I need an explanation

f.christian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone please explain why some zoos or palys have rounded tips and some have pointed tips is there a difference in what it is? is one a zoa and the other a Paly? does it help to see which is has for identification purposes? (Picture is to show what im talking about) The first 2 pictures are long and pointy the 4th picture the pink one is rounded tips.
Zoanthid Live Coral Pack - JPS Zoas - Bulk Reef Supply

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m no expert. But I’d say it’s just different species. What we call “zoas” are many different species within the same family. Same with paly’s and even protopaly’s. This hobby doesn’t really focus on the scientific classifications as much as what coral farmers name different zoas. For the most part they’re all still zoas. But you might notice there’s one “morph” of zoas that grows better in high light high flow than another. I’m no marine biologist. But if I were a betting man I’d say it’s because we’re dealing with multiple zoa species. Kind of like how when we think montis we tend to view caps, digis, and others all as “montis” when In fact they all fall into the family of montipora but are actually different species within the family. Similar to the difference between Millie acros and torts

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Zoa and paly differ a little and light and water parameters also make a difference
Palys' tend to have a longer stem and also sometimes are just bigger overall. Also zoanthids do not have a long mouth as palys do.

slickreefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Zoa skirt can extend to look like a Paly and vice-versa. A Paly can contract to look like a zoa.

I’d like to point out that I frag often and noticed that this kind of depends on flow. Meaning long skirt tentacles under high flow and shorter in mid and so on “grow/extend” differently based on agitation and location placement affected by flow.

OP
OP
f.christian

f.christian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sweet thank you all very much for the info ive been trying to ID a couple if my zoas and the skirt has been throwing me off pretty hard. thanks again for the info

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 30.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back