I HATE maintenance!!

gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A dual-level post:

Post the one thing you like least about regular tank maintenance.

If you have a tip for making someone else's hated task easier, post it. But identify the hated task first.

Gary

Side note: This has the potential to become a huge posting mess.

roshi719

Official fish poo remover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Testing, especially Magnesium. Hmmm Magnesium monitors... Where's pinpoint phone number at?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cleaning the glass!! ARGGG!!!

I do use like a big paint razor blade scraper from Home Depot to make it easier though.

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filter socks... I even hate socks for my feet... socks for my tank are just that much more a PITA!
On my new system I plan on implementing something with filter-floss type material in the first compartment of the sump so I can avoid using socks.

roshi719

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filter socks... I even hate socks for my feet... socks for my tank are just that much more a PITA!
On my new system I plan on implementing something with filter-floss type material in the first compartment of the sump so I can avoid using socks.
I've bypassed the need for one on my system by running a slow flow tank in which my skimmer runs and the sediment settles out for siphoning. It is behind my display and is fed by the overflow, then dumps into my sump.

macawmagic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hated carrying water from my garage to my tank room so I hooked up a mag 18 on a very long extension cord and plumbed some 1" piping up into the attic, through the attic, and down into the tank and topoff reservoir. I also them have a ball valve with an opening at the "full" level in my sump. open that valve, open valve to dump water into tank. plug in pump. waam baam thank you ma'am. 40 gallon water change in about 2 minutes.

Kate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I'm odd, but I LIKE doing maintenance on my tank! Except for maybe trying to get into the corners! To be honest, I haven't tested anything but salinity, for a couple of years. I just do a weekly water change, and add calcium and Vitamin C, plus food! Things were always stable, so I just do the same! If something dies, I do extra water changes! Don't shoot me! :)

SaraB

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate the monthly mess of changing out Carbon and GFO in my Two Little Fishes Reactors! What a mess x 4 plus cleaning out 4 Maxi-Jets! It just leads to that stuff being in the system for more than 4 weeks at a time since I put it off.

roshi719

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate the monthly mess of changing out Carbon and GFO in my Two Little Fishes Reactors! What a mess x 4 plus cleaning out 4 Maxi-Jets! It just leads to that stuff being in the system for more than 4 weeks at a time since I put it off.
Let me know if anyone comes up with a cure for this! LOL

coraldiva

LED
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love scraping the algae! The only thing I do hate is lugging buckets of water or getting a spicule in my finger from cleaning a sponge. I'm a puss. :snicker:

Kate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess if I had a very large tank, I probably would test though. Just so the newbies don't think they can do without it! :)

JuniorMC8704

Super Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate hate hate doing water changes.

Its not even hard, actually its pretty darn simple.

I dont know why i make such a stink about it, but i hate it...a lot.

Kate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I have a nano, :) I just have two plastic pitchers the same size; make fresh salt water in one, and let it stand a while, and then, scoop out the same amount of water into the other one, and whaaaaa laaaa! :) I really don't like to do that, so much as cleaning and pruning though!

eagleeyez5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have to agree, I have run my last 3 tanks without any kind of filter-floss or sock....just a skimmer in its own chamber, I also split the drain so half goes to the skimmer and the rest just goes through the other tank full of LR.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 64 44.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 47.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.3%
Back