I need a small false Euro Brcae

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have The Plank by avastmarine. I love it but I am redoing my tank setup. I need to put it on the back in the corner of my 32g Fiji cube. It is a rimless tank. I am looking for someone to make a "false eurobrace out of plexiglass that would hang on the edge of the take with a hole in it for the pump and feeding tube to fit in. I would then need a rim with a small ledge around the sides that face the water to set my screen to on. I am looking for someone who can design and make it for me. I have sent one email to Marc Levenson, but I he is always busy. Who else would you recommend?

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have The Plank by avastmarine. I love it but I am redoing my tank setup. I need to put it on the back in the corner of my 32g Fiji cube. It is a rimless tank. I am looking for someone to make a "false eurobrace out of plexiglass that would hang on the edge of the take with a hole in it for the pump and feeding tube to fit in. I would then need a rim with a small ledge around the sides that face the water to set my screen to on. I am looking for someone who can design and make it for me. I have sent one email to Marc Levenson, but I he is always busy. Who else would you recommend?
Can you show a sketch of what you mean? What are the dimensions you want as well as glass-thickness dimensions on your rimless tank?
Also, does it have to be plexiglass, or would 3D-printing be an option in an opaque color?

I think I have a picture of what you want, but could use more details. If 3D-printing is an option, I might be able to design and print what you need if I am understanding correctly.

Otherwise, hopefully others will provide information for other options.

OP
OP
Ippyroy

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you show a sketch of what you mean? What are the dimensions you want as well as glass-thickness dimensions on your rimless tank?
Also, does it have to be plexiglass, or would 3D-printing be an option in an opaque color?

I think I have a picture of what you want, but could use more details. If 3D-printing is an option, I might be able to design and print what you need if I am understanding correctly.

3d should work I'd think. I can try to draw something, but my artistic skill are lacking to say the least.:)

OP
OP
Ippyroy

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Glass is 10mm thick. It needs to be 1/2 tall to sit at or above the water level. The hole would need to fit the tube which is 2.375" outer diameter and start within 2 inches of either side of the glass. The ledge on the 2 edges away from the glass would need to be about 1/4 of inch to hold the screen. The ledges would be on the front and the side. Total length would need to be around 5" x 4" I think.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glass is 10mm thick. It needs to be 1/2 tall to sit at or above the water level. The hole would need to fit the tube which is 2.375" outer diameter and start within 2 inches of either side of the glass. The ledge on the 2 edges away from the glass would need to be about 1/4 of inch to hold the screen. The ledges would be on the front and the side. Total length would need to be around 5" x 4" I think.
Are you picturing something like this sketch?
1635362147052.png

The channel on bottom right would go all the way around the corner to sit on top of the glass. The ledge for the screen is shown on the left side. The hole(s) could be placed at any dimension inside the channel edge (which would be inside of glass surface).

I definitely think I can work out a design that can be tailored to your needs and printed relatively cheaply.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be a small tray if that makes sense.
Yes, that makes sense.
How low should the tray top surface be below the top of glass?

How much weight will this carry?

Can you share some details about the Avast Marine Plank that you have? Do you have any pictures and overall dimensions?

Thanks,
Soren

OP
OP
Ippyroy

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the feeder. It would need to be about 1/2" deep with ledges in the middle on the outside two rims.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Saw your avatar and just had to drop in and…

Atlanta Braves Yes GIF by MLB

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the feeder. It would need to be about 1/2" deep with ledges in the middle on the outside two rims.
Here is a screenshot of the preliminary model:
1635363908103.png

The tray plate can just be extended like shown to support the screen, or there could be a step in height difference to make a separate ledge for the screen.
The channel on the right two sides would slip over the glass on the corner. I would need confirmation on silicone amount in the corner to ensure clearance as well as confirmation on the outside of the corner being square and "sharp".

Does the auto-feeder drop tube measure exactly 2-3/8"? Is it acceptable to add tolerance to make sure it fits with an oversized hole (2-1/2" diameter)?

Also, at what points are the auto-feeder supported? I think I see a notch designed to sit on the rim?

Let me know if I am on the right track for what you wanted.

OP
OP
Ippyroy

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a screenshot of the preliminary model:
1635363908103.png

The tray plate can just be extended like shown to support the screen, or there could be a step in height difference to make a separate ledge for the screen.
The channel on the right two sides would slip over the glass on the corner. I would need confirmation on silicone amount in the corner to ensure clearance as well as confirmation on the outside of the corner being square and "sharp".

Does the auto-feeder drop tube measure exactly 2-3/8"? Is it acceptable to add tolerance to make sure it fits with an oversized hole (2-1/2" diameter)?

Also, at what points are the auto-feeder supported? I think I see a notch designed to sit on the rim?

Let me know if I am on the right track for what you wanted.
This looks great. I would like an edge around the other 2 sides with the ledge in the middle of it to help keep the screen tight. You could leave the corner off maybe. Avastmarine says the tube is 2.375" so 2.5" would be good. You could make it a little bigger by a mm or 2 for sure.

OP
OP
Ippyroy

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am speaking wrong slightly. Have the side come up all the way around and up and over like you have it and with ledges on the outside of the other 2 sides. Black would be best now that I think about it. Algae grows along the bottom of tube, so cutting down the light would only help. Thanks for the help.

OP
OP
Ippyroy

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, after thinking a bit on it. Your design is perfect. It allows me some leeway on the screen. It doesn't need to fit the glass snugly. And the hole around the tube can be a bit bigger so 2 1/2 inches would be perfect. Don't worry about where the screws are on the Plank, I will take my dremel to it with a sander if needed. What's the cost to print and send it? You can PM me your paypal info. Thanks again!

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Soren

I wasn't aware that you were Ninja with cad and 3d painting. I may be reaching out in the future!
It depends on what the object is and what else I have scheduled for my work breaks!
You can always let me know if you have requests, as I can often stay after work to do my own projects in SolidWorks if I do not have time in my breaks. My brother has the 3D printer, which is exceedingly handy!

Last edited:

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, after thinking a bit on it. Your design is perfect. It allows me some leeway on the screen. It doesn't need to fit the glass snugly. And the hole around the tube can be a bit bigger so 2 1/2 inches would be perfect. Don't worry about where the screws are on the Plank, I will take my dremel to it with a sander if needed. What's the cost to print and send it? You can PM me your paypal info. Thanks again!
Here are updated images on the design, though I can remove the ledge for the screen edge and leave it flat to allow for screen leeway. Just let me know what you prefer. I mocked up the Plank from the information on the website so you can see how it fits up on this corner shelf (white object on right, shelf in black).
1635368826456.png

I have some color options, but I almost always ask my brother to print my objects in black, so I know that color is readily available. Let me know if you would prefer a different color.

I don't know cost estimations right now, but I would guess about $5 on the print plus shipping. When the design is finalized, I will send you a PM to discuss cost, payment, and shipping.

Thanks,
Soren

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back