I feel like my tank has no “direction.”

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my 40-gallon up for a few years now—I have gotten through the cycle, beaten the ugly phase, and my corals are in good health—but I feel like my tank is going nowhere. My tank is just a single clownfish and bunch of random corals on the sand bed. Sure, my tank is doing well, but it has no purpose, no rhyme or reason to it. I’m thinking of maybe selling (most of) my corals and my clownfish and starting over, this time with some sort of theme to it. Should I?

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my 40-gallon up for a few years now—I have gotten through the cycle, beaten the ugly phase, and my corals are in good health—but I feel like my tank is going nowhere. My tank is just a single clownfish and bunch of random corals on the sand bed. Sure, my tank is doing well, but it has no purpose, no rhyme or reason to it. I’m thinking of maybe selling (most of) my corals and my clownfish and starting over, this time with some sort of theme to it. Should I?
Why don’t you post a picture for a second opinion

prcardinal91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Unless you are upgrading your tank size, I would not start over. You can start adding rocks in and start scaping and evolve with your tank. I am always making changes to my tank and its 2 years old now.

Attachments

• 20230927_214603.jpg
    20230927_214603.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 97

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a hobby and you should enjoy it (most days at least). If you aren't happy with your tank then by all means, change it! I wouldn't break it down and start completely over, but if you want different fish, change the type of coral you keep, etc, then do it!

Kind of like selling a perfectly good 5 year old car just because you like newer models... No need to, but no reason not to either.

Narideth

Fishaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have practically a perfect base to build whatever you want from!

I don't see any corals in there right now that can't be moved around if you want to plan a direction or focus. Instead of considering getting rid of everything, with the perceived problem being a lack of direction, think about what you want the tank to be!

What would make you happy to see?

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 36 gallon that I have changed at least three times in the last five years. I traded some coral, and put in different ones. I would challenge yourself with something and see it through. Maybe try a coral you never thought you could do. After providing the parameters it needs of course. And maybe a couple more small fish. But yes, there comes a time when all you can do is let them grow, instead of collecting more.

aSaltyKlown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with the others, no need to get rid of anything.

Is that an anemone up top? Doesn't look too good if it is.

Maybe add some live rock from an LFS, even dry rock will do, just throw it right in. You could also pull what is in there, break it apart and produce a scape you like. Make sure to keep the current rock wet, it will be fine out of the water for an hour or so. I've used a spray bottle with tank water to keep corals and rock wet when changing things up. Will not have a cycle by keeping the current rock as well as new.

After a week get that clown a mate and other friends. A yellow watchman and pistol, can liven up any tank. Possibly a cleaner shrimp, lots of movement from them. Firefish, Hawfish (no shrimp with hawkfish) tailspot or other blenny would be great additions too. As far as corals, try a hammer, frogspawn or torch if you want movement.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without additional information, my 1st thought is to add some fish and properly evaluate your lighting(possibly not sufficient for better growth)

SoggyNW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know what kind of tank you might want it to be? Sps, lps, mixed? I don't see why you can't move in any of those directions with what you have. The aquascape looks pretty good for that space, lots of room for coral to fill in. If you don't know what you want I would go brows the "tank show off" threads and get inspired.

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a great scape and an already descent coral collection. I waouldnt change your rock scape. Focus on trying to build on it with corals. Have corals that get along together which most are around base. Add more corals all around the arch. Even under arch you can add sun corals gorgonias/sea fans and other non photosynthetic. Just give veryone space to grow and not send out any sweepers. Make a really nice arch way covered in corals.

But you still have to like it yourself

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might I suggest you add some encrusting acros? :face-savoring-food:

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe not exactly an arch but gives the idea. there are various ones out there some using SPS some LPS, a few mixed.
1697315948748.png

Credit from:

OP
OP
encrustingacro

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the responses! From what I’m hearing, I probably should not start over, but mount some of the corals on the rocks and maybe get more fish. The problem I have is that some of the corals are large colonies and I honestly don’t know how to mount them on the rocks, and having a single clownfish sorta limits my options on fish due to fighting.
I‘ll probably keep or build onto my rockscape, but what I want to do is probably a biotope tank. Maybe a “Caribbean” drop-off/wall, subtropical Australian/ southern GBR, Polynesian island type, or shallow inner-reef, IDK.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back