OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love that sector 001, I'm working one on my bare (tank) bottom.:)

Thank you, Pedro. I really like that favia a lot.

Some of my chalice frags are getting bigger (although the majority are small pieces) and coloring up some more. I really have been trying to find and collect some of the older classics once again.

SelimSeven

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

3E62C0FC-EA1F-4200-B8CB-0347B6DE1F1B.jpeg

EDDBB846-B601-4D21-BED8-FBA8A4EB996C.jpeg

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not exactly a chalice but so pretty nonetheless, an acan I recently acquired.

An amazing collection you got there and loved the growth you were having. did you end up knowing what killed those chalices? my chalices do great for extended times but once in a while 1-2 don't do well, recede on the edge or from parts and either it spreads and kill the complete chalice or it heals and regrows and I can never relate it to anything specific as other LPS are doing good.
any idea on above chalice?

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An amazing collection you got there and loved the growth you were having. did you end up knowing what killed those chalices? my chalices do great for extended times but once in a while 1-2 don't do well, recede on the edge or from parts and either it spreads and kill the complete chalice or it heals and regrows and I can never relate it to anything specific as other LPS are doing good.
any idea on above chalice?

So my tank crashed about 5 years ago or so, I lose track of time so I could be off by some. And that is what wiped out most of my chalices. But I recently had some chalices die and it looked like infection of some sort. I don't know how many chalices I have now, probably 15-20 frags to colonies. The infection hit two chalices and it started to whiten up the flesh slowly in large areas. I lost two chalices I think. Currently, another is iffy whether it will get worse or recover. I took one other chalice out and dipped it in revive and iodine and the jury is out on it as well. Certainly I am guessing as to an infection. I have had chalice frags that have not thrived in my tank (never got them happy) and died and their downhill projection appears much different than what I believe I am seeing now which I believe is either a bacterial or viral infection. The chalices that have been effected are relatively large anywhere from 2-6 inches across. The flesh seems to slowly whiten up and dissappear and not necessarily from an edge, it appears almost opaque. I think it is likely that corals die from other causes than lighting, poor water quality, or starvation. I think infection is always a possibility. I hope I am not sounding like Im making excuses for poor husbandry. The chalices that died or appear infected had been in the tank for a good while and I have neither moved them nor had any significant change to my tank including parameters. All the remaining chalice frags or colonies look happy and healthy.

I probably should have photographed the colonies as they were getting sick and documented their demise. It is hard to photograph sick looking coral and share, though. I should have been braver and it would likely be helpful to contribute to everyone's knowledge base. I have been doing this long enough, lots of years, that sharing failure should go along with sharing success. Thanks for asking the question.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My son just got a Hollywood Stunner. Any tips, tricks, or pics?

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My son just got a Hollywood Stunner. Any tips, tricks, or pics?

It grows really fast and has long stingers so just be prepared. It’s going to ultimately take up some real estate and it could harm other corals near it by stinging. Otherwise, all the usual ... good water parameters, does not need high light and moderate to low flow.

I had a Hollywood stunner years ago I believe but I don’t have any pictures that I can find

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It grows really fast and has long stingers so just be prepared. It’s going to ultimately take up some real estate and it could harm other corals near it by stinging. Otherwise, all the usual ... good water parameters, does not need high light and moderate to low flow.

I had a Hollywood stunner years ago I believe but I don’t have any pictures that I can find
Is it cool to trim it?

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it cool to trim it?

Yes, thats where frags come from. People either use a coral saw like a gryphon or razor blade. Everything is on youtube, I expect there is a video on how to frag a chalice.

Of course, that means you need to plan on being able to get the chalice out of the tank. As they grow, chalices certainly tend to attach to rock work. If you are lucky enough to place it correctly, sometimes it will plate and not attach to the rock work.

I usually plan ahead and place something like d&d putty onto the rock work, gently compress it to the form of the rock work and let it harden. Make sure it is removable and be sure you have not squished the d&d putty into the rock work or it won't lift off the rock work. Then attach the chalice to the putty after the putty has hardened with glue/gel. That way the chalice can come out of the tank if you ever want to frag it. There is a little bit more to it than that, but for most part that is the gist of it.

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just trimmed this, Avatar chalice, yesterday. It got so large that it was stinging one of my sps. Although I love large chalices, my obsession is sps. The good thing it will get bigger again. This picture (just before I trimmed it) is with reefbrites but the chalice looks great with any lighting. I didn’t take any comparison shots. I’ll try and take a t5’s picture of it post trimming. I’m traveling again so it’ll have to wait a bit though

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like them too and I cannot lie...

I started this thread in 2013 and finally someone responds with the correct line.

I mistakenly allowed this chalice to encrust on my rock scape. I finally scraped it off and salvaged this frag which I have on a plug and will do my best not to let it encrust onto my rockscape again. I get confused between mummy eye, emerald eye and bubblegum chalices so if anyone can remind me of the differences I certainly would welcome it.

coral-5-2.jpg

This next chalice glows under blues but I took the picture with halides on. It has dashes and eyes.

coral-6-2.jpg

Last edited:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back