Fish Quarantine Strategy - My plan after a lot of research

enricocoron

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so I did QT my fish in my first go around, but observation only. I lost a Royal gramma and a Tomini tang before I could intervene to do anything (I believe it was flukes). Now I have lost a few fish in my DT due to a very aggressive and fat mated female clownfish, who was removed successfully this morning in her sleepy state (can't believe how easy I got her).

I am determined to do Quarantine right this time around, so I did a lot of research online, read a lot of threads, looked at Humblefish's plethora of info, and watched the BRS 80/20 series with Marine Collectors. I have determined that the 'right' strategy has to be one that I can stick to and do with equipment I have and can afford to buy. Can experts please advise any obvious mistakes in my approach? I plan to treat this time around before I see anything wrong. As was said on the 80/20 series, healthy fish will survive QT, unhealthy ones will not and likely would die anyways.

The tank I plan to use: 20 gallon standard with glass lid/netting on back, heater, powerhead, airstone, HOB filter. No sand and no LR. PVC pieces of various shapes on bottom. I plan to do a cycled method as I probably won't stick to water change schedule otherwise.

The fish I plan to add: Purple Firefish, Corris Wrasse, Tomini Tang, Flasher Wrasse, ORA Orchid dotty back. I was hoping to add in 2 rounds of QT with the wrasses first, but wondering if the firefish can go in last with the dotty back or will it be bullied. Current fish in DT are now just a blenny, a male clown, and a watchman goby.

1) Use Instant Ocean purple bag to mix up fresh saltwater to 1.020 (my source for fish uses this) at 78 degrees. Add bottle of Dr. Tims one and only. Place sponge and Seachem matrix into HOB. Add piece of shrimp to tank as ammonia source.
2) Once cycled, get the two wrasses acclimated to tank water, then using tank water give them two baths, first a Hydrogen Peroxide bath, followed by a Nitrofuracin green bath. Rinse them in saltwater and then add to tank.
3) Over a period of 48 hours bring up tank to 1.025, then over 4-5 days, start copper power at .75 ppm and bring to 2.0 target for wrasses. I plan to use Nitrofuracin during copper treatment as well to prevent gill infections. I invested in the Hannah checker for accuracy on copper ppm. Hold wrasses for minimum 14 days at 2.0 ppm Copper. I do not have an observation tank so they will need to go straight to DT. May perform freshwater dip in between as one last fluke check. Since they cannot undergro Prazipro treatment no need to sterilize tank.
4) Replace 50% of water so now at 1ppm Copper at 1.020.
5) Obtain Tomini tang, dottyback, and firefish. Repeat peroxide and Nitrofuracin bath after acclimation and over 48 hours bring to 1.025 AND 2.0-2.5 ppm copper. Keep minimum 14 days at 2-2.5 ppm Copper.
6) Siphon water into plastic bin with powerhead running and transfer fish to that. Completely wipe down all surfaces of tank with bleach and rinse thoroughly. Discard biological media and sponge from HOB. Replace with Bioballs sitting in DT sump for 2 months. Change airstone out. Fill with new saltwater and put fish back in.
7) Treat with Prazipro for 9 days?
8) Acclimate fish to DT and transfer.

Does this seem like a sound plan? It seems a bit harsh to take fish right from a bag after shipping overnight and give them a peroxide bath, then a Nitro bath. Should I put them in the tank 24 hours, then do the first bath, then 24 hours, then do the second bath? Or does that risk flukes or parasites getting into QT?
Should I add the firefish to the wrasse batch even though will be lower copper and no Prazi? Seems like it would have a better chance of establishing in DT than if added with wrasses already in there, also dottyback may not like it in 20 gallon QT even if dottyback is ORA?

Anyways, this is about the most I can afford/commit to but any suggestions on how to make this better/safer/more successful are of course most welcome.

Jason_MrFrags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I usually float the bags to warm them up and then into bath they go. Prazi is reef safeish so you could just dose display.

OP
OP
E

enricocoron

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jason, so float the bags to acclimate to bath temp, then into the bath they go. Do you usually do them back to back, peroxide and then nitrofuran? Do you rinse in between?

The wrasses can't tolerate the Prazi though right?

OP
OP
E

enricocoron

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I'm reading a lot of people say that wrasses can tolerate Prazi fine, as long as you don't overdose and use plenty of aeration. Confusing as there seems to be a lot of conflicting information. It does sound like Copper and Prazi at the same time is a bad idea though, that it should just be one at a time.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back