I NEED HELP DIPPING CORALS H202

PeterB113

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I want to dip some of the frags on my frag rack in hydrogen peroxide to get rid of some algea that's on them but I don't know how much to use. All the frags are zoas. Do I use only hydrogen peroxide or mix with tank water? If so how much or what ratio? For how long? Please let me know what you guys think

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I want to dip some of the frags on my frag rack in hydrogen peroxide to get rid of some algea that's on them but I don't know how much to use. All the frags are zoas. Do I use only hydrogen peroxide or mix with tank water? If so how much or what ratio? For how long? Please let me know what you guys think
ive read that you can use straight 3% peroxide without watering down. ive seen a youtube video of someone doing it, and it survived after like 2 or 3 minutes of the dip. i myself, i air on the side of cuation. i did it a month or so ago and did like a 70% water 30% peroxide mix and the zoa i dipped is thriving. i probably could have done more like a 50/50 or more, but i didnt want to push it because, after all, its stuff on the internet. i can confirm that a 70/30 mix didnt harm it and worked, but probably not as much as a higher mixture

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve done 50/50. They say to let the zoas close up if you can. Make sure you don’t get anything in your eyes etc. 1-2 mins. Would rather do that multiple times than over do it. Kinda depends on how much algae we’re talking about.

I’ve had some zoas really close up and suffer for a week or two but they’ve come back.

aSaltyKlown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use about half a cup to a cup of water and pour in the peroxide until is see bubbles start to form on the algae. Leave them in for about 5 min. Some start with a 4:1 ratio of water to perox. I've done 1:1 as well. I also tap the zoas to get them to close up as well. May take a day or so for them to open, but have had some open a few minutes after going back in the tank as well.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoas can handle (usually) a straight 3% peroxide dip for a couple minutes. I usually do a 50:50 mixture.

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been looking and or waiting for a thread like this, my zoa rock had algae growing on it and In between the zoas which I believe is stopping some of them growing. Will need to put in a 1.2L container would this mean I would need 720ml salt 480ml HP? For a 60/40 ratio.
20210902_165756.jpg

IanK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest getting the zoas to close completely. I lost half a small colony from what I believe was the h202 dip as that half did not close up when I did the dip

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest getting the zoas to close completely. I lost half a small colony from what I believe was the h202 dip as that half did not close up when I did the dip
What mixture did you use? 3% diluted in 1L is a very low % of Hydrogen peroxide.

atomos

52 32 52 20 52 6f 63 6b 73
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used 3% undiluted - enough to cover the zoa frag--for no more than 2 minutes. Zoa frag came out fine--stayed closed for a little bit but opened up again with a nice algae-free frag...

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used 3% undiluted - enough to cover the zoa frag--for no more than 2 minutes. Zoa frag came out fine--stayed closed for a little bit but opened up again with a nice algae-free frag...
Hair algae like my picture or just surface algae? Or its good for all types of algae

bblumberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See message #8 in this thread

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't dip h2o2 I put it full strength in a spray bottle and apply directly to the affected area. If it's just the frag plug or a rock you can remove from the tank it doesn't really get any easier than this. Then just rinse off in some tank water and back it goes. Plus the coral itself is only subjected to a small amount of overspray and not full submersion.

Dewman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try and avoid getting much on the coral. I use a q-tip to apply and then putting them in a small container of tank water until it stop bubbling and then put them back in the tank. I use the peroxide from Walgreens

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 92 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back