Fauna Marin Cili Dip plagiarises Justin Credabel's research

Muffin87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fauna Marin has come up with a new expensive coral dip called "cili dip".
If you look at this PDF, the concentrations suggested for different coral species are identical to those suggested by Justin Credabel for Hydrogen peroxide.
You can find his research summarised here.

Frankly, this looks like plagiarism.
The Hydrogen peroxide dip has been formulated with the same exact dip:water ratios by Justin Credabel.
They even have the guts not to disclose that the "oxidising agent" in the ingredient list is plain Hydrogen peroxide, as if the oxidising agent and the concentrations were their trade secrets.

Curious what @Randy Holmes-Farley thinks about this.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There may be less nefarious reasons than you suggested, and yes you could be totally correct about Justin Credable (J.C.) being the source investigator and publisher of the tables for an H2O2 dip that provided the basis for the new product, especially since the dosages/critter are reportedly identical.

My first thought question; Could Justin be a silent partner in this venture? I don't know, I hope the company and all partners make a fair profit, as that is the ultimate motive for their efforts.

I understand that plagiarism is defined as the failure to site the original author source when that work was used to produce another publication by a different author. (Interestingly, this isn't illegal in the United States, according to the internet, but presumably it may be illegal in other countries? I may have learned something new here, today?)

Borrowing someones published results to replicate a product could be a patent violation if the product, in this case, H2O was patented by J.C. but I would venture to say that our J.C. was not issued a patent for H2O.

The manufacturer of this elixir may have even asked J.C. if they could quote / site his work and he declined the citation or asked not to be quoted on the bottle?

I didn't read the research to verify the allegation but I do not doubt that these kinds of things happen all the time in business decisions to create or promote a "NEW" product that was developed and investigated with research done by someone else, without compensation being made to the original, unnamed researcher. These things happen, people seem to often find it hard if not impossible to treat their neighbors with the honor and proper respect that promotes a blessed civil society. We all know better but our actual performance is often weak or dilute, perhaps like a solution of H2O2 we function at low concentrations with acceptable results?

In a way, it is nice that they have mixed up the formula so that reefing people can grab a bottle off the shelf and either cure their corals or just brush their teeth with it if they need to? ;) :cool:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 26 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 7.1%
Back