I need some automated water testers

William Chiavetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wondering what digitalized testers I should get. I know there's like api aquaspin but i'm not looking to sell my car, and i've heard hana checkers aren't super accurate

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, having owned several different testers over the years, is that none are foolproof but most will give you enough info to maintain stability which is more important than the actual numbers. If you go with one of the more sophisticated testers suggest you also calculate the cost of reagents etc.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna isn't accurate if you are careless or don't pay attention to the directions when performing it. There aren't any good alternatives for digital tests imo. I am not a fan of the aquaspin.

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wondering what digitalized testers I should get. I know there's like api aquaspin but i'm not looking to sell my car, and i've heard hana checkers aren't super accurate
I would disagree about the Hanna checkers. Of course a lot of reefers don’t get an accurate Calcium reading. RHF has some suggestions there. What are you looking to test?

bubbgee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neptune Trident but it costs too much and still far from perfect, I use it only for trending so I know I'm within parameters and not out of whack. I dont chase numbers anymore.

OP
OP
William Chiavetta

William Chiavetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would disagree about the Hanna checkers. Of course a lot of reefers don’t get an accurate Calcium reading. RHF has some suggestions there. What are you looking to test?
Po4, No2, No3, Nh4, Ph, Ca and salinity. Im just tired of drops

OP
OP
William Chiavetta

William Chiavetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d stick with phosphate, do kH instead of pH. Get a refractometer for salinity. Nyos has a good nitrate test. Hannah for PO4 is reliable. Be sure to use the ULR version. BRS frequently reviews these.
Thank you!

Project

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI,

Recently found out that Hanna has “standard solutions” that you can test against your own solution. I have ones for 4 major including the calcium. My calcium tester is within the range as well.

I been using Hanna for last two year and it has been very accurate within given range.

IMG_8244.jpeg

OP
OP
William Chiavetta

William Chiavetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI,

Recently found out that Hanna has “standard solutions” that you can test against your own solution. I have ones for 4 major including the calcium. My calcium tester is within the range as well.

I been using Hanna for last two year and it has been very accurate within given range.

IMG_8244.jpeg
Have you found that calcium is accurate? Ive heard some bad things about it

OP
OP
William Chiavetta

William Chiavetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d stick with phosphate, do kH instead of pH. Get a refractometer for salinity. Nyos has a good nitrate test. Hannah for PO4 is reliable. Be sure to use the ULR version. BRS frequently reviews these.
a little late response but im wondering, What should I use for calcium and is there a good digital nitrate test?

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a little late response but im wondering, What should I use for calcium and is there a good digital nitrate test?
I use red sea test kits for calcium but Hanna is a good alternative (from what I have seen)

OP
OP
William Chiavetta

William Chiavetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
William Chiavetta

William Chiavetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use Hanna nitrate HR, but use salifert for calcium. I’ve been reefing a long time and I test alkalinity daily (via alkatronic, but once or twice a week with Hanna was good too for many years). I test nitrates, calcium, and phosphates once a month on my very mature reef tank. No need for ammonium or nitrites on a cycled tank either.

S.SReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't had any difficulties with my Hannas. However they do take a long time and clean it properly.
I hope you find your awnser.

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
high range nitrate?
Yes, it’s the only one I believe. I am using it to check my dosing of Ammonia. It is always low (1-3ppm) and I understand corals might do better with nitrate levels around 10-20.
The Hannah Calcium test is a bit more complicated than others like kH. But from what I understand, Calcium needs to be present, not over abundant and exact parameters aren’t as important as salinity and kH.

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back