I messed up

itselenababe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just set up a new 75gal tank, filled it with water two nights ago with some salt, ran out of salt, bought more and added it yesterday evening, the water got cloudy and I assumed it would be fine by this morning. Well, it’s not. For the life of me I couldn’t figure out why it was cloudy until I realized I dumped the salt into a bucket then added the water. To make it worse, since I was tired and impatient I didn’t mix it for that long and added it faster than I should have.

Is there a way to correct it besides waiting to see if it hopefully clears up? I used instant ocean so i fear that it likely won’t. The last time this happened I had to completely restart but with 75gal I really don’t want to have to do that since I’ve already dumped bacteria in and it wasn’t cheap. I dosed with seachem clarity twice but it did nothing

OP
OP
itselenababe

itselenababe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless im missing something I see no reason to why it shouldnt clear up. assuming you have no livestock in there isnt any risk IMO
No livestock. Just worried that it won’t clear at all because of what happened last time

OP
OP
itselenababe

itselenababe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
patience on waiting for it to clear and patience going forward. take a breath and slow down.
Just worried it won’t clear at all because last time I did this I had to completely restart

any suggestions for new brand of salt? The cloudiness seems to be an ongoing issue with this brand regardless

Reefing_addiction

Corals and Cronies over Crack
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so next time premix your saltwater. Should be mixed night before.

are you using any kind of mechanical filtration?
The clarity stuff works by binding to stuff in the water (to make bigger more easily filter pieces) and then when it goes through a filter it stays

be patient

Reefing_addiction

Corals and Cronies over Crack
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just worried it won’t clear at all because last time I did this I had to completely restart

any suggestions for new brand of salt? The cloudiness seems to be an ongoing issue with this brand regardless
You need to premix your salt. I also use instant oceans and I do t have a cloudy issue

OP
OP
itselenababe

itselenababe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be patient, there's no reason it won't clear on its own. I would check your salinity level since you ran out of salt then had to add more later to be sure its at an acceptable level.
Salinity is at 23. I only had about 2.5cups of salt if that, I thought I bought a new bag prior but I must have forgotten

OP
OP
itselenababe

itselenababe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to premix your salt. I also use instant oceans and I do t have a cloudy issue
I did but only for an hour because I wanted to clean up and get to bed. Probably should have just left it over night

I’m jealous! I’ve read a lot of reviews stating similar issues. Usually it’s fine but I’ve run into this issue about 6 or so times now through water changes etc (only having to redo a tank once though), it’s just a pain because somehow I always manage to get more water on the floor than in the buckets. We have 3 other tanks running right now so I’m familiar with this product

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok then, I use Red Sea salt and its clear within 10 minutes after mixing so the extended cloudiness made me think there was an issue. Also I would add the bacteria now and just hang out and let nature take its course. I haven't had to cycle a new tank in a long time as I use all my live rock and sand to start up a new tank, thus have an instant cycled tank ready for livestock pretty much immediately.

Rubblereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did but only for an hour because I wanted to clean up and get to bed. Probably should have just left it over night

I’m jealous! I’ve read a lot of reviews stating similar issues. Usually it’s fine but I’ve run into this issue about 6 or so times now through water changes etc (only having to redo a tank once though), it’s just a pain because somehow I always manage to get more water on the floor than in the buckets. We have 3 other tanks running right now so I’m familiar with this product
I switched to tropic marin and am glad I did. IO took forever to mix clear, and left a buch of brown gunk in my brute can after every fill. To me its worth a few extra bucks a month to be able to mix and use almost immediately, and not have to clean my brute can every 3 weeks.

OP
OP
itselenababe

itselenababe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok then, I use Red Sea salt and its clear within 10 minutes after mixing so the extended cloudiness made me think there was an issue. Also I would add the bacteria now and just hang out and let nature take its course. I haven't had to cycle a new tank in a long time as I use all my live rock and sand to start up a new tank, thus have an instant cycled tank ready for livestock pretty much immediately.
Thank you! That seems to be a pretty popular brand, I’ll definitely give it a try

bacteria went in last night, I might pick up some live rock later but we’re wanting the vibe for this tank to be more “minimalistic” with light coloured fake rock/coral looking structures and a few sps. Just trying to decide whether or not we want to add purple since all of our other tanks have tons of live rock already

OP
OP
itselenababe

itselenababe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched to tropic marin and am glad I did. IO took forever to mix clear, and left a buch of brown gunk in my brute can after every fill. To me its worth a few extra bucks a month to be able to mix and use almost immediately, and not have to clean my brute can every 3 weeks.
I’ll definitely look into it thank you! I haven’t heard of it but I trust your judgement since you know what I’m dealing with. Small problem but super annoying

OP
OP
itselenababe

itselenababe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so next time premix your saltwater. Should be mixed night before.

are you using any kind of mechanical filtration?
The clarity stuff works by binding to stuff in the water (to make bigger more easily filter pieces) and then when it goes through a filter it stays

be patient
Yes I am. Guess I’ll just have to wait and see!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 13 46.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • None.

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 7.1%
Back