I don't understand my alk test

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

Just did my alk test with my salifert kit and the plunger stops at .2ml and I'm not sure if that's high or low because I don't understand the conversion.

Essentially I'm having a bit of an ich issue and I heard keeping the Alk at proper levels will help my fishes slime coat and I'm not sure if .2 translates to a proper level. Does anyone have an idea?

Thanks.

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you comparig it to the chart if you unfold the manual on the center page? I don’t have mine right here or I’d check for you. There should be a chart on one of the manual pages that will show you what .2 converts to :D

OP
OP
Z

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you comparig it to the chart if you unfold the manual on the center page? I don’t have mine right here or I’d check for you. There should be a chart on one of the manual pages that will show you what .2 converts to :D
I'm confused though it ends up being 12.8. but is that the dkh? It says 1dkh = .357 meq/L

Someone was saying on a forum all needs to be 8.3ish

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hold the syringe with the tip up and read where the plunger has stopped. .2 would read directly off the chart as 12.5 dkh if you started with 4ml of water.
Right under the conversion you quoted it says reading in ml (step 5) kh value in dKH.

OP
OP
Z

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hold the syringe with the tip up and read where the plunger has stopped. .2 would read directly off the chart as 12.5 dkh if you started with 4ml of water.
Right under the conversion you quoted it says reading in ml (step 5) kh value in dKH.
Okay so to be clear my all is 12.5 then?

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so to be clear my all is 12.5 then?

According to your reading of .2 remaining in the plunger, yes 12.5 dkh
I will sometimes repeat a test on the same sample a couple times if a reading is particularly high or low, and see if I get similar results. If the results are similar then I can be reasonably certain I have done the test properly and the reading is correct.

OP
OP
Z

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to your reading of .2 remaining in the plunger, yes 12.5 dkh
I will sometimes repeat a test on the same sample a couple times if a reading is particularly high or low, and see if I get similar results. If the results are similar then I can be reasonably certain I have done the test properly and the reading is correct.

Fair enough. Isn't 12.5 kinda high though?

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bit.

Won't bother fish though. On the high side if you have SPS.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair enough. Isn't 12.5 kinda high though?

What do you have for tank inhabitants? Yes I would say 12.5 is kinda high. I think many target around 8-9 roughly so it's a bit above NSW levels as a margin of safety for corals needing to grow calcium skeleton. If you have fish and softies it's less of an issue

OP
OP
Z

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you have for tank inhabitants? Yes I would say 12.5 is kinda high. I think many target around 8-9 roughly so it's a bit above NSW levels as a margin of safety for corals needing to grow calcium skeleton. If you have fish and softies it's less of an issue

Well I wanted to get into corals. But all that's in there is 2 urchins 6 trochus, 1 tomini tang, 1 LM Blenny, 2 clowns, 1 damsel, 1 cleaner wrasse, 1 gramma, 1 baby mandarin.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What salt are you using and are you adding anything else to the tank? Some salts can be quite on the high side right out of the package. For now I wouldn't worry about it although I don't know anything about alk levels to help with Ich..

Really great thread in the fish disease forums on Ich Management.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/ich-eradication-vs-ich-management.188775/

OP
OP
Z

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What salt are you using and are you adding anything else to the tank? Some salts can be quite on the high side right out of the package. For now I wouldn't worry about it although I don't know anything about alk levels to help with Ich..

Really great thread in the fish disease forums on Ich Management.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/ich-eradication-vs-ich-management.188775/

I was using the fritz blue box, but had to switch to instant ocean in a pinch. Is that why?

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was using the fritz blue box, but had to switch to instant ocean in a pinch. Is that why?
Probably if you are not dosing any alk separately. Is it the regular IO or Reef Crystals? I have heard RC is up around 12 dkh. Regular IO a little lower. It may even say on the package what the expected levels of alk, ca, mg etc are at different specific gravity.

Time of day will affect the results too as the tank pH changes with lights on/off cycles. CO2 levels in the water and what not.. I try to test around the same time of day so I am compensating somewhat for daily fluctuation.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 44.3%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 74 46.8%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.9%
Back