!
No it's dead I wonder how I got it haven't gotten a new piece of coral in a while ( from WWC) and I dip everything

Jd120988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Omg it's dead those things are unkillable u seriously lucked out remove it's remains and call it a day. Keep an eye out for more because when there's one there is usually more so be cautious. They slip in so easily especially on frag plugs. The seller could have scraped it off the plug so it was visually gone but they regenerate from the smallest amount of tissue left behind so they are very easily introduced no matter how cautious you think you are.

OP
OP
Bob Escher

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found him in a tubing that was attached to a sponge in my refugium.
I pulled the sponge out and put it in my QT tank to mature the tank but I haven't seen any others in my tank anywhere and when I do look close at my tank I look close. But as I said I haven added anything to the tank in weeks well over a month
Strange better look more closely

OP
OP
Bob Escher

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Omg it's dead those things are unkillable u seriously lucked out remove it's remains and call it a day. Keep an eye out for more because when there's one there is usually more so be cautious. They slip in so easily especially on frag plugs. The seller could have scraped it off the plug so it was visually gone but they regenerate from the smallest amount of tissue left behind so they are very easily introduced no matter how cautious you think you are.
Thanks will keep on looking

Killer Karma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info! I was either planing on stopping by there, I live close, or participating in the sale this weekend.

Jd120988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the vendors fault these things are everywhere even if u don't think u have them u probably do or will. I keep a peppermint shrimp in my tank they uaualy do a decent job of eating them right away b4 u even notice them.

Jd120988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also wwc has probably one of the most meticulous procedures for eradicating pests in conparison to others so I wouldn't discredit them as a vendor to purchase from as they really do there best and imo better then everybody else.

OP
OP
Bob Escher

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats interesting. The last few frags I got from WWC had aptasia on them.
Oh really? Wow how did you get rid of them I soaked them coral Rx for I don't know how long took it off a the frag plug and pit it on rock

telsonman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried killing them with lemon juice. They eventually came back. They were little too. They (never more than one per frag) always had their foot between the coral and the plug, so I just covered the area with superglue.

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remove all frags from plugs, snip it back if necessary and glue onto rocks or a new plug. You lose a little encrusting but this is usually where pest, usually AEFW, like to hide so I lose a little to protect myself.

OP
OP
Bob Escher

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But that's what I do remove all frags from plugs dip them then aclimate them in a bowl of water then add them to a piece of rock

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All vendors will have aptaisia at one point. The spores and the tiniest piece left behind will grow another. A piece small enough to be missed by the naked eye will produce others. The more you irritate it the more you'll end up with. I had them return after hitting them with kalk paste. It's best to try to remove the item that has the aptaisia on it then remove in a separate bucket but the ones that you can't remove IMO, it's best to have a natural predator. Thats worked for me anyway. All our frags from WWC have been great and they are meticulous but some stuff just slips by and no dip I know of will touch aptaisia.

OP
OP
Bob Escher

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All vendors will have aptaisia at one point. The spores and the tiniest piece left behind will grow another. A piece small enough to be missed by the naked eye will produce others. The more you irritate it the more you'll end up with. I had them return after hitting them with kalk paste. It's best to try to remove the item that has the aptaisia on it then remove in a separate bucket but the ones that you can't remove IMO, it's best to have a natural predator. Thats worked for me anyway. All our frags from WWC have been great and they are meticulous but some stuff just slips by and no dip I know of will touch aptaisia.
Hey guys
All I'm saying is that nothing has been added to my tank in months other than this frag which is over a month ago. I found this guy in the tube of my sponge filter which was in my refugium waiting to go back into my QT
I wondered what it was. I have bought frags from them in the past no problems
I'm not bashing them I'm not anthing I shouldn't have mentioned their name and I apologize to them

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can be sneaky little ba....... these aptasia. I am sure that WWC is a good vendor and I'm sure people know that so don't sweat it. You were not blaming them just relating facts so IMO you did nothing wrong. Just my 2 cents.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back