I HATE maintenance!!

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sara, you could get two of the larger media chambers instead of four small ones. I know Deltec, Precision Marine, GEO and a couple others make these that are perfect size fr larger tanks. That would also eliminate two pumps... you could even run them off one pump by plumbing a "T" into the pump outlet and valve down the flow into the chambers as needed.

I do know of people running these with success: http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/Carbon-and-Phosphate-Remover-GFO-Media-Bags-&-Reactors/c109_85/p679/BRS-%22DUAL%22-GFO-and-Carbon-Reactor/product_info.html
...But I'm not sure if you could get the flow rate right for the two different medias considering its off of one pump.

Kev, you are a freak! :D

SaraB

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sara, you could get two of the larger media chambers instead of four small ones. I know Deltec, Precision Marine, GEO and a couple others make these that are perfect size fr larger tanks. That would also eliminate two pumps... you could even run them off one pump by plumbing a "T" into the pump outlet and valve down the flow into the chambers as needed.

I do know of people running these with success: http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/Carbon-and-Phosphate-Remover-GFO-Media-Bags-&-Reactors/c109_85/p679/BRS-%22DUAL%22-GFO-and-Carbon-Reactor/product_info.html
...But I'm not sure if you could get the flow rate right for the two different medias considering its off of one pump.

I do have the larger Deltec one that I planned on trying on the new tank, but I've also heard good things about that Bulk Reef Supply link you posted. I guess you can purchase additional chambers and easily swap out the old media chamber with the new one and clean up the mess later ... I like that!

Last edited:

Mr.Firemouth

FIREMOUTH WIZARD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate hate hate doing water changes.

Its not even hard, actually its pretty darn simple.

I don't know why i make such a stink about it, but i hate it...a lot.

I hate making the salt mix. It takes 3 days to do a water change.
1 day to fill the 45g container, 1 day to mix the salt with a pump, and a 3rd day to do the exchange of the water in the display tank(about an hour)

I use powerheads on hoses to pump the water from container to container and a siphon hose to drain the main system.

I also hate cleaning the hard algaes of the glass. I have so many scratches now!
I now use the razor like Rev and would have less scratches if I had used it from the start.
A tip for the razor users is to get a razor holder from home depot that helps hold the blade more comfortably.

Kate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess that is why I'm enjoying my nano now! :)

Psychographic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't really mind any aspect of maintaining or building, I just hate cleaning up after anything/:wink:

Acroholic

There is no substitute.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filter socks... I even hate socks for my feet... socks for my tank are just that much more a PITA!
On my new system I plan on implementing something with filter-floss type material in the first compartment of the sump so I can avoid using socks.

Here's the cure for filter sock isssues. 99% of Reefers use the polypropylene felt type in whatever micron rating you use. I use the micron pore size mesh filter bags in the same micron ratings as the felt. Same pore size, but the BIG DIFFERENCE is that when you clean these, blast them out with a garden hose, and place them back in service. No washing in the machine and no bleaching. 5 minutes or less and you are done.

Get them at www.filterbag.com

Here is the one I use: 4" diameter Plastic Ring, nylon mesh material, 200 micron pore size: product #NMO200P4P

100 micron pore size: #NMO100P4P

Here is the URL for their flter bag finder page:

http://www.filterbag.com/browse.php...n[]=13&RealBrowse=RealBrowse&Submit=Find+Bags

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 61 43.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 48.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.5%
Back