I really have NO idea what I'm doing?!

Angeleyes reefraf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a few noob questions as I am sooo new to this and after reading quite a bit on here I have realized That I know less than nothing. lol I have definitely went to fast and want to stabilize before going any further.
1. Do I need to actually decide what "kind" of reef tank I am going to be aiming toward? Different coral require diff specs right?
2. I have 3 mushrooms. zoa's and a kenya tree right now. What should my tank specs be?
3. How often should I check my specs? What's the most reliable method or kit for checking?
To see what i am running please check my build post. Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the hobby!

1. Mixed reef tanks are more difficult to maintain because the parameters for one type of coral isn't always the best for another type...ie: LPS, Softies, vs SPS. Pick one type and it will be easier to start out.
2. Those are all softies/LPS which like slightly higher nutrients usually...No3 around 10 and PO4 around .05-.1 should be good for them.
3. Good to check parameters weekly. Everyone has different preferences for test kits...generally most stay away from API for accuracy. I use Hanna ULR range phosporous checker for Po4; Red Sea kits for Alk, Ca, Mg; Salifert for No3. I think the trick is to just being consistent...comparing results of No3 between two different brands of tests will give different numbers and therefore confuse you. Just stick with one test and go with it.

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the hobby!

1. Mixed reef tanks are more difficult to maintain because the parameters for one type of coral isn't always the best for another type...ie: LPS, Softies, vs SPS. Pick one type and it will be easier to start out.
2. Those are all softies/LPS which like slightly higher nutrients usually...No3 around 10 and PO4 around .05-.1 should be good for them.
3. Good to check parameters weekly. Everyone has different preferences for test kits...generally most stay away from API for accuracy. I use Hanna ULR range phosporous checker for Po4; Red Sea kits for Alk, Ca, Mg; Salifert for No3. I think the trick is to just being consistent...comparing results of No3 between two different brands of tests will give different numbers and therefore confuse you. Just stick with one test and go with it.
I like the Hanna for Alk - very easy to use

Pistol Peet

Reefing , family ,God, country.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It definitely helps to know what kind of reef you're looking to have i test my parameters weekly water changes weekly 20% congratulations on being a new reefer welcome to reef2reef you'll find the people here very very helpful and knowledgeable about these things that you say you're not knowing yet give us some time you'll know trial and error except you get in take our errors and learn the trial without having to make it yourself

OP
OP
Angeleyes reefraf

Angeleyes reefraf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you tell me what all that is? no3 nitrates po4? potassium alk alkalinity ca? calcium mg? what is everything I should be checking?
no2 no3 ph (alk)? po4(potassium)? what is gh and kh Important?
its a 20 gal. weekly water changes? really? Definitely different than my freshwater. lol

Pistol Peet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you tell me what all that is? no3 nitrates po4? potassium alk alkalinity ca? calcium mg? what is everything I should be checking?
no2 no3 ph (alk)? po4(potassium)? what is gh and kh Important?
The most important parameters to check are going to be calcium alkalinity magnesium pH ammonia nitrate

Pistol Peet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most important parameters to check are going to be calcium alkalinity magnesium pH ammonia nitrate
Your Trace elements like the potassium and iron and so forth are not as needed in testing right away not till you get a tank full of reefs there's some of those Trace elements that I've never tested for and have three successful tanks

burningmime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If all you have is Zoas, mushrooms, and a Kenya tree, there's no reason to test any of those except nitrate/phosphate (and ammonia until the tank is cycled). Calcium/Alk/Mag only matter for stony corals (corals that lay down a skeleton), not for soft corals.

Honestly, I would start by just testing salinity. Keep your salinity constant, and keep doing water changes, which will replace any elements you need.

Do you have any fish, or just corals?

OP
OP
Angeleyes reefraf

Angeleyes reefraf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought it was already cycled it's been up for over a month and I've had several algae blooms Which I assume I just continue to Clean off the glass correct in Stir up the substrate.

OP
OP
Angeleyes reefraf

Angeleyes reefraf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If all you have is Zoas, mushrooms, and a Kenya tree, there's no reason to test any of those except nitrate/phosphate (and ammonia until the tank is cycled). Calcium/Alk/Mag only matter for stony corals (corals that lay down a skeleton), not for soft corals.

Honestly, I would start by just testing salinity. Keep your salinity constant, and keep doing water changes, which will replace any elements you need.

Do you have any fish, or just corals?
1 snowflake clown and 1 black and white clown

OP
OP
Angeleyes reefraf

Angeleyes reefraf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about lighting? i do not want a debate just to know if this should be adequate and how long to run white/blue and just blue. I have been doing white/blue for 10-12 hrs then blue for 2 hrs or so. ij am running 2

Screenshot_20201029-174847_Amazon Shopping (1).jpg

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought it was already cycled it's been up for over a month and I've had several algae blooms Which I assume I just continue to Clean off the glass correct in Stir up the substrate.
If you have been up and running for over 30 days, then your tank is cycled. The tank is going to go through some crazy algae blooms...just keep it clean and move on with it. Once the algae starts, you can start adding some clean up crew...ie: snails to assist with the algae formation.

A good rule of thumb is do do a 10-20% water change every 7-10 days. This alone in a new tank with minimal corals should keep your alkalinity and trace elements good. It is also a good way to control the export of nitrates and phosphates as well if they start to elevate. Just don't let no3/po4 bottom out and stay that way....that is asking for dinos to take hold, which can ruin your love of the hobby!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
1. Do I need to actually decide what "kind" of reef tank I am going to be aiming toward? Different coral require diff specs right?
Yes . . . . Are you doing reef, mixed reef, or fish only. Mixed reef requires specifics for survival of Lps and Sps

2. I have 3 mushrooms. zoa's and a kenya tree right now. What should my tank specs be? See chart below for reference

At minimum:
Salinity 1.024-1.025
ph 8.1-8.3
temp 77-79
Moderate lighting and water flow

3. How often should I check my specs?

Weekly unless something does not look right, then sooner

Parameters.png

Back