I just evicted a Melanurus sent straight from hell

skyhawkn5262y

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love Melanurus Wrasses. I've owned countless of them over my 25 years of reefing. Every single one I've owned has been a model citizen, worst thing I saw up to this point was picking at an overturned snail. Until the devil's spawn himself was introduced into my tank.

He was the most ornery, territorial, invertebrate destroying Melanurus I've ever owned. He harassed every fish in my tank except for the Clowns and Yellow Tang.

Yesterday was the last straw. After sitting in the acclimation boxes for a week, I introduced a Pink Margin Fairy and Yellowfin Flasher. The Melanurus ignored them while in the acclimation boxes, so I figured they would all co-exist peacefully, right? Wrong. Once they were released, the Melanurus went after them RELENTLESSLY. I was very irritated and angry. I'd had it with him. He had already killed every last snail and crab in my aquarium and harassing the new additions was the last straw. He had to go.

I expected it to be a battle trying to catch him. He was a smart and fast. He would bury himself in the sand at even the slightest hint of danger. I figured I would start with the easiest methods and work my way all the way up to rock and water removal, if needed. HE HAD TO GO.

Well, I did the DIY bottle trap and caught him within 1 minute. He swam right in and that was it.

Melanurus. Never again.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried 2 melanurus On separate occasions and both got rehomed for harassing/ attacking fish. They would grab snails and throw them against the glass or rocks. It took me awhile to catch mine in a trap. They lived mostly on live food a very little frozen. I bated trap with snails and that seemed to work.

One of many wrasse I like but think I’m done with them.

Happy you caught him to evict

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love Melanurus Wrasses. I've owned countless of them over my 25 years of reefing. Every single one I've owned has been a model citizen, worst thing I saw up to this point was picking at an overturned snail. Until the devil's spawn himself was introduced into my tank.

He was the most ornery, territorial, invertebrate destroying Melanurus I've ever owned. He harassed every fish in my tank except for the Clowns and Yellow Tang.

Yesterday was the last straw. After sitting in the acclimation boxes for a week, I introduced a Pink Margin Fairy and Yellowfin Flasher. The Melanurus ignored them while in the acclimation boxes, so I figured they would all co-exist peacefully, right? Wrong. Once they were released, the Melanurus went after them RELENTLESSLY. I was very irritated and angry. I'd had it with him. He had already killed every last snail and crab in my aquarium and harassing the new additions was the last straw. He had to go.

I expected it to be a battle trying to catch him. He was a smart and fast. He would bury himself in the sand at even the slightest hint of danger. I figured I would start with the easiest methods and work my way all the way up to rock and water removal, if needed. HE HAD TO GO.

Well, I did the DIY bottle trap and caught him within 1 minute. He swam right in and that was it.

Melanurus. Never again.
I haven't congested the rest of the thread yet but this sounds like a straight up battle.
But sounds like you won :)

OP
OP
skyhawkn5262y

skyhawkn5262y

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried 2 melanurus On separate occasions and both got rehomed for harassing/ attacking fish. They would grab snails and throw them against the glass or rocks. It took me awhile to catch mine in a trap. They lived mostly on live food a very little frozen. I bated trap with snails and that seemed to work.

One of many wrasse I like but think I’m done with them.

Happy you caught him to evict
It's interesting how I've had so many good ones, but a bad one was one of the worst fish I've ever had.

Yep, he would grab snails/crabs and smash them against the glass and rocks. I watched him rip a 1" Scarlet Hermit from his shell and swallow the entire crab in two bites. Very interesting to watch as they are magnificent hunters/killers, but tends to be very frustrating when he's decimating your CUC.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's interesting how I've had so many good ones, but a bad one was one of the worst fish I've ever had.

Yep, he would grab snails/crabs and smash them against the glass and rocks. I watched him rip a 1" Scarlet Hermit from his shell and swallow the entire crab in two bites. Very interesting to watch as they are magnificent hunters/killers, but tends to be very frustrating when he's decimating your CUC.
Crazy how he messed with hermits especially that big. Savage.
Love watching the hunting instinct. I replaced mine with a radiant with better luck. Still hints but minds his business.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
That’s why I have no wrasses. In the past all they’ve done is flip corals, pulled frags and dug as deep as they could making a mess with sand all over meaty corals and clam

OP
OP
skyhawkn5262y

skyhawkn5262y

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s why I have no wrasses. In the past all they’ve done is flip corals, pulled frags and dug as deep as they could making a mess with sand all over meaty corals and clam
That's another thing he would do. He'd grab a mouth full of sand and then drop it all over my LPS. Haha, seriously the worst fish ever.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back