I feel like my tank has no “direction.”

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the responses! From what I’m hearing, I probably should not start over, but mount some of the corals on the rocks and maybe get more fish. The problem I have is that some of the corals are large colonies and I honestly don’t know how to mount them on the rocks, and having a single clownfish sorta limits my options on fish due to fighting.
I‘ll probably keep or build onto my rockscape, but what I want to do is probably a biotope tank. Maybe a “Caribbean” drop-off/wall, subtropical Australian/ southern GBR, Polynesian island type, or shallow inner-reef, IDK.
You can still rescape the rocks to create more space to mount the colonies.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity do you have any of these books?
image.jpg

I’ve found them to be incredibly useful for starting over a reef and gaining ideas for a potential reef tank look.
I know that these sorts of books are old and may seem ‘outdated’ (I mean, how many people still run Halides) but in reality, the information from books such as these don’t change much. Well, the scientific names may change but the basics and thought processes don’t really.

I mean, how many of us thought ‘how about I make a reef gorge look’ as our first scape in a tank? Or I’ll have a ‘cave system’ display with 1-2 deeper water or cave dwelling species and then corals in the caves and ontop of the caves.

Last edited:

scottberto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Duuuuude you have the ULTIMATE set up to start "fresh". tank looks like it's in great condition. If you want a more drastic change you could add another piece or rock to make some more mounting space for corals!! If you're worried about clown being too aggressive towards other fish, pick up some sweet inverts. I recently got myself a starfish and a tiger conch and to be honest it added a lot of life and fun to the tank. Have you considered getting any coral frags of more flowy type corals? The flowing action in the water can give a brandish tank a real living type look. Hope I could be some help, don't lose hope!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a lot of potential in this tank.
Here’s just 3 ideas (two were mentioned above) that you could possibly do.
Sand Zones - This could be a good idea for if you wanted more out and about fish instead of hiding fish.
image.jpg

Reef Gorge - This is something I have an idea of doing, it’s a nice way to show off a valley look. Here’s also an example of one (again it’s one I personally like and figured it would be useful).
image.jpg

image.jpg

And finally, a Cave Aquarium. You could have your current corals encrusting around the top of the rock and then corals like Nepthea underneath.
image.jpg

These are just a couple of ideas to help you get some ideas of what to do with your tank :)

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 31 38.3%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 33 40.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back