I made a video of my experience using Microbe-Lift Herbtana Parasite remover, and what it did to my tank, hope this info helps other reefers!

ragnarokreviews

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what happened when I took my LFS's recommendation and tried to use Microbe-Lift Herbtana to remove some parasites. Hope this helps others!

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good info.

Thanks for posting.. If it saves even one person, its worth it...

Just out of curiosity, what parasites did you have in your tank that you were attempting to remove? Did it remove them?

OP
OP
ragnarokreviews

ragnarokreviews

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good info.

Thanks for posting.. If it saves even one person, its worth it...

Just out of curiosity, what parasites did you have in your tank that you were attempting to remove? Did it remove them?
Agreeeeeed! This is a costly hobby to learn the hardway.

My Midas blenny was acting very odd like something was itching his gills, I couldn't see anything but thought I should get some sort of treatment and being the new reefer I was at the time, I blindly trusted the LFS. Unfortunately I don't know if it ever worked for sure, but I don't think it did. My Midas sadly cut it's own belly open while trying to do a flick off the ground a week later on an empty sharp snail shell that was hiding in the aragonite. He didn't make it :(

Last edited:

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK... This is both informative and troubling.

Please don't take this as a personal attack, as that is not my intention. I wish to advise further readers of the risk of what you did.

You were not certain you even had a parasite, and based on an LFS recommendation you added a chemical to your DT that nearly destroyed it. Chemicals should be the LAST resort, unless you know for sure what you are dealing with.

I hope your tank is recovering and am grateful that you posted this so others will not suffer what you did.

OP
OP
ragnarokreviews

ragnarokreviews

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK... This is both informative and troubling.

Please don't take this as a personal attack, as that is not my intention. I wish to advise further readers of the risk of what you did.

You were not certain you even had a parasite, and based on an LFS recommendation you added a chemical to your DT that nearly destroyed it. Chemicals should be the LAST resort, unless you know for sure what you are dealing with.

I hope your tank is recovering and am grateful that you posted this so others will not suffer what you did.
Yes, 100% with you there, having had almost a year more experience since then. Still learning each day but at the time I tried this, I was only 2-3 months into the hobby, very new and had no idea what I was doing and just blindly trusted my LFS. They recommended this "all natural herbal" and "reef safe" pointing to the claims on the bottle, so I thought at the time (same as any newbie) "Oh alrighty sounds good to me" lol.

I have since learned a lot, my tank not only recovered but has been doing excellent since then and I want to make sure others don't make the same mistake I made.

I am positive this video should help any new reefers steer correctly like you said, "if it saves even one person, its worth it." Learn from my mistakes haha! Don't trust your LFS, do your own research!

Last edited:

sticknstring90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish I had seen this thread before coming here to express my distrust with herbtana. I also dosed less than the minimum in my QT tank today and nearly killed everything instantly. Luckily I had prepared a 100% water change just in case. I'll continue to do 50% for the next week and then restart QT process. Such a waste of money and time :/

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 76.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 6.0%
Back