I heard you like Mantis Shrimp bro...

Squirrel_reefer

Call me Squirrel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will be mostly a progression thread to show the maturing of my new Peacock Mantis

A little history on the tank and Mantis...

Once upon a time I had a nice 55g mixed reef that was just getting onto its feet. I had several fish die unexpectedly and I was dealing with out of wack parameters as a consequence. I was planning to move soon anyway so I broke down the tank and my remaining livestock for the move. Once I got settled in to my new place... aka my parents house.... I set up a 20g tank to serve as temporary holding tank until I could move. I was running the same equipment as the 55g, a wet/dry with bio-balls and sponge along and for lighting an Arctic T247b.

Problems began almost immediately, the only tank inhabitants were a yellow tail damsel, a blood red fire shrimp and handful of inverts/cleanup. I would consider myself "experienced" since I have had successful mixed reefs in the past (40g and 30g) but honestly when I setup this temp tank I made some massive rookie mistakes. Firstly I used all the same sand, yes 3 bags give or take worth of sand in a 20g.... I know I know.... Secondly The center piece of the tank was a MASSIVE barnacle skeleton I had in the 55g, easily 25 heads, this thing was a detritus nightmare, and coupled with the sand, it killed my damsel, im sure of it. Along with the damsel I had several new plants that I had just added, start to whilt (kelp looking plants in the Cheato family) So I had a fallow tank for a little while with just the blood red to look at, Kinda like being single for a little while just to find yourself. I decided to stop being lazy about the tank and roll up my sleeves and get to it. I did water changes regularly, I scraped the barnacle for some dry rock, I slowly removed a $#^% load of sand and sat back and waited patiently.

Within the next month, my tank was starting bounce back. I added a SunSun 110 power head to improve circulation, and that made a big difference. At this point I had thrown in a Six-Line that my buddy no longer wanted, to see how he'd do. IMO six-lines are basically indestructible so if I couldn't keep him I was going to turn in my reefer card. My plants started to grow back at this point and my rock started to cure. I was so happy to see it coming back. I added a Yasha White Goby to the tank so I could have more fish to look at and then eventually some soft corals.

Now comes the fun part... For about 5 years (literally) I have been researching Mantis Shrimp of every kind, and I decided one day I would keep a Peacock in a species specific tank. Well... about that... on the local aquarium facebook page this kid put a juvenile Peacock for 40$ (not bad IMO because of shipping cost to order online) and I jumped on it immediately. When I went go look at it, I almost couldn't see him. He was inside a seashell that had been placed in a jar inside a fallow 55g tank. I scooped him up and took him home. Never before had I been so mesmerized by livestock. He was flipping and rolling around in the bag and he would follow my finger anywhere I moved it. I was literally in love. I built him a small quarantine "tank" and let him get used to being in something larger than a jar. needless to say he loved it.

Fast forward a month and now I live in a forever home. I scrapped the wet/dry for a refugium I built and the mantis lives freely in the tank with a lawn mower blenny, the Yasha, and the Six-line. Believe it or not, the mantis is actually very chill with the fish. He even shares a burrow with the Yasha. I wont lie, they have tangled before over the burrow but the Yasha was victorious. The whole idea of getting a young mantis was to condition him to a mixed reef environment. I have no doubt once he gets bigger he'll start killing some inverts but for now he doesn't even pay them any mind. We'll see what happens going forward. And now as your reward for reading the wall of text....the pics

Make sure to select 1080HD on all videos :cool:

IMG_20160922_174425982_HDR.jpg
IMG_20160922_174425982_HDR.jpg
IMG_20160922_174437323_HDR.jpg
IMG_20160922_174456207_HDR.jpg
IMG_20160922_175116718.jpg
IMG_20160922_182626842.jpg
IMG_20160925_183631610_HDR.jpg
IMG_20161008_200915441.jpg
IMG_20161008_200921738.jpg
IMG_20161008_200936463.jpg
IMG_20161015_154324953.jpg
IMG_20161015_161551348.jpg
IMG_20161015_161609503.jpg
IMG_20161015_194052544.jpg
IMG_20161018_190132037.jpg

Please excuse video quality

Last edited:

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Squirrel_reefer

Squirrel_reefer

Call me Squirrel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes for sure and a beautiful one at that. Check out this link, http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthropoda/crustacea/malacostraca/eumalacostraca/royslist/

Might help you narrow it down. If you can get a pic or see the color of the meral spots it will narrow it down even more.

Thank you very much, I will definitely follow up with that website and grab some more pics of him (hopefully better quality)

believe it or not he actually hand feeds, I just shake the food in front of him and he come right out to grab it and investigate my finger

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll admit I'm rusty on my mantis IDs. Can you see the color of the meral spots?

They are right above the "smashers" like the purple spots with white rings in this photo,

g_smithii1.jpg

If you can get him (or her) to look straight at you they are much easier to see.

OP
OP
Squirrel_reefer

Squirrel_reefer

Call me Squirrel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

Do NOT get a smasher mantis if you are a light sleeper. This guy has spent the last few night trying to bust up a sea shell that he lives in, I can hear him through two closed doors.

on a behavioral note, he still gets along well with everyone, I count my inverts everyday and he is 3 weeks with no fratricide. Since he has been conditioned to hand feed, he now tries to nibble on my finger if I put it near him.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 62 78.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.1%
Back