Thinking of getting a octopus

clownfishmama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m new to saltwater and I have a well running 15 gal with two clownfish so I’m thinking I can handle an octopus? What breeds should I look into and what tank set up should I get the cute creature?

reefermadnes5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I follow an octopus named bruce on insta. The interaction between bruce and the person is awesome. Coralsanonymous.com has an awesome selection of aquarium octos and their shipping of livestock has been quality for me.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What has stopped me in the past and presence is their ability to get through any space thats even a little bigger then their beak. Thats pretty small on most aquarium "appropriate" octopi. The other fact is I tend to get attached and since most dont live much more then a year thats sad.

OP
OP
clownfishmama

clownfishmama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What has stopped me in the past and presence is their ability to get through any space thats even a little bigger then their beak. Thats pretty small on most aquarium "appropriate" octopi. The other fact is I tend to get attached and since most dont live much more then a year thats sad.
They’re almost equivalent to intelligent hamsters. And I want a long lasting pet!

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The "Atlantic Pygmy Brown" species are generally the most popular because they're small, tropical, and not lethally venomous; a lot of people like Bimacs (both species) as well, but they're temperate/coldwater:
Generally, the recommended tank size for one dwarf octopus (the small species that get about the size of a hand) is 30 gallons (or more - larger is better for these guys, with most people who have kept them before recommending more in the range of 50-75 gallons for one)
Also, two things to keep in mind with octopuses:
1 ) They typically are very short lived (most dwarf octopuses live for about 6-10 months, with 6-8 being more typical from what I've seen), and if you get an adult, you may only have it for a few weeks before it dies.
2 ) Be wary of which octopus you buy - the dwarf species (such as Octopus mercatoris, O. joubini, etc.) are fine, but others like the Blue-Ringed Octopus (Hapalochlaena spp.) are lethally venomous (i.e. they could literally kill you).
If you have serious questions about keeping octopuses, the site linked below is a great resource, and there are a handful of people either on that site or on here (or both, in some cases) who would likely be able to help answer those questions for you:
https://tonmo.com/articles/octopus-pet-checklist-before-you-get-an-octopus-as-a-pet.3/

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 114 74.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%

Back