peroxide dipping guidelines

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey can you take detailed pics of the steps it'd be fun to make a new thread on dentistry/surgery on reef teeth

vs whole tanks, just rock or coral portions.

even a wet q tip or small child's paint brush can be used to creatively and spot apply the 3% to the skeletal zones, final rinse in saltwater after about 1 mins exposure in air/burn.

prediction: they look like a set of teeth that just got back from the dentist by Friday.

if it was an invasive sponge wrapped around a caulastrea we'd detail rasp 100% of the growth off with a real scalpel ideally. like a tiny model, working in close zones etc until the skeleton is 100% bare of invasion but secretly its still embedded in the structure sure to grow back.

burn that part w peroxide, the anchors, works much better. the main mass is already gone.

if the septa on that coral are tinged green from bright light reflecting/paintbrush a little 3% on there it'll white by friday

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After so much fight.. my meat coral died a few days ago... all left is just the skeleton.
20210304_152345.jpg

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey if that was my frag I'd be doing this

outside the tank only and never as a dip on the nontarget flesh, I'd have q tips wet with 35% (handle carefully, a human blinding agent among the worst easily accessible) as dabs on the skeletal parts that are exposed. none on the bordering tissue set to grow back and overtake the barren areas as a slightly raised up flesh portion that will lay new skeleton down (very very slowly) on top of the other areas as tissue expands from new feeding and health and directed removal of competing algae.

if you cant get 35% use 3% but you'll have to repeat it more often. that dangerous 35% is rocket fuel clean burn, and if some does contact the edges corals are strangely rather strong against it, you wouldnt think they would be. I have video of me putting several mls 35% into a running pico reef/1 gallon so this q-tip only on the target skeleton above / surgery vs dip/ is ideal for that frag/encroachment challenge.

bluerider098

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey if that was my frag I'd be doing this

outside the tank only and never as a dip on the nontarget flesh, I'd have q tips wet with 35% (handle carefully, a human blinding agent among the worst easily accessible) as dabs on the skeletal parts that are exposed. none on the bordering tissue set to grow back and overtake the barren areas as a slightly raised up flesh portion that will lay new skeleton down (very very slowly) on top of the other areas as tissue expands from new feeding and health and directed removal of competing algae.

if you cant get 35% use 3% but you'll have to repeat it more often. that dangerous 35% is rocket fuel clean burn, and if some does contact the edges corals are strangely rather strong against it, you wouldnt think they would be. I have video of me putting several mls 35% into a running pico reef/1 gallon so this q-tip only on the target skeleton above / surgery vs dip/ is ideal for that frag/encroachment challenge.
Unfortunately this guy didn't make it. It developed BJD so I chucked it. . Not really sure what went wrong as your can see in the picture the one right next to it is fine. ‍♂️

I hate it when there is no explanation, it just slowly went downhill.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed on the expulsion when dealing with someone that potentially contagious

I unfortunately tossed a ten year old acan frag because it had a sponge intertwined in its polyps so badly the acan polyps had to stretch up to get light and they looked like zoanthids not joking. I’d detail scrape the frag clean with a knife, q tip +35% all the former attachment areas between the polyps, and the white terror would just come back. Tossed because I can’t let that get on my rocks i have no idea how it stayed local for so long. Risk ended

bluerider098

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed on the expulsion when dealing with someone that potentially contagious

I unfortunately tossed a ten year old acan frag because it had a sponge intertwined in its polyps so badly the acan polyps had to stretch up to get light and they looked like zoanthids not joking. I’d detail scrape the frag clean with a knife, q tip +35% all the former attachment areas between the polyps, and the white terror would just come back. Tossed because I can’t let that get on my rocks i have no idea how it stayed local for so long. Risk ended
I have some of that white sponge on the bottom of 2 other Alveopora that I have. The way the skeleton is it's almost impossible to get rid of. It's not bothering them right now so I just peel it off every few months while sucking the sponge up with a tube. Supposedly it's harmless but I am watching it closely. Odd part is that I Qt'd them both for 8 weeks and it didn't show up until it was in my display.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine never did leave off the acan frag but I tossed it all out of sheer paranoia

the rule goes: when approaching second decade reef tank take even fewer chances than we took in the first one

NoobishReefer22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copying here just so it doesn't get lost again.

Justin Credabel's hydrogen peroxide dipping guidelines

Tolerance
Dip 5 minutes Milliliters of Hydrogen Peroxide 3% to Liters of Seawater Type of Cnidarian

Low 20-40ml
Acropora (tolerance varies widely among species), Montipora, Astreopora, Duncanopsammia, Turbinaria, Galaxia, Cyhpastrea, (*Alveopora)(**Hydnophora) Echinophyllia, Mycedium, Oxypora, Tubastrea,

Low/Med 50-70ml
Pocillopora, Seriatopora, Stylophora, Caulastrea, Clavularia, Pachyclavularia, Sympodium, Cespitularia, Yellow Leathers, Pachyceris, Echinpora, Leptoseris, Pectinia, Psammacora

Medium 80-120ml
Porites, Xenia, Brown Leathers, Pavona, Fungiids, Heliofungia,

Med/High 130-200ml
Goniopora, Favia, Favites, Goniastrea, Platygyra, Leptastrea, Blastomussa, Cynarina, Physogyra, Plerogyra, Symphyllia, Sinularia, Corallimorpharian (Mushroom Anemone)

High 210-350ml
Zoanthids, Palythoa, Scolymia, Acansthstrea, Micromussa, Lobophyllia, Euphyllia, Catalaphyllia, Trachyphyllia,

Coral can be dipped longer in a lower concentrate solution. ? concentrate for up to 20 minutes for deep, persistent algae or bacterial infections, or necrotic areas.

Quick question,

as I am a little confused as I am reading this chart. Are we just dipping this in pure hydrogen peroxide 3% or do we mix each of these scenarios with 1 litre of saltwater?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.3%
Back