I need help…

zedHead84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have lost three fish in the past two months. First two was a bicolor blennie and second was a purple filefish. The last one happened today and I was able to snap a couple of pics of him. It was a wheeler goby. When I looked at him I did not see any signs of aggression besides a chomp that happened as I pulled him out of the tank. The tank is a 32g Biocube and currently stocked with 2 mocha clowns, yellow banded possum wrasse and a starry blennie. All the fish I have had more than a year besides the starry blenny which I added two weeks ago. I just tested for ammonia which is at 0. My other parameters are:
NO3 30.9
PO4 .22
ALK 10
CAL 450
MAG 1380
PH 8.3
Sg1.025
Temp 77.7

Im just at a lost of what it could be. This last fish was eating fine and was feed this morning. Any ideas will help. Thanks.

IMG_4125.jpeg IMG_4123.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have lost three fish in the past two months. First two was a bicolor blennie and second was a purple filefish. The last one happened today and I was able to snap a couple of pics of him. It was a wheeler goby. When I looked at him I did not see any signs of aggression besides a chomp that happened as I pulled him out of the tank. The tank is a 32g Biocube and currently stocked with 2 mocha clowns, yellow banded possum wrasse and a starry blennie. All the fish I have had more than a year besides the starry blenny which I added two weeks ago. I just tested for ammonia which is at 0. My other parameters are:
NO3 30.9
PO4 .22
ALK 10
CAL 450
MAG 1380
PH 8.3
Sg1.025
Temp 77.7

Im just at a lost of what it could be. This last fish was eating fine and was feed this morning. Any ideas will help. Thanks.

IMG_4125.jpeg IMG_4123.jpeg
If there is harassment and aggression, I suspect the clowns. The Wheeler appears to be a little thin and im curious as to what it was being fed. I do see the nitrate is elevated but not dangerous for fish and Phosphate is VERY elevated (you want .04 -.08).
Are you by chance using Tap water from the faucet or RODI water ?
What test kits are you using?
Any signs of heavy breathing, loss of apetite, clamped fins, scratching, lethargic behavior?

OP
OP
zedHead84

zedHead84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been feeding rods food once a day and feeding corals Red Sea AB+ every other day. I just started dosing Tropic Marin ElmiNP to try to bring down the nitrate and phosphate. I also added a gfo reactor with GFO. I have been using a 4 stage Rodi for the freshwater. I think the chomp was from when a fish grabbed it after it was dead. I haven’t noticed any aggression in the tank.

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I’ve been feeding rods food once a day and feeding corals Red Sea AB+ every other day. I just started dosing Tropic Marin ElmiNP to try to bring down the nitrate and phosphate. I also added a gfo reactor with GFO. I have been using a 4 stage Rodi for the freshwater. I think the chomp was from when a fish grabbed it after it was dead. I haven’t noticed any aggression in the tank.

I would layoff the Red Sea AB+ and lay off the TM ElmiNP as well. If you have a GFO reactor, that will drop phosphates very nicely.

I also feed Rods food and it can raise Phosphates if you're overfeeding, which is very easy to do with that food.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The goby seems thin to me. Did you actually see the fish swallow food to the point where it was filling up its belly?

Jay

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 188 71.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 19 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 50 18.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.7%
Back