OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about this for better, two live Improv performances featuring my little girls, an acrobat circus, rides and hot chocolate. We had three unrelated events all within walking distance of each other once we parked. It was perfect. Kids were finally in bed around midnight. They never stay up that late, but eh, it is Christmas.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are my performers

Molly’s group (in the center, pink pants)
5ECB0F58-DE95-4281-A104-875772A32C38.jpeg

Katie’s group (the tiny one being held up)
B3129F43-29B4-4CA5-8598-BEB9335DF812.png

Their instructor Michael in the blue shirt was Michael in The Blair Witch Project.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about taking mine ice skating next week. He's never been.

One of the few coordinated things I can do really well. Can you skate? How long has it been if so?

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad news. I had to remove the Toadstool Leather coral. Our first coral that came as a freebie with some livestock. It was never secured down and for that reason has been relentlessly abused by snails and myself. When I disrupted the right side of the tank recently, he dislodged from his resting place and a rock fell on him. Nothing really different than past abuse, but this time was one too many I guess. His polyps were retracted and his skin started to harden. I was hoping he was just about to shed again, but then he turned dark brown and grey and everything around him started looking bad. I figured it was likely Leather toxins. Took him out yesterday and today the anemone and corals that seemed irritated are all back to normal. Seems I made the right call.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That stinks. I'm sorry. :(

Thank you, pal. I was more surprised than anything else. He took a ton of abuse and I know you can pretty much cut that coral up like a sponge and it will grow anew. Looking forward I want to redo the whole right side again, I love where the anemone rock sits, but all of the small supporting rocks are haphazard. I will probably not do anything though for now as I am religiously trying to stay out of the tank and keep things super simple at the moment.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, pal. I was more surprised than anything else. He took a ton of abuse and I know you can pretty much cut that coral up like a sponge and it will grow anew. Looking forward I want to redo the whole right side again, I love where the anemone rock sits, but all of the small supporting rocks are haphazard. I will probably not do anything though for now as I am religiously trying to stay out of the tank and keep things super simple at the moment.
Oh, man that sucks.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad news. I had to remove the Toadstool Leather coral. Our first coral that came as a freebie with some livestock. It was never secured down and for that reason has been relentlessly abused by snails and myself. When I disrupted the right side of the tank recently, he dislodged from his resting place and a rock fell on him. Nothing really different than past abuse, but this time was one too many I guess. His polyps were retracted and his skin started to harden. I was hoping he was just about to shed again, but then he turned dark brown and grey and everything around him started looking bad. I figured it was likely Leather toxins. Took him out yesterday and today the anemone and corals that seemed irritated are all back to normal. Seems I made the right call.
Sorry to hear about the leather.
That's odd. I've had leathers for years, and ton's of abuse. Used to toss it around, prune it, got stung by euphylia, etc.
Even when cutting.... the smallest left over piece would spring back and start growing.
Only once during a Tank Copper poisoning did a portion of a leather die off, and it kind of disintegrated into a powder like consistency.
However removing him was a good idea since soft coral toxins as you say can certainly affect your other healthy corals.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about the leather.
That's odd. I've had leathers for years, and ton's of abuse. Used to toss it around, prune it, got stung by euphylia, etc.
Even when cutting.... the smallest left over piece would spring back and start growing.
Only once during a Tank Copper poisoning did a portion of a leather die off, and it kind of disintegrated into a powder like consistency.
However removing him was a good idea since soft coral toxins as you say can certainly affect your other healthy corals.

The anemone was off for a couple of days. Could not chance it. After removing the Leather, the anemone opened back up full. Seemed strange to me too.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Continuing my thoughts on the anemone, I still have concern about the Palythoas as well (reminder, the Palythoas were live rock hitchhikers). Here is a comparison before I elaborate

09/26/18
91FE4F98-6FDE-455B-808C-B858F8933803.jpeg

11/07/18
C1314968-423E-4DDF-9542-645C1CEBA7C2.jpeg

12/09/18
B40F6250-4FA8-44BB-AB7E-5BA89BFB19F7.jpeg

As you can see, the Palythoas are getting abused. Dead or dying perhaps, certainly irritated. I have been under the assumption the anemone is slowly killing them. It also seems the anemone is distancing himself from them since I removed the Leather, but he may just be boosting himself up closer to the light.

With the unexplained fish and shrimp losses I have had, I am always looking for a scapegoat. Palythoa toxin would be an obvious culprit. I have mentioned my concerns before and frankly there is no way to test my theory. I will insert a reminder here that I run carbon in a bag and change it every 3-4 weeks.

The anemone looks pretty good in the picture. He looks much better since I removed the dying Toadstool Leather. I have considered scraping the remaining Palythoas off, but have not because of the toxin risk. I could easily chisel the rock apart, but I love the shape and the crevice is too perfect for an anemone. In the end I will probably just do what I usually do. Stay calm and monitor the situation.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 68 45.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 70 46.4%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 13 8.6%
Back