peroxide dipping guidelines

Joe Rice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to reference a table created by Justin Credible that specified the amount of time you could dip a coral in a particular hydrogen peroxide solution organized by the various genera of coral. Unfortunately the link to that chart no longer works. Does anyone have a copy that they could post?

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Update: @Jase4224 found it!

Copying here just so it doesn't get lost again.

Justin Credabel's hydrogen peroxide dipping guidelines

Tolerance
Dip 5 minutes Milliliters of Hydrogen Peroxide 3% to Liters of Seawater Type of Cnidarian

Low 20-40ml
Acropora (tolerance varies widely among species), Montipora, Astreopora, Duncanopsammia, Turbinaria, Galaxia, Cyhpastrea, (*Alveopora)(**Hydnophora) Echinophyllia, Mycedium, Oxypora, Tubastrea,

Low/Med 50-70ml
Pocillopora, Seriatopora, Stylophora, Caulastrea, Clavularia, Pachyclavularia, Sympodium, Cespitularia, Yellow Leathers, Pachyceris, Echinpora, Leptoseris, Pectinia, Psammacora

Medium 80-120ml
Porites, Xenia, Brown Leathers, Pavona, Fungiids, Heliofungia,

Med/High 130-200ml
Goniopora, Favia, Favites, Goniastrea, Platygyra, Leptastrea, Blastomussa, Cynarina, Physogyra, Plerogyra, Symphyllia, Sinularia, Corallimorpharian (Mushroom Anemone)

High 210-350ml
Zoanthids, Palythoa, Scolymia, Acansthstrea, Micromussa, Lobophyllia, Euphyllia, Catalaphyllia, Trachyphyllia,

Coral can be dipped longer in a lower concentrate solution. ? concentrate for up to 20 minutes for deep, persistent algae or bacterial infections, or necrotic areas.

Last edited:

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lets go off the standard peroxide threads where people dosed their whole tanks by comparison. what kind of coral are you dipping and even more important, what is the dip designed to target if the coral looks normal and isn't abutted with algae

preventative dips using peroxide is kinda rare but treating for algae issues with it is not rare.

* i believe I recall the chart you mentioned and it was from a macna talk Justin gave a while back Im almost positive. searching.

OP
OP
Joe Rice

Joe Rice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use it for treating algae on the coral. Times were generally about 5 minutes in Justin's table and the concentrations were orders of magnitude higher than what they would be if you just dosed an entire tank. The real value for me was that he listed the concentrations for various genera as there apparently is a wide range of tolerance.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey I think i found it. **example to our brethren at reefcentral, when cross linking is allowed and enjoyed, information grows exponentially for both sites. I think the video reference you want is at the bottom of the post

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok i see, ill still check around it was good and i remember it from years ago. I got to meet JC at aquashella Dallas and i fanboyed him lol. for a selfie.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here you go, few posts down :)

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe this is a dumb question, and if it is sorry guys. I am trying to understand the table.

So do it mean that if I was looking to dip Zoa's, that I could dip it in 210-350ml of 3% peroxide mixed with 1 liter of seawater for 5 mins?

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe this is a dumb question, and if it is sorry guys. I am trying to understand the table.

So do it mean that if I was looking to dip Zoa's, that I could dip it in 210-350ml of 3% peroxide mixed with 1 liter of seawater for 5 mins?
Correct

Not a dumb question it always pays to ask first

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a cataphylia coral that has a coral boring sponge that has broken some of the skeleton. I’m going to scrape it off and do a hydrogen peroxide dip to hopefully get rid of the sponge.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basic rule for peroxide dips: dont dip. A hundred pages of work, we didn’t dip above nor did we add to the tank water that I can recall

its surgical because that allows for consistent results for pages

coral flesh isn’t usually an offender so why dip it

zoanthids are known to have inclusions in tissue which can include rocks, sand, algae etc and zos are tough so a dip doesn’t usually harm

but sps? Algae grows on bare portions. Not on the flesh, targeting is better sps care than dipping

like how a dentist handles a bad tooth but doesn’t attack your gums

use precision knife to surgically debride algae off attach points of sps, it’s already killed flesh in the area your scalpel scrape isn’t killing flesh

you drive back a little white patch of skeleton... formerly green, which in reality is now a highly reflective dot among sps flesh, uncolonized, algae begins taking it again if left alone (rule of the reef, algae doesn’t mean you have bad params 1998 called)

But we q tip peroxide on the spot to keep algae gone, as weekly gardening

and the surrounding sps creeps over and covers it! Thats the right way, a dentist model. Then you’re done working the spot.

same for lps, skeleton gets the anchors not the flesh, lps flesh is bio excluding to space competitors. Don’t do dips be exacting.
be a reef dentist not a broadcast application

Last edited:

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basic rule for peroxide dips: dont dip. A hundred pages of work, we didn’t dip above nor did we add to the tank water that I can recall

zoanthids are known to have inclusions in tissue which can include rocks, sand, algae etc and zos are tough so a dip doesn’t usually harm

but sps? Algae grows on bare portions. Not on the flesh, targeting is better sps care than dipping

same for lps, skeleton gets the anchors not the flesh, it’s bio excluding to space competitors. Don’t do dips be exacting

The reason I was looking into it was that I bought a Zoa that came in with hair algae on it. I do not have hair algae in my tank anywhere else. And the hair algae was not spreading. But it sure seems to make the Zoa angry. Some of the heads partially open and some not at all. And it's been a few weeks.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was mine I’d still target it. Set zo on counter and tweezer pick all the algae off, use q tip apply peroxide 3% only to the algae anchor spots. The crowns of the polyp won’t have the algae it’ll still be at the base

zos are listed as the toughest most peroxide resistant corals it likely won’t matter if you dipped them for half a day.

we have seen lost zoanthids before with peroxide but it’s rare, and they weren’t exactly healthy before the peroxide application (lost hydrodynamic profile, lanky, or constantly closed even before application)

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was mine I’d still target it. Set zo on counter and tweezer pick all the algae off, use q tip apply peroxide 3% only to the algae anchor spots. The crowns of the polyp won’t have the algae it’ll still be at the base

zos are listed as the toughest most peroxide resistant corals it likely won’t matter if you dipped them for half a day.

we have seen lost zoanthids before with peroxide but it’s rare, and they weren’t exactly healthy before the peroxide application (lost hydrodynamic profile, lanky, or constantly closed even before application)

O.K. Thanks, I'll give that a try

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

same for lps, skeleton gets the anchors not the flesh, it’s bio excluding to space competitors. Don’t do dips be exacting
This is gonna be difficult because there are pieces of sponge on the skeletal parts that have come loose, and these are attached to flesh. The coral is healthy but from what I have read it will eventually kill the coral if not treated. Cataphylia are also listed in the most resistant to HP group but I’ll still try not to submerge the entire coral. Might get some pics and post the before and after results here.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sponges are weird and fascinating. For about 7 yrs sponges have encased this acan/lobo frag and if I don’t dentally treat it the whole frag will be overtaken. It comes back always, even after direct peroxide. Keeping this frag in my tank is likely dumb given the veracity of the sponge strain if it went to my rocks it could wipe my reef, I may remove it over that in fact.
EAB86D2E-9D0E-413E-BB75-F89B0F37BBAC.jpeg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 36 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.1%
Back