I have Several Pairs Clown and several Questions

HiEndZoaJunky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello so I am also very interested to try and breed my clowns...

I have 3 pair in 3 separate Tanks

1 pair Picaso

1 pair ugh I forget the name they are like black snowflakes lets say

and the 3rd I actually ordered today off eBay I saw the ad and I really like the looks of these frost bites

I paid like 300

Question
1> So what to do but wait ??? How can I know when it is time to watch???

I know that my black snowflakes are still in the stage of really establishing a female so to speak... I keep thinking that one is dead.....I even separated them with a tank in the tank unit because I was certain that one was going to kill the other and I would rather just split them into other tanks....

Question
would it make any difference if the clowns were just in the sump? I mean I want to have as many chances for success as possible so can I simply throw a few pair in the sumps just to ya know keep the odds up? I mean a year or so is a long time to wait ,,, Id like to have at least 3 shots at it ...

I have more questions but this is a start Thanks for any Advice!!!

michellejy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question
would it make any difference if the clowns were just in the sump? I mean I want to have as many chances for success as possible so can I simply throw a few pair in the sumps just to ya know keep the odds up? I mean a year or so is a long time to wait ,,, Id like to have at least 3 shots at it ...

I am assuming you are asking if you can keep all of them in a single sump without being divided, but I may be misunderstanding. If you are asking if you can just keep a group of clowns together in the sump and have them pair off to mate, the answer is no. *If* they don't end up killing each other, only the dominant female and dominant male will ever breed.

OP
OP
HiEndZoaJunky

HiEndZoaJunky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am assuming you are asking if you can keep all of them in a single sump without being divided, but I may be misunderstanding. If you are asking if you can just keep a group of clowns together in the sump and have them pair off to mate, the answer is no. *If* they don't end up killing each other, only the dominant female and dominant male will ever breed.
Well No See I know they will kill each other ... I have the following ... 210 gal main display... also large like LARGE Sump with 3 compartments ... also frag tank 8'x4' also frag tank 6'x3' LOL I am getting into this big time .. I also have 90 gallon display however not running so let me show you with few pics...

SO I am asking and know yes I can easily have 1 pair in main display
IMG_4703.JPG

and also in frag
IMG_4704.JPG

I guess this is the real question ... See all of these compartments .... why not have a pair in each of these as well?????? They would see one another yet no access unless they jump ?? however I have never done we'll keeping fish in the sump for extended time ... however now I have a little better lighting etc... IS this foolish to try???
IMG_4705.JPG

My other Frag and 90 are not operational yet but soon soon !!!

michellejy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see your point. It seems like it would work in theory, but hopefully someone who has set up a multi-tank breeding operation will chime in here.

OP
OP
HiEndZoaJunky

HiEndZoaJunky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Im thinking like kinda large scale haha ... but man it would suck to get into this and wait out the year to see if the bonded will begin to spawn ... am I thinking that part through correct??... Id just like to have a few going .... I think that I can sell them pretty easy ... but hey if it were that easy everyone would be doing it lol

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok i might be completely wrong but my buddy had his clowns breeding like crazy in his DT , and mine wouldn't breed at all , i asked him what he did to have them breeding . he said that he just added a very dim moonlight to the tank. so i ran out and got myself a little moonlight and my snowflakes started spawning in about 2-3 weeks, after I've had them for about 2 years, they also stopped spawning for me a moth ago because my moonlight went out. BUT this all might be just a coincidence, oh yeah and def feed them a lot with of frozen mysid . GL =)

OP
OP
HiEndZoaJunky

HiEndZoaJunky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is GL?? and I also agree with the other comments I had 5 clowns same tank for about 3 years ... Well I had a pair of 3 for 2 years and then I added a pair of black oceleras ... and they all amazingly got along for roughly a year... power outage and all dead ... I had literally over 60 green bubble tip anemones it broke my heart when I came home from vacation to a power outage that toasted them ... (cold as ice Utah Winter) started with only 2 green bubble tips... (grow split, so on it was insanely easy to maintain this system... which was great... anemones .... really neat easy tank ,,, (was my first tank ... tear)... sory Rambling... I found that green bubble Anemones were easy like they took over ... I liked them so I just went with it ..... However that is about all I was abler too keep..... But Now I want something little nicer and I cant keep so much as a rose tip alive,,,,, what the heck? I maintain PH 8.4 , Temp 76, ALK I try to have 7-9 ... lets see salinity .025 ... cal mag and I don't really watch as I do water changes bi weekly ... (also soft coral dominated tank ... thats changing now) Anyhow do clowns NEED NEED anemone ?? I mean I feel kinda bad watching them using toadstools etc... but I won't put anemone in my display ... Will it make a difference when it comes to Breeding the little Mo-Fos ??? lastly on the subject of anemones ... are there some types that could be considered reef safe or Reef SAFEST? (Perhaps Disc that can not Move right ???

Ok so I found that my black snowflakes are also known as phantoms ... anyhow ... The woman is definitely letting poor newly wed ***** whooped peter have it ... I mean I am surprised that the poor guy doesn't just commit at this point ,..... poor guy cant even step foot out the corner without miss Hillary dominating his sorry butt hahahaha its actually kinda comical ... I imagine that the woman says all sorts of profanity and insists that Peter keep his nose in the sand ... "Don't you even think of lifting your sory face !!! You will be my servant or I will beat your buns to death !! I want to film a short comedy called ... A woman in the white house ... I vote heck yeah hahaha jk sory no politics but anyways ... woman seams to handle **** right proper ya know ... so How long will this go on for ??? should I remove poor peter ??? I could at least swap him out for a few bucks at the local shop .. or just have a single in a next tank,,,, and also ... If I remove him then what ??? Just throw in another clown and see if they hook it up?? Can all clowns mix??? I also have in my sump right Now one solid black ocelerus and one ??? not tomato but close whatever those are ... anyhow Thanks for the insite on the topic and hopefully this wasn't offensive to anyone ,,, look if you have ever watched this event play out I don't know how you could not think it was a good laugh .. :) cheers ... Oh and check out my old throwback REEF PICS Thanks !!!!

13102655_10209856004743095_8216057418974213035_n.jpg

IMG_0184.JPG

IMG_0185.JPG

OP
OP
HiEndZoaJunky

HiEndZoaJunky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is GL?? and I also agree with the other comments I had 5 clowns same tank for about 3 years ... I have heard that most people simply don't know that the clowns are getting down and spawning ,,,, they are just simply starving as all hell and with little to no moral values they simply engage in canibalism to the 1rst degree... on a weekly basis to boot,,,, Well anyhow I had a pair of 3 for 2 years and then I added a pair of black oceleras ... and they all amazingly got along for roughly a year... power outage and all dead ... I had literally over 60 green bubble tip anemones it broke my heart when I came home from vacation to a power outage that toasted them ... (cold as ice Utah Winter not exactly toast but right\\) .... I started with only 2 green bubble tips... (grow split,grow split so on it was insanely easy to maintain this system... which was great... anemones .... really neat easy tank ,,, (was my first tank ... tear)... sory Rambling... I found that green bubble Anemones were easy like they took over ... I liked them so I just went with it ..... However that is about all I was abler too keep..... But Now I want something little nicer and I cant keep so much as a rose tip alive,,,,, ***? I maintain PH 8.4 , Temp 76, ALK I try to have 7-9 ... lets see salinity .025 ... cal mag and I don't really watch as I do water changes bi weekly ... (also soft coral dominated tank ... thats changing now) Anyhow do clowns NEED NEED anemone ?? I mean I feel kinda bad watching them using toadstools etc... but I won't put anemone in my display ... Will it make a difference when it comes to Breeding the little Mo-Fos ??? lastly on the subject of anemones ... are there some types that could be considered reef safe or Reef SAFEST? (Perhaps Disc that can not Move right ???

Ok so I found that my black snowflakes are also known as phantoms ... anyhow ... The woman is definitely letting poor newly wed ***** whooped peter have it ... I mean I am surprised that the poor guy doesn't just commit at this point ,..... poor guy cant even step foot out the corner without miss Hillary dominating his sorry butt hahahaha its actually kinda comical ... I imagine that the woman says all sorts of profanity and insists that Peter keep his nose in the sand ... "Don't you even think of lifting your sory face !!! You will be my servant or I will beat your buns to death !! I want to film a short comedy called ... A woman in the white house ... I vote heck yeah hahaha jk sory no politics but anyways ... woman seams to handle **** right proper ya know ... so How long will this go on for ??? should I remove poor peter ??? I could at least swap him out for a few bucks at the local shop .. or just have a single in a next tank,,,, and also ... If I remove him then what ??? Just throw in another clown and see if they hook it up?? Can all clowns mix??? I also have in my sump right Now one solid black ocelerus and one ??? not tomato but close whatever those are ... anyhow Thanks for the insite on the topic and hopefully this wasn't offensive to anyone ,,, look if you have ever watched this event play out I don't know how you could not think it was a good laugh .. :) cheers ... Oh and check out my old throwback REEF PICS Thanks !!!!

13102655_10209856004743095_8216057418974213035_n.jpg

IMG_0184.JPG

IMG_0185.JPG

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 14 21.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 50 75.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back