I Have Questions...

What's the most important add-on component in your tank?

• Refugium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Carbon Reactor

• Other

• Total voters

SilverCityReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok guys, so I'm sure some of you have seen that I post a lot but this is the first time I'm putting a solid effort into finally setting up my reef tank and I'm trying to do everything right. I have been watching a ton of videos and trying to learn as much as I can but there's a lot of information and opinions to take in. The official start of tank cycling is just a week or two away so I am just trying to make final decisions, prioritize purchases, and get a few remaining questions answered.

I will post my tank details below in case that's relevant. Here's my questions:

1) Is a Tunze 9004 a good enough skimmer for a 40B that will have a large refugium in sump and only a few fish? I plan on having SPS and maybe some LPS lower in the tank.

2) Does anyone know of a video on Youtube or something that I can watch that goes into great detail regarding nitrites, nitrates, PH, etc? I feel I need better knowledge on this.

3) Are Hydor Koralia's any good or should I hold off on starting fuge to spend more on powerheads?

4) Besides the basics, (dry rock, sand, heater, RO/DI water, salt, plumbing, etc) which components should be implemented at the start of cycling? The components that I am talking about are protein skimmer, ATO, fuge light, & aquarium controller.

5) I know I am going to be missing something sooo... What testing equipment should I be ordering when I place order for plumbing, salt, rock, sand, heaters, powerheads, etc?

I am sure I will have more questions along the way but the R2R community has been a great resource during this whole process. Thanks in advance for any help or guidance you can provide.

Tank Details:
- 40 Breeder DT
- 20 Tall Sump
- Eheim 1260 Return Pump
- Hydra 26HD (will be adding a 2nd)
- SPS Dominant (That's my goal)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back