I got my new tank! FiRe's 120g Rimless

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question for you, do the tank sides rest on the bottom pane, or do the sides extend past the bottom?

From what I understand, if the panes of glass rest on the bottom, then you have to use the foam underneath, like you have. However, if the sides elevate the bottom pane, so that the bottom is not resting on the stand, then the foam can actually cause problems.

I am doing some research on building my own 120, and I keep reading about the foam bottoms only being good if the bottom glass touches the stand.

bushh23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks amazing, good luck with the build!! You can order the hanging light kit from Drs foster and smith and its only like $15. But that's only if you lost yours or stripped the screws hanging it and had to cut it down like i did!

OP
OP
FiReBReTHa

FiReBReTHa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question for you, do the tank sides rest on the bottom pane, or do the sides extend past the bottom?

From what I understand, if the panes of glass rest on the bottom, then you have to use the foam underneath, like you have. However, if the sides elevate the bottom pane, so that the bottom is not resting on the stand, then the foam can actually cause problems.

I am doing some research on building my own 120, and I keep reading about the foam bottoms only being good if the bottom glass touches the stand.

its flat on the standtop therefore need foam, bcause of the imperfections of wood puts weirdpressure points on te tank. etc.

OP
OP
FiReBReTHa

FiReBReTHa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
09-05-24_doorstained.jpg

door is done.

Sr5_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
everything looks awesome!
I was wondering why you dont scoot the tank all the way to the left of the stand... i know it will look funny but you cant even see the right side now. maybe its like 6"
Or are you planning on moving it to another location in your home?

zoous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is one awesome looking tank. Good luck.

OP
OP
FiReBReTHa

FiReBReTHa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bottom layer sand placed last night.

picking up more plming supplies en rte home like glue etc making over flow and completing bottom pluming and then filling display with water and running powerheads. then build sump and order eheim. then tie those into system and i have a full loop.

might have to go to meijer for RO when i get home. etc.

Der ABT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tank is going to look great, i really like the rimless look may have to start looking into on in the near future.

i thought for a second you had drilled the bottom with the bulkheads sitting like that then i realized the overflow is in the center.:nerd:

cant wait to see it with water, goodluck with it all, ill be keeping up with this post.

I-K@ndY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice Rimless !...can't wait for more progress

RaddReef319

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous! I almost bought a glasscages tank but went with all-glass for my new setup, a 75g. I've read mixed reviews about glasscages (mostly seals leaking) so I'm eager to hear how you like it once it's filled-up.

OP
OP
FiReBReTHa

FiReBReTHa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous! I almost bought a glasscages tank but went with all-glass for my new setup, a 75g. I've read mixed reviews about glasscages (mostly seals leaking) so I'm eager to hear how you like it once it's filled-up.

I have only heard of one bad tank experience with GC, the rest is just people who only know heresay and no first hand experience.
My tank is solid and like a ROCK

09-05-30_rocksnwater.jpg

09-05-30_plumbingconcept.jpg

OP
OP
FiReBReTHa

FiReBReTHa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had issues with so much fine dust from the sand because I didnt wash it first so I had to adjust for the issue.

I created two filters out of microfiber clothes that were really small like and fine like a tshirt.

09-05-30_filtersinstalled.JPG

09-05-30_dirtyfilters.JPG

the dirtier one was on the left in the top photo. it also has three layers whereas the one on the right had two.

OP
OP
FiReBReTHa

FiReBReTHa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
09-06-03_waterclear.jpg

Klaus the fish is doing laps.

he is acting as my canary fish

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 99 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back