Dutch apple
zDZidEfLT2edw%bdzQ6GQQ.jpg

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Do not be too impressed. I have not been highlighting the massive bubble algae outbreak. I added an Emerald Crab, but should have added a few. I may "rent" some more. Really bummed. I thought I cleared it all out. Then, over a month later, a little bit on every rock.
Don't get upset over Bubble Algae. Unless it's like covering all your rocks. Or it's that Nasty Cylinder shaped kind (hard to pluck), which I've also had, but it too went away.
I don't think I've ever seen a Mature tank without any hiding somewhere.
In my old 15+ year tank it has come and gone over the years. I really haven't figured out why it get's worse, and then just vanishes one day. Probably Spray Feeding Tank.
I got used just plucking the Bubbles (only when they get big enough to remove whole) , or when enough of them clumps loosely so I can pull them out out easily WHOLE!!!
I try not to pop them at all, since I think that releases spores to spread MORE. Better to hold off on pluck, till you can get it out whole.

I'm not saying don't try to get rid of it at Early Stage. I did that, in my New SPS tank (twice), and so far, I haven't seen any come back a 3rd time.

I wonder what you think of as MASSIVE. First time you get Bubble, you may think it's massive. Rakie's bubble outbreak was Massive.

I hope it's not Massive.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't get upset over Bubble Algae. Unless it's like covering all your rocks. Or it's that Nasty Cylinder shaped kind (hard to pluck), which I've also had, but it too went away.
I don't think I've ever seen a Mature tank without any hiding somewhere.
In my old 15+ year tank it has come and gone over the years. I really haven't figured out why it get's worse, and then just vanishes one day. Probably Spray Feeding Tank.
I got used just plucking the Bubbles (only when they get big enough to remove whole) , or when enough of them clumps loosely so I can pull them out out easily WHOLE!!!
I try not to pop them at all, since I think that releases spores to spread MORE. Better to hold off on pluck, till you can get it out whole.

I'm not saying don't try to get rid of it at Early Stage. I did that, in my New SPS tank (twice), and so far, I haven't seen any come back a 3rd time.

I wonder what you think of as MASSIVE. First time you get Bubble, you may think it's massive. Rakie's bubble outbreak was Massive.

I hope it's not Massive.

By massive I mean there is a little on every rock and there is more every day. A couple of LPS have it encroaching. The Emerald is eating, but it is spreading. Water change and rock blowoff tomorrow, so hopefully that helps. I am not too worried really.

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not worry, @jsker I would not desecrate your masterpiece with cheese. From what I have seen I trust your servings to need nothing extra.
chocolate espresso cheese cake
Orlando-20130724-00071.jpg

that is all the hijacking I will do

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If a bubble pops before it is ready then the spores it releases aren't viable so it will not spread. The only way popping a bubble will cause the algae to spread is if it were ready to pop on its own anyway.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orlando-20130724-00071.jpg

that is all the hijacking I will do

Sharing treats is never hijacking. I bet I could enjoy my birthday with just your fresh baked bread alone.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By massive I mean there is a little on every rock and there is more every day. A couple of LPS have it encroaching. The Emerald is eating, but it is spreading. Water change and rock blowoff tomorrow, so hopefully that helps. I am not too worried really.
A little on every Rock and Spreading is Typical.
I find that as it spreads it uses up whatever is fueling it and will so slow, then just die off and/or the bubble go thin, clear, and vanish. Unless you feed whatever it fueling it more.

But what is interesting, that in all they years that I've had Bubble Algae, I always threw in a Emerald Crab. (textbook solution)
NEVER DID I See An Emerald Eat Bubble in front of me. Only Regular Algae.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If a bubble pops before it is ready then the spores it releases aren't viable so it will not spread. The only way popping a bubble will cause the algae to spread is if it were ready to pop on its own anyway.
Good to know. I guess it has to be RIPE seeds.
POP away!!
At least I feel better since last removal I got 5 whole, and the one wedged in POPPED and I was upset I will have more coming.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little on every Rock and Spreading is Typical.
I find that as it spreads it uses up whatever is fueling it and will so slow, then just die off and/or the bubble go thin, clear, and vanish. Unless you feed whatever it fueling it more.

But what is interesting, that in all they years that I've had Bubble Algae, I always threw in a Emerald Crab. (textbook solution)
NEVER DID I See An Emerald Eat Bubble in front of me. Only Regular Algae.

Something is eating it so I assume the crab. I did see a Trochus on some today, but assumed it was just passing by.

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sharing treats is never hijacking. I bet I could enjoy my birthday with just your fresh baked bread alone.
have a good morning all, I have to be up in a few to do the deep clean

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should also add, I have been feeding more lately. A bigger morning feeding and a small feeding of pellets only later in the day. This is when the bubbles really started coming in. The tank will adapt.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.3%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 171 72.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.1%
Back