OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just love watermelons of all kinds. I have this mounted vertically and its a top down picture so a little weird view. And as far as colors go, my metal halides are on

coral-12-2.jpg

Well I thought I would flip the photo ninety degrees for a different perspective and now it looks like a brightly colored tennis shoe.

coral-12-3.jpg

Last edited:

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what it is about this one but it just grows super fast. It is on it's way to becoming a square so while it will be big it's not round :(
In my display the colony is round though, I just keep breaking the ends off since it just overhangs the rock.

IMG_8358.jpg

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what it is about this one but it just grows super fast. It is on it's way to becoming a square so while it will be big it's not round :(
In my display the colony is round though, I just keep breaking the ends off since it just overhangs the rock.
That is beautiful.

This is another really pretty chalice but with a different colored border

coral-13-2.jpg

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was out of town last week so now that I am back, I will continue with some more chalice sharing.

I think this chalice pictured below is a stunning watermelon chalice. It had a large bump in the middle so I cut it off with my coral saw and its filling back in the middle with a green rim on the periphery and in the center. Kinda cool. The center green rim will disappear I presume but in the meantime I think it is fascinating.

coral-14-2.jpg

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was out of town last week so now that I am back, I will continue with some more chalice sharing.

I think this chalice pictured below is a stunning watermelon chalice. It had a large bump in the middle so I cut it off with my coral saw and its filling back in the middle with a green rim on the periphery and in the center. Kinda cool. The center green rim will disappear I presume but in the meantime I think it is fascinating.

coral-14-2.jpg
sweet, keep sharing the pics man.

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sweet, keep sharing the pics man.

Thank you, it is fun sharing..

The chalice below I think may be a convict although I am not sure yet. It looks like it had some die back before I got it but it is seemingly happy now. The view is weird because I place a lot of my chalices on vertical walls, basically anywhere there is a free spot that won't crowd my sps, well at least won't crowd them for a while. And then I take virtually all top down pictures so it may take a moment to orient the view.

coral-15-2.jpg

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, it is fun sharing..

The chalice below I think may be a convict although I am not sure yet. It looks like it had some die back before I got it but it is seemingly happy now. The view is weird because I place a lot of my chalices on vertical walls, basically anywhere there is a free spot that won't crowd my sps, well at least won't crowd them for a while. And then I take virtually all top down pictures so it may take a moment to orient the view.

coral-15-2.jpg
Do you shoot your top downs with a tube (like Avast Porthole) or through surface? I do most of my top down with the porthole, but always get some "wave" blur if I try and have a decent F-stop for depth.

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you shoot your top downs with a tube (like Avast Porthole) or through surface? I do most of my top down with the porthole, but always get some "wave" blur if I try and have a decent F-stop for depth.

I have both the avast porthole and the building an obsession camera tube. I got super glue on the avast porthole which doesn't come off acrylic so I use it simply for a top down viewer. I use the building an obsession camera tube in the water for my pictures now.

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two pink ******* chalices from two different sources growing under two different lighting condition. This one below is in a fair amount of light, the other not shown is in shade. This one in light grows like crazy. I believe the blasto on top is a black widow and the one on the bottom is not named

coral-16-2.jpg

timrocks311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two pink ******* chalices from two different sources growing under two different lighting condition. This one below is in a fair amount of light, the other not shown is in shade. This one in light grows like crazy. I believe the blasto on top is a black widow and the one on the bottom is not named

coral-16-2.jpg

I have a pink ******* chalice and it is the slowest growing chalice I have. Do you recommend more or less light for better growth? I've mostly kept mine lower. Maybe I should move it up higher.

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pink ******* chalice and it is the slowest growing chalice I have. Do you recommend more or less light for better growth? I've mostly kept mine lower. Maybe I should move it up higher.

The one in lower light I have never trimmed because it just hasn't grown that much. This one is a growing like a fiend. I have other chalices in dark shadowing that grow really fast though. I think it is likely a combination of light and flow or perhaps just lucky. If its easy to move, you way want to try it in more light but keep an eye on it in case it gets unhappy. Take my suggestion with a grain of salt because should you move your chalice and it gets unhappy, they can be hard to cheer up.

Whether it be chalices, actually any LPS or SPS, some seemingly take off and others sit and sit and do nothing. I am not sure what turns any of these corals into fast growing critters while their neighbors just watch and don't participate in rapid growth.

Braves Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this mounted vertically and its a top down picture so a little weird view.

coral-12-2.jpg

coral-12-3.jpg

There is a question coming at you :)

I have a Aqua Rocks scape in my tank ,, you can do a quick search to see what that is :) Its a very open scape ,, at least mine is ,, I was going to ,, after I got zoas mounted everywhere on the scape that I wanted them ,, I was going mount more zoas to my back glass panel ,, because of that open scape ,, light does hit that back panel ,, as SPS corals grow & get larger ,, the areas where light hits that back panel will become smaller ,, but because of the way this scape is ,, there will be places where light will always hit that panel ..

Then I saw your post on this vertical mounted chalice :) why mess around mounting zoas to that back panel ,, glue a chalice frag to the glass ,, there is no reason for it not to grow there ,, if it can grow vertically on your rock ,, it can grow vertically on a glass panel ,, So, my question ,, I have seen chalices grow on the glass in bare bottom tanks ,, WWC for example ,, I have know idea if they are stuck to the glass or not ,, If I glue a mounted chalice frag to the back panel ,, as it grows off the plug ,, will it stick to the glass ,, or ,, will it not stick to the glass ,, and over time the weight of the chalice will pull the original frag plug off the glass and fall to the bottom of the tank?

I am starting a ,, mostly Chalice only tank ,, tank has been ordered from Mircales Aquariums 48x24x15 ,, it will have some cherry picked acans in the tank though ,, Chalices from my display tank will be moved over to this new tank ,, but I can and will mount some chalice frags to that back panel ,, depending the answer to this question :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a question coming at you :)

I have a Aqua Rocks scape in my tank ,, you can do a quick search to see what that is :) Its a very open scape ,, at least mine is ,, I was going to ,, after I got zoas mounted everywhere on the scape that I wanted them ,, I was going mount more zoas to my back glass panel ,, because of that open scape ,, light does hit that back panel ,, as SPS corals grow & get larger ,, the areas where light hits that back panel will become smaller ,, but because of the way this scape is ,, there will be places where light will always hit that panel ..

Then I saw your post on this vertical mounted chalice :) why mess around mounting zoas to that back panel ,, glue a chalice frag to the glass ,, there is no reason for it not to grow there ,, if it can grow vertically on your rock ,, it can grow vertically on a glass panel ,, So, my question ,, I have seen chalices grow on the glass in bare bottom tanks ,, WWC for example ,, I have know idea if they are stuck to the glass or not ,, If I glue a mounted chalice frag to the back panel ,, as it grows off the plug ,, will it stick to the glass ,, or ,, will it not stick to the glass ,, and over time the weight of the chalice will pull the original frag plug off the glass and fall to the bottom of the tank?

I am starting a ,, mostly Chalice only tank ,, tank has been ordered from Mircales Aquariums 48x24x15 ,, it will have some cherry picked acans in the tank though ,, Chalices from my display tank will be moved over to this new tank ,, but I can and will mount some chalice frags to that back panel ,, depending the answer to this question :)

I have never grown chalices on glass. But I have seen lots of reefers grow chalices on a glass bottom. However, I don't really know if they attach or not. If you bump or move them frequently enough (like once a week or two), they won't attach to rock work usually. I don't have experience with chalices on glass to really answer your question though. I don't glue anything to the glass but I have no rule for it--just kind of don't like the idea of gluing to glass.

Here is another little chalice frag getting happy with a photobomb by my melanarus wrasse.

coral-18-2.jpg

bar|none

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bravo!! Incredible thread. One thing I am curious about and I did not find the answer...

Is it possible to grow chalices on the back glass of a tank? If so then how?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 108 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 9 6.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back