I really need help!! Sick orchid dotty back

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the experience with my 6g nano tank. I added corals 1.5 months in and I never had any issues. The acro’s are bold I admit but I’ve been dosing my tank to get my parameters the same as my nano where they’ve been “parked”. I’m keeping an eye out for any changes in them and worst case I move them back. My ugly stage in my nano was also never really bad so I’m hoping for the same here by copying what I did there (light schedule etc…) I also check my parameters every other day. Is it that crazy to add corals two months in in your opinion?
Basic parameters aren't the issue. I would suggest letting your tank's biome mature quite a bit longer, but that's just me. In ~30 years I've learned that excessive patience is much more important. You'll likely go through diatoms, dino, cyano, i.e., the uglies.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basic parameters aren't the issue. I would suggest letting your tank's biome mature quite a bit longer, but that's just me. In ~30 years I've learned that excessive patience is much more important. You'll likely go through diatoms, dino, cyano, i.e., the uglies.
Agreed, but none of which seems to be the issue with this fish. FWIW, looks like aggression to me. Pay attention, notice if it looks better or worse by the day

OP
OP
Miemaes

Miemaes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then no concern
As you know, clowns can do some strange things and “playful” is a good descriptio
I do appreciate your input. I’m always open to sound advice and I haven’t been into this hobby for a full year. Been picking up things from the internet, great advice from here and things I’ve learned by doing it. I appreciate all the help.

OP
OP
Miemaes

Miemaes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, but none of which seems to be the issue with this fish. FWIW, looks like aggression to me. Pay attention, notice if it looks better or worse by the day
I will keep a close eye on it. I was almost certain he was sick but all of your insights now made me aware it could be something else. I’ll leave my camera rolling tomorrow when I feed them and I’m not around the tank to see if I might learn something more.

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would advise not adding anything to the tank for quite a while. Nano tanks are too small to withstand changes, which can be quite dramatic in severity and timing compared to large tanks.

OP
OP
Miemaes

Miemaes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would advise not adding anything to the tank for quite a while. Nano tanks are too small to withstand changes, which can be quite dramatic in severity and timing compared to large tanks.
How long would you wait in your opinion?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do appreciate your input. I’m always open to sound advice and I haven’t been into this hobby for a full year. Been picking up things from the internet, great advice from here and things I’ve learned by doing it. I appreciate all the help.
Our pleasure.
Happy Holidays

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some ppl are pro adding them to the tank without QT?
I think it's a matter of whether people have the willingness to set up a QT. People would QT if they could.
I dont qt and never had losses to disease. Ive also never medicated my tank or used chemicals. At this point, I believe if I did- the fish would have zero immunity to whatever is already in the tank. New fish may show some spots for a few days then they go away to never return. I'd rather them potentially die the natural way than alone in a small, empty, tank being treated with medicine for stuff they may or may not have. Idk how well this would work adding untreated fish to a tank of treated fish, the others will probably die because they have no immunity to anything

EliMelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some ppl are pro adding them to the tank without QT?
Yep, it’s quite a famous debate here. I tried the quarantine method but made a mistake and got ich in my tank. I then proceeded to set up a Uv sterilizer, feed heavy and a balanced healthy diet, added live blackworms, some immune booster and haven’t had any illness or disease in my tank since. Paul B has been in the hobby longer than most of us have been born and he’s a huge advocate of the quarantine less tank. Fish just need the proper food to build immunity to disease.

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most experienced reefers have, more than once, wondered if they'd have been able to save livestock if they had a QT. It's easy to treat fish, especially, if you can treat with copper, antibiotics, or even a FW dip, in a QT. Those things are impossible in the display tank.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really hard to believe.
Most experienced reefers have, more than once, wondered if they'd have been able to save livestock if they had a QT. It's easy to treat fish, especially, if you can treat with copper, antibiotics, or even a FW dip, in a QT. Those things are impossible in the display tank.
Believe it. And I didn't qt my live rock(actual coral skeleton rock from the ocean) either. My losses come from my jerk desjardini harassing and beating up fish. Nothing against qt. In fact it very well can save fish that are already sick. I just don't believe in prophylactically treating a healthy fish exhibiting no symptoms. To each their own... but, there are plenty people letting nature do its thing with success.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 150 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back