I need help understanding alkalinity

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it is possible that your salt bucket needs to be mixed. i have had a bucket of IO reef crystals test low with Alk. IO says to mix the salt bucket as things may settle. ultimately, the outcome was still the same. a newly mixed batch tested at like 7dkh in comparison to the new bucket i just opened which tested at like 12.8 or something close. IO ended up sending me a replacement bucket for the batch that was measuring low. i would do an alk test on a freshly mixed bucket of water to see what it comes back with. it might be the reason why its low to begin with?

OP
OP
Stephen8169301

Stephen8169301

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
it is possible that your salt bucket needs to be mixed. i have had a bucket of IO reef crystals test low with Alk. IO says to mix the salt bucket as things may settle. ultimately, the outcome was still the same. a newly mixed batch tested at like 7dkh in comparison to the new bucket i just opened which tested at like 12.8 or something close. IO ended up sending me a replacement bucket for the batch that was measuring low. i would do an alk test on a freshly mixed bucket of water to see what it comes back with. it might be the reason why its low to begin with?
I’ll know for sure when I get this salt mixed up in an hr to see

@Saltyreef I retested if I just make 1 drop the titration it came out to 5.5 6 dkh so we will see when I get this new bucket going

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll know for sure when I get this salt mixed up in an hr to see

@Saltyreef I retested if I just make 1 drop the titration it came out to 5.5 6 dkh so we will see when I get this new bucket going
Looking forward to the results!

Are you using the multi test kit or the alk pro?

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Saltyreef @Randy Holmes-Farley

so my results with the basic hydrometer at 1.026

calcium api test: 560

mag Red Sea : around 1600

Red Sea alk: 8.5 dkh

api alk: 10dkh
Ok looks good. As far as the discrepancy between the two alkalinity tests, do you invert/mix your titrant bottles before drawing the solution into a dropper?

Did you test multiple times with both kits as there is a discrepancy present?

As far as the hydrometer goes, if its a basic swing arm hydrometer, it may be accurate, it may not.

This is the hydrometer i recommend and should be the basis tool for all reefkeepers.

The biggest issue ive ran into over the years is inconsistant salinity readings from a number of devices....even after calibrating.

I used mine to make the correct 1.026 mark on my plastic swing arm hydrometer so i never break it and I've only used it that one time.

OP
OP
Stephen8169301

Stephen8169301

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
Ok looks good. As far as the discrepancy between the two alkalinity tests, do you invert/mix your titrant bottles before drawing the solution into a dropper?

Did you test multiple times with both kits as there is a discrepancy present?

As far as the hydrometer goes, if its a basic swing arm hydrometer, it may be accurate, it may not.

This is the hydrometer i recommend and should be the basis tool for all reefkeepers.

The biggest issue ive ran into over the years is inconsistant salinity readings from a number of devices....even after calibrating.

I used mine to make the correct 1.026 mark on my plastic swing arm hydrometer so i never break it and I've only used it that one time.
So after doing these test it kinda makes me wonder if my hydrometer is reading correctly because the bag says at 1.026 my readings for calcium could be 445 and magnesium should be 1355

so I’m taking my tank water and mixed fresh to lfs to get that all checked and compare

Tathamet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had issues with both the multi test kit alk and alk pro test from Red Sea going super wonky many months before the expiry date. I made a standard solution with their alkalinity foundation bottle and compared. 1 was reading 2 dkh too low and the other was about 1.5dkh too high from what the standard should have been).

Ive since switched to Salifert and haven’t had a problem since. I find the colour shift on the salifert test is much easier to see as well.

I thought about getting the Hanna checker for alk but I’ve heard their tests go wonky too if you don’t refrigerate the regents. salifert is just so fast and easy as it is so I stuck with it. It’s one of the cheaper ones too which is a bonus.

OP
OP
Stephen8169301

Stephen8169301

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
I’ve had issues with both the multi test kit alk and alk pro test from Red Sea going super wonky many months before the expiry date. I made a standard solution with their alkalinity foundation bottle and compared. 1 was reading 2 dkh too low and the other was about 1.5dkh too high from what the standard should have been).

Ive since switched to Salifert and haven’t had a problem since. I find the colour shift on the salifert test is much easier to see as well.

I thought about getting the Hanna checker for alk but I’ve heard their tests go wonky too if you don’t refrigerate the regents. salifert is just so fast and easy as it is so I stuck with it. It’s one of the cheaper ones too which is a bonus.
Very interesting when I go to the store tomorrow I’ll see if I can pick one up and try that also

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after doing these test it kinda makes me wonder if my hydrometer is reading correctly because the bag says at 1.026 my readings for calcium could be 445 and magnesium should be 1355

so I’m taking my tank water and mixed fresh to lfs to get that all checked and compare
That floating glass hydrometer i linked is worth its weight in gold :cool:

And its freakin heavy :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Tathamet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That floating glass hydrometer i linked is worth its weight in gold :cool:

And its freakin heavy :face-with-tears-of-joy:
Yep, It really is a great tool to have. just gotta make sure to buy a beaker for it too.

only problem I have with it is I’m too scared I’m going to snap the stem off every time I touch it haha.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Very interesting when I go to the store tomorrow I’ll see if I can pick one up and try that also
While going to the store, take a water sample with you and have them test it and see what dkh reading they come up with to offer a clue if your kit was indeed off with results.

OP
OP
Stephen8169301

Stephen8169301

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
While going to the store, take a water sample with you and have them test it and see what dkh reading they come up with to offer a clue if your kit was indeed off with results.
Yeah I’m hoping they will test that also

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, It really is a great tool to have. just gotta make sure to buy a beaker for it too.

only problem I have with it is I’m too scared I’m going to snap the stem off every time I touch it haha.
Agreed. Its a beast and very delicate at the same time. When i first got it, I just floated it once in my 5g bucket after mixing.
After that, grabbed my $10 coralife swing arm hydrometer, took a reading and sharpied a new 1.026 mark on it.

Never have touched the glass one since.

OP
OP
Stephen8169301

Stephen8169301

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
The results with electronic test

Attachments

• A21C4122-F608-4DD1-9832-3A3FAD703921.jpeg
    A21C4122-F608-4DD1-9832-3A3FAD703921.jpeg
    152.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 623FE68E-2D6E-4C25-8EDB-8CADF0F337A4.jpeg
    623FE68E-2D6E-4C25-8EDB-8CADF0F337A4.jpeg
    155.2 KB · Views: 19

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The results with electronic test
Which electronic test, I’m curious?! Looks like your alk is good at least!
I prefer Salifert as others have mentioned. Great for Alkalinity tests!!

The Hanna reagents can go bad and are sometimes unreliable. I’ve heard that if you keep them in the fridge, the reagent last a bit longer and doesn’t give you as false of a reading.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back