What float valve?
A5B3AD09-3A03-49EC-A1D0-8B8393964842.png

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use an Eshopps 5 gallon ATO container with a float valve in the sump.

I top off the container. It gravity feeds the float.

Anything electronic is asking for trouble.

My highest risk is having 5 gallons of water enter the system and that's something I can work with. Minimal damage if any at all.

Ask me how I know .......
My gravity feed float valve has failed a few times on me.

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really?! The horror. What happens does it fail on or off?
I've had this happen both ways with swamp coolers (I used to do maintenance on these for extra money as a teenager). There was more pressure involved there, but failing ON was more likely than failing off. Granted those usually had a little lower quality valves than what BRS sells and what you linked.

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm definitely not reading all 106 replies, but my advice...

Regardless of what ATO you run, don't trust it. If mine stops working I see bubbles in the tank, it didn't evaporate enough to hurt anything. If it decides to empty my entire ATO container, my SG dropped to 1.023 and nothing will die.

Don't ever have a single failure point that can wipe out your tank.

Last edited:

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I think you’ll like these then. I only have one under a lot of pressure when I filter water for the reservoir. I have three active at the moment.
One in the frag tank
One in the display tank
One in the rodi/ato reservoir
Haven’t had a fail yet (knock on wood)

Captmcfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Three optical sensors one to trigger my solenoids to come on one to override the first one if it goes too far and send me a notification that it’s gotten too high and One to turn a pump on and pump water out of my sump into the houses main drain line and to alert me that things have gone bad! The first two that control Solenoids are plumed directly into my rodi booster. That is also on a timed outlet from my apex to come on for 1 hr a day. It can’t make enough water to over fill my sump in that time. So with the multiple levels of fail safes and controls I feel it will be just what I need.

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Three optical sensors one to trigger my solenoids to come on one to override the first one if it goes too far and send me a notification that it’s gotten too high and One to turn a pump on and pump water out of my sump into the houses main drain line and to alert me that things have gone bad! The first two that control Solenoids are plumed directly into my rodi booster. That is also on a timed outlet from my apex to come on for 1 hr a day. It can’t make enough water to over fill my sump in that time. So with the multiple levels of fail safes and controls I feel it will be just what I need.
That third one I would not automatically pump out unless you have other verifications like a leak sensor also going off simultaneously. You could get salt creep from sump splashing on that sensor or the ir transistor fails closed and pump water out when the level is actually okay. That is something that I would personally only do with manual intervention.

Captmcfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That third one I would not automatically pump out unless you have other verifications like a leak sensor also going off simultaneously. You could get salt creep from sump splashing on that sensor or the ir transistor fails closed and pump water out when the level is actually okay. That is something that I would personally only do with manual intervention.
The way the program is written all three would have to be closed before the pump comes on.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't seem to find a "trust worthy" ATO. I'm currently running a reefbreeders that's not the prism, it's the magnet with the eye piece, and it's constantly missing the mark. My system is big enough that I usually catch it pretty quick. I'm running an apex but their ATO seems like waaaay too many pieces. I want something simple. I also have an old Tunze ozmolater laying around, but I think it's the nano version, it's also caked in kalkwasser (don't ask). So I guess I'm in the market for a new ATO. I've never found one that makes me warm and fuzzy.
I just can't bring myself to trust one. I manually top off all my setups twice daily. I'm lucky enough to use my well water, and don't have to dose my setups due to the high calcium, alkalinity, magnesium, etc in the well water.

WyoMt.Chef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a good run with my hydros ATO. Not a solution for anything but a hydros user. Optic sensor failed at 18 months so that was annoying but it hasn't screwed the pooch so to say and hurt the tank..... Or floors.

Guy25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used this one for a couple years on different tanks and had no issues ( it one of the sensor ones. just have to make sure its someplace no snails can crawl up too, as they will set it off ).

ATO link

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 29.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back