I glued down my Anemone 180

Jason boles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I did a thing... I purchased my first home. We will be closing December 16.

I was terrified at moving my tank with all the expensive livestock I have invested over the last... I would be embarrassed to look.

So I used this opportunity to get a used 120 from a local reefer in my reef club. It is double my current system at 4x2x2. Not super crazy about the center brace but I think it will be fine.

I have already gone a bit crazy with equipment. I got a full apex with a trident when my LFS had their anniversary, and have racked up all the other large equipment this Black Friday. It’s killing me to put all my new toys in storage for another month.

I also own a construction company and will be having a very nice custom cabinet built. I have a ton of questions on various things. I will be making subsequent posts asking them to keep things clean.

So far here is my drool worthy list of equipment:

Apex
-Trident
-Auto feeder
-2 x Cor 15 pumps
-extra EB8
- Dos / DDR
Trigger platinum 39 sump
Aeraqua duo skimmer
Giesemann 48” stellar T5 / LED combo with hanging kit
2 x kessil 360X

Few pics!! Then on to questions.
387AC33A-47E8-4342-A98B-5AD04B38DC69.jpeg
9D5F0F82-EEA8-4F66-95D5-A50B9A6F1C10.jpeg
770C5C8B-A3AD-4401-A323-E95145C14037.jpeg
CBBA984C-1AB1-4F54-B69B-E4BFD54A3D73.jpeg

OP
OP
J

Jason boles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cabinet construction.

I am going to have my master woodworker fabricate a cabinet for me. My boyfriend chose to have the tank on a long wall over 9’ long. I will be building the cabinet from end to end with the aquarium in the middle.

I would like the aquarium to rest 1 inch below the top board on three back sides, but front be exposed. Is there any reason I would need to see the sand bed line on sides??

What is used to waterproof the inside of the cabinet. It will be separated into some storage on the ends for non reef stuff.

Planning on the whole top section of cabinet to be secured with strong magnets so I can remove it if needed, but this may be overkill.

OP
OP
J

Jason boles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok... so my weakest link. Plumbing.

I own a Nyos Torq and do not I tend on setting up reactors. I won’t run biopellets and GFO / Carbon can run together.

I have two overflow sections on the back, both with two holes.
8C761258-E7A6-4CE4-AF24-C8787A4979F3.jpeg

I am unsure of the sizes of these holes. I didtake some pics of the plumbing that came with it (I will throw it away)

7F0DA7A7-2C1A-46A7-B315-8D229C6E21AD.jpeg
05E70220-C341-4128-B34D-A6839DE48C35.jpeg
AB330932-5C66-4F5E-8FB0-CA671541D621.jpeg

Im assuming holes are 1 1/4 inch.

Planning on plumbing separate Cor 15 pumps on each side and two drains into the sump?? Is this right?

I will also be cutting a hole through the cabinet and floor into the garage to a mixing station for water changes. Will connect the RODI unit to outside water hose and also create a drain to the outside from the garage.

I don’t u deter and how to build my drains, or my returns to the aquarium, what I will need to connect it at bottom of the aquarium. I think the rest is straight forward.

would like to get this part worked out while Black Friday deals are live for the price reduction. Any help or point me in the right direction is appreciated.

OP
OP
J

Jason boles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cor 15 plumbing is inch and a quarter... the inputs for the sump are one inch.

So Im thinking I would just do 1 inch drain, and inch and quarter returns?? Going to make a plumbing part list and share to see if anyone can give me feed back.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also is there a secret magic trick to cleaning the tank??
Vinegar and fresh water is what I did to get old calcium deposits off my 90 when I got it.

OP
OP
J

Jason boles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was going to order a custome lid, and just got really discouraged and hating the center brace of that tank..... why get all this nice equipment to hate my tank.

so welcome to JB’s Dream 180!!!

bahahaha

I have ordered a planet aquariums 180:

1 center overflow (2 3/4” return, 2 1” drains)
No back film
Rimless
72.5” x 24.5” x 25

planning on ordering extra 24 inch Giesman, and two more kessils for lighting.

I will be doing a Herbie style drain. Ordering plumbing parts tonight :cool:

OP
OP
J

Jason boles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I glued down my anemone and he just won’t stay put‍

In all seriousness just wanted to get some feedback on custom cabinets. Meeting with woodworker this morning to measure and he is going to start building.

skimmer is 22” + so I will need the head room to remove that.

going to have him sink the tank down1.5 inches with 3 / 4 inch sand bed.

not sure what type of protective coating to put inside where the sump will be.

also unsure of amount of heat all the equipment will put off. Do I need vents?

Lastly (construction wise) I’m thinking of punching a hole to the outside behind the cabinet and running a 1 inch pipe to garage for ATO, then a drain from garage down side of house for waste.

will have mixing station in garage.

I will snap a pic where tank is going.

closing in12 days. Will only have 3 weeks to get tank up and going before I move my current inhabitants over.

OP
OP
J

Jason boles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thinking of picking these two up... Let me know what you guys think of these tanks for the water change station...

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to order a custome lid, and just got really discouraged and hating the center brace of that tank..... why get all this nice equipment to hate my tank.

so welcome to JB’s Dream 180!!!

bahahaha

I have ordered a planet aquariums 180:

1 center overflow (2 3/4” return, 2 1” drains)
No back film
Rimless
72.5” x 24.5” x 25

planning on ordering extra 24 inch Giesman, and two more kessils for lighting.

I will be doing a Herbie style drain. Ordering plumbing parts tonight :cool:

Lol. I did the same thing almost a year ago. I purchased a 150 from a local reefer. It had scratches on the front of the tank and I wasnt happy with the tank. I ended keeping everything else and bought a brand new 150 tank.

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not sure what type of protective coating to put inside where the sump will be.

I used Flex seal to coat my sump area.

OP
OP
J

Jason boles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice! I will check out the flex seal.

I am in love with the sump!! Lol. It is still sitting in its cardboard box in uhaul storage. We close the 16. I should be able to get sump in and begin plumbing through that week / weekend.

my stand is currently being built by carpenter. I also scored the closet below the tank as mine and I’m going to put a water change system in and drill through the floor. I read having the RODI in the garage can cause issues with extreme heat.

I am unsure how to get the RODI in there and hide the tubes. Closet backs up to shower side of a bath / shower. Sink is pretty far. I’ll confer with my guys to see if they have ideas.

Back