I only want a microscope for Christmassssss

HeyLookItsCaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am the type of guy that has “everything” in the house somewhere, so Christmas is typically hard for family to buy me gifts.

one thing I do NOT have and popped into my head the other day is a MICROSCOPE! I loved highschool and college time spending hours behind the glass, and I am sure I can find some enjoyment in reefing with one, or heck maybe even identify something good/bad if I’m lucky.

I’ve been reading all day about microscopes and learning the modern versions of what I used 20 years ago.

I am also the kind of guy who learned the hard lesson of you get what you pay for too many times.is a decent microscope in the “big gift” category for Christmas? I don’t want a kids toy, don’t need a laboratory level, but something nice in the middle.

Anyone have any thoughts/recommendations for a late season science student wanting to look at small stuff?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got one on my list also!

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out the YouTube channel Microbehunter. That’s just about everything you might want to know about types, brands, features, etc. I really wanted one for a while but in the end I know it’s something I would use a few times for a few things but ultimately it would collect dust and probably not actually add anything to my tank. Amscope is a popular brand on here but per microbehunter they’re just a rebranded Chinese make that goes by many names and can be purchased directly from China for cheaper in some cases such as on alibaba.

If I were to get one though I’d definitely go with a stereo microscope over a compound. With a compound microscope you’re really limited to thin small samples that allow light transmission, and honestly it might be nice to identify a specific pest, but looking at microscopic bugs at the cellular level is just not that interesting.

Stereo microscopes provide a 3D image that can be surface or transmission lit depending on the model. Magnification is more limited, but it’s actually really fun to look at larger than cellular sized things at much higher magnification than you otherwise could. A good common use case would be inspecting corals for pests or for fish autopsies. I would argue the magnification is adequate for most use cases in a reef aquarium and it could be a fun hobby looking at or photographing all kinds of things in the world around us. Watching dinoflagellates swim around just doesn’t do it for me. But looking at the intricate details of a bee or butterfly is fascinating. And it could be helpful for some soldering or fine work projects too. Also it would be much more interesting in bringing objects to life for kids or grandkids too. At least that’s how I’d justify it if I did get one; multi-use beyond the tank.

OP
OP
HeyLookItsCaps

HeyLookItsCaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out the YouTube channel Microbehunter. That’s just about everything you might want to know about types, brands, features, etc. I really wanted one for a while but in the end I know it’s something I would use a few times for a few things but ultimately it would collect dust and probably not actually add anything to my tank. Amscope is a popular brand on here but per microbehunter they’re just a rebranded Chinese make that goes by many names and can be purchased directly from China for cheaper in some cases such as on alibaba.

If I were to get one though I’d definitely go with a stereo microscope over a compound. With a compound microscope you’re really limited to thin small samples that allow light transmission, and honestly it might be nice to identify a specific pest, but looking at microscopic bugs at the cellular level is just not that interesting.

Stereo microscopes provide a 3D image that can be surface or transmission lit depending on the model. Magnification is more limited, but it’s actually really fun to look at larger than cellular sized things at much higher magnification than you otherwise could. A good common use case would be inspecting corals for pests or for fish autopsies. I would argue the magnification is adequate for most use cases in a reef aquarium and it could be a fun hobby looking at or photographing all kinds of things in the world around us. Watching dinoflagellates swim around just doesn’t do it for me. But looking at the intricate details of a bee or butterfly is fascinating. And it could be helpful for some soldering or fine work projects too. Also it would be much more interesting in bringing objects to life for kids or grandkids too. At least that’s how I’d justify it if I did get one; multi-use beyond the tank.
Thank you for writing this out, definitely opens new avenues, a life size copepod does sound neat!

Jay'sReefBugs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Microscopes are so nice to have especially if your a nerd about it like me . So much unseen activity by the naked eye .

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back