I have a unhappy frag

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a green acropora frag for 2 months now was happy and baseing out and now suddenly the polyps aren’t expanded, for 2-3 days still good color .
I checked water parameters for the first time in get this 16 - 20 years
As follows
75 degrees
.028 saltinity
Calcium is 540
Phosphate is between 0 and .25
Nitrates are between 0 and 5.0
KH is 10
Also last night the polyps was out , today nothing .
The aquarium is 22+ years old
Any thoughts? I think the DK is a little ehh high
And the calcium is way up IMO
Here is a before and after

09FEAAB2-A580-4613-9C38-406E3851C8C5.jpeg

5761C5B9-53B3-4FBE-BAEA-4E1C90003AA8.jpeg

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anything changed with the tank lately like lighting changes, dosing, new fish like dwarf angels, flow? Your SG is high and your cal and alk are high as well. Slowly lower it to 1.025-1.026 or 35ppt. You can do this by removing small amounts of saltwater either by hand/manually or you can set the skimmer to skim wet to remove more water, then just add back in fresh rodi until you are at 1.025. I would suggest letting alk and cal come down naturally, stop dosing for a while if you do so until alk is around 8-9 and cal is 400-450. Other than getting your parameters back in balance just keep everything stable and give the acro time. It does not look bad and polyp extension is not a sign sure sign of health in acropora. Also keep in mind that acropora tend to show issues several weeks after the event that stresses them out, unless its something major. So looking back to anything that was changed or happend a few weeks ago is a good idea. For example a new frag will shift color after a month or so in a new tank due to the change in environment, most of us sps guys know what im talking about.

OP
OP
Backreefing

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THX I have already begun to lower sg ( I’ve had up for years ) emptyed some water out and dripping fresh water in . The acropora was handled 7-9 days ago . But calcium over 540 surprise me !

OP
OP
Backreefing

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance someone knows what the acropora is? It was whitish green at first , then it colored up based out and I see a couple branches just starting. It’s my favorite one .

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THX I have already begun to lower sg ( I’ve had up for years ) emptyed some water out and dripping fresh water in . The acropora was handled 7-9 days ago . But calcium over 540 surprise me !
Moving it would be my bet. Different location equals different flow and light intensity which can peev off an acro especailly if its still settling in.

OP
OP
Backreefing

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update it’s still unhappy but slightly better.
I have lowered the SG to .026 , and the alk is at 9 , also the calcium is down to 500 so it’s a little better in there .
Looking back it was moved and the lights were dimmed some so that’s probably why it is so angry. Thx for your reply’s

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 40 58.8%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 18 26.5%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back