I need help choosing a stand design and color.

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm way overthinking this so I want to ask you all for opinions on stand for my new tank. I'm currently remodeling my office, where I previously had a different tank.

The tank is a deep blue/seapora 80 gallon shallow rimless (48x24x16).

Here's a picture of the floor that I put in:
1599922614026.png

The walls will be repainted with this color:
1599922847412.png

This is the tank (except i opted for the non-reef ready version and drilled it with a ghost overflow):
1599923100221.png

So my dilemma is what style stand? I know that I want to have this slightly taller than a standard stand due to the height of the tank. I'm thinking 40ish inches. I really like the waterbox style stand that is a bit more modern but I'm not sure how to build a stand like that where the doors are flush with the bottom of the tank.

For color, I was originally thinking about a dark stain on birch or poplar, but I've decided there's just too much going on with the pattern on the floor and maybe I'm better off with a solid color. I'm thinking black or dark gray but open to suggestions.

Reefer40b

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With that floor color, I'm think black would be a good choice. I like the dark steampunk/industrial look, May be able to look up other paint shades that fit that category, of course if you like that style.

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could always do a metal stand that’s powder coated and skin it out in whatever. This is what I opted to do on my new 210. Last stand was steel also. I went with a heavy gauge steel. 3x3 square tubing with 1/4 inch wall thickness. That way I could do without having multiple braces on the front side, and have open access to the sump/equipment area. The steel thickness is over engineered for what I’m doing, but needed it so there is absolutely no deflection. You could do much lighter gauge material. Using an engineering calculator I determined the steel size and thickness needed.
I also opted for leveling feet on the bottom. I’m using 9 leveling feet with a 3inch diameter pad per foot. Each foot is rated for 5,500lbs. The tank is going on new tile that isn’t perfectly level. It’s close, but not perfect! I used 9 feet to get my PSI right on the floor. The outside skin will be either acrylic panels or pvc board attached via Neodymium magnets. You could do wood or whatever you like. Makes accessing the sump area super easy. The skies the limit though when using a steel stand. You can change things up if you get tired of the look!!

Back