I may have an issue!

A_Marino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first post ever and I really wish is was on something else. I came home yesterday and noticed one of the heads of my trumpet corals died. I came home today and noticed the other died. It think it was brown jelly. When I went to rinse it off and the skeleton was literally bare. I then noticed what looked like two tips of my torch on the sand bed and I’m starting to think my hammer doesn’t look so great. I know my nitrates are low so I ordered some neo nitro and I have a phosphate tester on the way. Everything has been fine lately except I’ve been dosing vibrant and my tank literally exploded with way more algae then I started with. Any help would be greatly appreciated
461E7BA9-D14F-49BB-A384-3233C21715C2.jpeg

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you might have an issue. But we can't help without tank history and water parameters.
I would stop dosing things until you know what's going on.

OP
OP
A_Marino

A_Marino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you might have an issue. But we can't help without tank history and water parameters.
I would stop dosing things until you know what's going on.
Tank is 15gal and 4 months old. 20%water change every week. Alk is 8.3 calc 425 salinity 1.025 ph 8.2 nitrate 1ppm. I add aminos daily and feed corals twice a week with reef roids per the instructions

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Agree on reef roids impact on water quality. Switch to mysis shrimp (2-3 pieces every other day)
Gently blow off the remaining head with a turkey baster.
Assure moderate light and water flow. Change your water biweekly rather than weekly unless your water tests indicate the need sooner.
What test kits are you using ?

OP
OP
A_Marino

A_Marino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also to mention all the corals in the tank have been doing great for months. The coral that died was just added 7 days ago

OP
OP
A_Marino

A_Marino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree on reef roids impact on water quality. Switch to mysis shrimp (2-3 pieces every other day)
Gently blow off the remaining head with a turkey baster.
Assure moderate light and water flow. Change your water biweekly rather than weekly unless your water tests indicate the need sooner.
What test kits are you using ?
Hanna dkh, Hanna phosphate ulr on its way, Red Sea calc pro and Red Sea foundations Hanna ph meter and separate Hanna salinity meter

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also to mention all the corals in the tank have been doing great for months. The coral that died was just added 7 days ago
This tells me that it was something with the new coral. Don’t change anything Except stop dosing vibrant.

OP
OP
A_Marino

A_Marino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tells me that it was something with the new coral. Don’t change anything Except stop dosing vibrant.
Thanks. Will do. I’ve had corals in the tank since week two and they have been doing great and growing really well. This was the first time anything has really went south in this tank. All corals are dipped and moved to new frag disks if I can (except anything from ORA) which I accidentally fragged my first sps frag in the process lol

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.4%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 74 43.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back