I need your help!!!

alexshefchik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently set up a Marineland 60 gallon cube tank and am having issues.

Everytime I turn the pump on (which is a Mag 3), the overflow cannot keep up with the pump. It does the gurrgling noise and has to catch up to itself every few seconds. The overflow is stock and I can get it to work when I turn the pump way down but I want more flow and think the overflow should be able to handle it.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Sam (Alex's girlfriend)

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity what type of overflow is it? and how is it drilled??? Is there a ball valve on it anywhere and what size lines do you have for the drain?

OP
OP
alexshefchik

alexshefchik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is just the stock overflow. Here are some pictures of it. Also, the tubing of the overflow is an inch. It is drilled as you can see in the picture. There is no ball valve on the overflow but there is on the return pump.
DSC_0755.jpg

DSC_0754.jpg

Magical Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank and had the same issue. I had to put a ball valve on it to slow down the flow. I even tried to gradually increase the flow, but it starts to gurgle at a certain point. I just gave up since I had 2 hydor koralia's that I put in to make sure I didn't have any dead spots

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

OP
OP
alexshefchik

alexshefchik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I actually did the same thing for her. She has two koralias in there. I just would think that they would have made these to handle more flow!

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the problem is the overflow cover. Cut the teeth out and replace them with eggcrate, it will work great. I get around 750 gph in my 90 gallon with a 1" drain no problem.

kershak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the problem is the overflow cover. Cut the teeth out and replace them with eggcrate, it will work great. I get around 750 gph in my 90 gallon with a 1" drain no problem.

+1 you can try to cut a 1"pvc tubing for 3 to 4" of high and conect in to the tubing of the overflow that make the water goes up (you will see 4" of water inside the overflow) allways but its going to stop the noice and the amount of water drain even we call xifon sistem the water goes down make 4" water marck and drain to the sump.or eliminate the return and use bove tubing for drain and use a nozel in the other side of the cube for the return pump.there you have 2"overflow

Last edited:

LVREEFER

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you still have the same drain piping as in the 5th pic? try drilling a larger hole in the top of that cap. It sounds like its creating a siphon and that gurgling is the siphon breaking.

OP
OP
alexshefchik

alexshefchik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions! I will have to try some of these ideas and may PM you individually for extra help. I was just lost and didn't know what to try or where to start, so THANK YOU!!

-SAM (Alex's gf)

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 98 80.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.9%
Back