OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Didn't think so, you would of definitely got a bravo from me on that one.
For my 20 gallon tank the around $200 cost of a good RODI unit is not justified for me right now. Of course it is if you have a huge tank or a dedicated tank room behind the scenes then it makes more sense.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love crystal sea! The good stuff, not the stuff with the de-chlorinator in it. My friends at HoldfastAQ use it and they spawn muscles and oysters with it and use it for their Phyto strains that you can't kill!
https://www.holdfastaq.com/store
So like someone said, probably the water of your LFS.
BTW, as a disclaimer I use NeoMarine now.
Also, The feeling you are getting from IO/RC i the fact that it is a enriched salt mix.
Just like the Maddog 2020 enriched wine you get at the liquor store, there can be consequences... :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not get an RODI unit I will though at some point. I used distilled water.
I just picked up some distilled water which I realized is actually cheaper then my lfs per gallon and bought some Instant Ocean Reef Crystals which are coming tomorrow so hopefully it’ll solve some issues I’m having! I need to buy an RODI too but the one I want wouldn’t get here for another week or two so for now this works!:beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

My bad.. I misunderstood. I thought you had purchased an RODI and got distilled water to get by until it arrived.

Pico bam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a bucket of the IO salt once (The purple bucket) it was cheaper but I didn't really see any difference. I stick with the Reef Crystals because I have a TON of corals. The cost difference is not worth the possibility of losing stock. Similar to running premium gas in my car... Is the $2 savings at the pump worth possibly destroying a $4000 turbocharger?
Yea if I didn't run premium my engine would have been toast a long time ago from Predetonation. The right tool for the right job.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I love crystal sea! The good stuff, not the stuff with the de-chlorinator in it. My friends at HoldfastAQ use it and they spawn muscles and oysters with it and use it for their Phyto strains that you can't kill!
https://www.holdfastaq.com/store
So like someone said, probably the water of your LFS.
BTW, as a disclaimer I use NeoMarine now.
Also, The feeling you are getting from IO/RC i the fact that it is a enriched salt mix.
Just like the Maddog 2020 enriched wine you get at the liquor store, there can be consequences... :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
I really don’t drink or like the taste of alcohol so I can’t relate to that one sorry lol.

Last edited:

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trust I'm not knocking it, just didn't care for the high cal & mag numbers. I have only softies and zoa's, just doesn't consume nearly as much.
Check out my most recent posts on my build thread... My numbers are falling!! Nothing to panic over, but still.. Mag is low, calcium is low, Nitrates are WAY low. Even after a 20g WC last night, numbers are still down.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fortified... It's fortified wine. Or malt liquor.

I age myself quickly if I divulge into tales of fortified wines, lol.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For your needs, A $100 amazon setup will do just fine. Unless you plan on a huge upgrade in the next few months I wouldn't worry about getting a higher priced unit.
I did see a $70 one but I read mixed reviews. I’ll probably end up buying the one from BRS.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did see a $70 one but I read mixed reviews. I’ll probably end up buying the one from BRS.
The aquatic life one isn't bad. For what your going to do with it, it will work fine. It's the folks with goofy expectations from a 70 dollar rodi water maker are the one that have problems, thus the crummy reviews.

Pico bam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got 6 buckets of red sea pro for 200$ I can find 50gallon bags of reef crystals every so often for 8$-9$ online from chewy or walmart

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The aquatic life one isn't bad. For what your going to do with it, it will work fine. It's the folks with goofy expectations from a 70 dollar rodi water maker are the one that have problems, thus the crummy reviews.
That’s good to hear! Thanks.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok.. I need to address my previous post.

This is the unit I have:

I don't recall it being that much when I got it. Perhaps the price has gone up.

This system makes enough water to maintain my 180g, 135g and 32g tanks. (Now you know why I mix my water in 30g batches)

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fortified... It's fortified wine. Or malt liquor.

I age myself quickly if I divulge into tales of fortified wines, lol.
If you have ever ridden the "Night Train" you will know what sea creatures feel like with a fresh dose of, ahem Fortified salt...

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have ever ridden the "Night Train" you will know what sea creatures feel like with a fresh dose of, ahem Fortified salt...
I have ahem' ridden the 'night train' express. I was more of a T-Bird or Boones farm guy. It's all swill, lol.

Those poor fish, poor ornamental fish.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 39.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 36 28.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 24 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back