• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

I made a boo boo...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCK_8814

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 89.5%
17   2   0
I think the enhancement proposed by @revhtree in the quote below will address the issues that both of you have with the new forum. I too did not care for it at first. However, after a little thought it is kind of nice to be able to follow only the things that I could feasibly use. I don't need to know every time someone posts a 200g aquarium setup for $5k or when sumps are posted. With this new category system I can weed those threads out and follow smaller items that might be useful to my setup.

Long story short... give it a little time and you might decide you like the new way better. Most of us have a hard time with change! haha If not it has been promised that there will soon be a tab to browse all of the dry goods threads on one page. Rome was not built in a day! :)

I get that to an extent. But I would at least like to receive the notifications when new things are posted which I’m currently not even with having the “watch” button selected.

Dr. Phil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get that to an extent. But I would at least like to receive the notifications when new things are posted which I’m currently not even with having the “watch” button selected.

@revhtree may need to check on that. I would think the watch button that he pointed out would not notify you of new threads within the different categories. I went into each of the categories that I want to receive notifications for and watched them. This method allows for very granular control of what notifications I receive. However, I completely get the point you are making about wanting to receive notifications for every for sale thread created as I too wanted that when this first came about. Hopefully the administrators can find a happy median that will allow everyone to get most of what they want out of the new forum while improving the overall experience. :)

Evan1901

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Being able to filter tag in Marketplace would be nice and save filter as well
2. Instead of Watch threads etc like discuss earlier, can we not watch marketplace? Especially with customized filter tag

Just a thought.

jschultzbass

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let us know what we are missing! This is a work in progress.
This is nice for sure, but I like just scrolling through the whole list and to me it's super annoying to to keep clicking through categories and back and click, click, click. Is there a way to have the running list of new posts, like what you do on the home page of R2R as well as how it used to be, as well as have them in categories?

CCK_8814

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 89.5%
17   2   0
This is nice for sure, but I like just scrolling through the whole list and to me it's super annoying to to keep clicking through categories and back and click, click, click. Is there a way to have the running list of new posts, like what you do on the home page of R2R as well as how it used to be, as well as have them in categories?
Exactly same here. Was nice to just scroll through everything when you’re bored and majority of the time I’d find something to buy. Now it’s like it’ll be too much effort to even scroll through everything.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know how it would work on the back end, so forgive me if this isn't feasible, but is there any way to utilize both the new and old approaches? Allow people to search all used equipment posts at once (right now marketplace includes both the livestock and company specific pages which can get cluttered), while allowing categorization? For example, users would be prompted to tag their posts with a preset list (e.g. skimmers, lights, aquariums, etc.). Then people could decide if they want to window shop a page of all drygoods, all posts tagged with skimmer, etc.

Just brainstorming...

stevethao

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with most people. I don’t like clicking into a category, then subcategories, then more categories. I just wanna be able to scroll through when I’m bored. I’ve found things I didn’t know I was looking for by just scrolling through. I doubt that happens if I have to keep clicking into categories.

Lonelyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know how it would work on the back end, so forgive me if this isn't feasible, but is there any way to utilize both the new and old approaches? Allow people to search all used equipment posts at once (right now marketplace includes both the livestock and company specific pages which can get cluttered), while allowing categorization? For example, users would be prompted to tag their posts with a preset list (e.g. skimmers, lights, aquariums, etc.). Then people could decide if they want to window shop a page of all drygoods, all posts tagged with skimmer, etc.

Just brainstorming...
This right here is genius. I respect the mods and the effort but it just made a really easy process kind of a pain i often scroll through everything and randomly might buy something I think a lot of us do. It’s going to hurt those kinds of sales And i actually really enjoyed scrolling through this section. It’s actually what helped me to buy another reef tank and pick up some used stuff to make it happen.

If this is done here I’d imagine then in corals there should be separate zooas, spas ,softy, lps, Gargs etc.
it wasn’t broken personally I say leave it and just make everyone tag what they are selling so people that want to find those items can just do a search and bam or scroll through quicker. Just my two cents.

CCK_8814

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 89.5%
17   2   0
Even clicking watch inside each subsection doesn’t actually give you alerts . You have to go into each sub-sub section of the sub section and watch that forum. HUGE PIA.

JoshB94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great initiative but I think this is way to specific. I certainly won't be clicking through every section to see whats new, which hurts the views for sellers who buy "that thing they didn't even know they needed" if there was hundreds of posts daily then maybe but the amount of content is very manageable to scroll through manually or key word search.

I built a 1,000+- folder structure system once at the request of a client, took a few weeks of research and creating - never saw it again after delivered. Sometimes people prefer simple.

Dr. Phil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Posts that have multiple items from multiple categories in them will never end. Lol

Mengchhorn Chhun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did agree with most people which it more simple to be just in one category so if i want to buy or getting few different things, i could just scroll down and when selling i don't have to separate into many different post.

kruler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can subscribe to watching the all the forums with one click.

Untitled-11.jpg

This didn't work for me. I'm not getting any notifications. Is there a fix?

SuperDodge

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im with the majority. This change discourages me from “window shopping” and will certainly limit sales of smaller miscellaneous items. I love that you guys are trying to do something to make everything better but making me click four menu levels deep for sale posts isn’t it.

stevethao

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not read ONE reply on here that supports this new format, but I have a feeling that whoever is running this site is going to stick with their new and “improved” format, just because they can. Haha.

Dr. Phil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So... I don't know if this was planned before the question of the day was on a site garage sale. However, the idea of categorization of for sale threads was proposed by the members of R2R and supported by said members.

Honestly I think with diligent moderator support the new format will be much better than the craziness that was the old dry goods for sale forum. Give it a little time everyone it may turn out that you like it better this way if you give it a chance. :cool:

The mods and @revhtree are very responsive to the community and try to make decisions that support the majority of the site members as much as possible.

Moral of the story on bringing up the question of the day... Be sure to pay attention to them and give your opinions. Haha

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll be the contrarian here. I like the new upgrades because I look for specific items ie pumps. Go to pumps, hit watch and done. I’m not one to look for “things” to buy. I have interest in certain items so it works for me. Of course my interest may change from time to time;)

BantyRooster97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So... I don't know if this was planned before the question of the day was on a site garage sale. However, the idea of categorization of for sale threads was proposed by the members of R2R and supported by said members.

Honestly I think with diligent moderator support the new format will be much better than the craziness that was the old dry goods for sale forum. Give it a little time everyone it may turn out that you like it better this way if you give it a chance. :cool:

The mods and @revhtree are very responsive to the community and try to make decisions that support the majority of the site members as much as possible.

Moral of the story on bringing up the question of the day... Be sure to pay attention to them and give your opinions. Haha

That was for a TOTALLY different idea... used only items, typical of a garage sale. I, like others have mentioned, scroll through the used goods section on occasion when I am bored and have purchased many things I didn't even know I "needed". Just like I do in the livestock section. I went through this again today & won't be doing it again. I can already see fewer posts and it took way to much effort to just look around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back